Iora Health "health coaches" Reviews | Glassdoor

Iora Health Employee Reviews about "health coaches"

Updated Apr 13, 2019

4.0
Iora Health CEO Rushika Fernandopulle
Rushika Fernandopulle
Pros
  • "Everyone I work with is passionate about our mission - restoring humanity to healthcare(in 6 reviews)

• "Great model/company culture and supportive/respectful working environment(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Health coaches concept unique in a sense that they may or may not have medical knowledge but once they have experience creates a great health team(in 7 reviews)

• "Very strict attendance policy, dead-end job/little room for growth, not very good management(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "health coaches"

Return to all Reviews

"A great way to start out in healthcare"

I worked at Iora Health full-time

Pros

The company culture is fantastic--Iora does well at hiring friendly, driven people who all share the same passion for healthcare. I greatly enjoyed the amount of teamwork necessary to provide patients with the best care possible. Good intentions for work/life balance with the strict policy to "drop everything" when the clinic closes at 5 PM. An excellent place to start a career in healthcare, even if you don't... have any prior healthcare experience. Teams will vary from clinic to clinic but it seems most everyone is kind, patient and encouraging to new hires. Very dynamic environment; no two days are the same! It was a joy to go into work each day. Provides many rewarding challenges. Perfect environment for extroverted people to shine as they create and maintain relationships with patients.

Cons

While it's great they're trying to grow, it seems like management is biting off more than they can chew; many ground-level employees were wary of opening more clinics before having concrete processes in place. Workload can get extreme for everyone, providers or otherwise. There are days when health coaches find it difficult to take breaks or even use the restroom because the appointments are booked back-to-back.... These schedules leave little room for accomplishing patient navigation/advocacy tasks, causing delays in effective care. Overtime is rare. If you're hourly and get caught working outside of clinic hours, you get dinged--but then there's still pressure to get everything done when there quite literally isn't enough time in the day.

Advice to Management

Create further growth opportunities at the clinic level, as it seems many people stagnate. Provide more training and education so that employees can provide even better care for patients. Prioritize team safety and clinic security from the get-go, not after an incident occurs. Remain transparent in conflict resolution--keeping teams in the dark creates further stress when issues come to light.

Iora Health2018-10-31

"Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Health Coach

I have been working at Iora Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment, great coaching experience, and learning multiple clinical skills

Cons

Little room for advancement within the company for Health Coaches

Iora Health2019-04-14
  3. "Working at Iora"

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Iora Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great model/company culture and supportive/respectful working environment. -Less patient load so you can provide holistic care without rushing through the visit. - Employee satisfaction is taken into consideration. - Health coaches work along with the provider in providing support in all ways and keeping in close contact with the patients as compared to the traditional model.

Cons

- Unique healthcare approach which takes time getting used to. - Health coaches concept unique in a sense that they may or may not have medical knowledge but once they have experience creates a great health team.

Advice to Management

N/A

Iora Health2019-04-14

"Health Coach"

I worked at Iora Health full-time

Pros

Great company, amazing culture, weekly groceries,

Cons

Some practices are closing across the country and also no real role advancement for health coach

Iora Health2017-11-27

"Primary Care Physician"

Current Employee - Primary Care Physician in Denver, CO

I have been working at Iora Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Iora is an organization that I didn't think existed in healthcare. Iora has set up fully fully capitated payment models so we are not working in a fee for service system. We have designated time for population health 1/2 day each week and another 1/2 designated for panel rounding and proactive management. Our appointment are on average 1 hour long. We have a health coach who carries their own panel who serves... as a medical assistant and a coach. Our health coaches are the center of the motivation and behavioral change relationship. We have health coach only visits as well where they address prevention and work with patients on behavior change based on their values. For our elderly who can not drive iora pays for uber to pick them up and drop them off. Iora's mission to transform healthcare is not just a mission but is shown every day through our teams actions and the culture that is central to our model. There are no offices that separate team members just one huddle table where we all work from. We all contribute perspectives when managing our complex patients. We also have community events including diabetes education to knitting to provide a social environment for our patients. I was burning out as a primary care physician in the fee for service world. Iora has helped me realize why I went into medicine in the first place. There is also great room for moving up the leadership ladder as the company continues to grow.

Cons

Iora being a start up is still in the early phases of developing structure around clinical processes. There sometimes is multiple goals and expectations going on at once that need to be balanced. It is also difficult at times describing this new care model to new patients. Though after exposure most love it.

Advice to Management

Continue to work towards matching 401k as a benefit, continue to develop continuous adult learning programs for our health coaches.

Iora Health2017-05-25

"What healthcare needs."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Iora Health full-time

Pros

- This company is delivering amazing care to patients that you won't see in other care settings. They truly value and prioritize what is right for the patient. - The model allows for a whole team (physician, RN, health coach, etc.) to advocate and work with patients and there families, you never are alone in decision making. - Because it is a new company, there is the ability to be creative with roles and use... your individual strengths to maximize patient care. - The company values work/life balance and helps you achieve it. - They incorporate technology in patient care settings to help make things convenient for the patient as well as the care team. - The company encourages and desires the patient to be involved in their care-plans and overall well-being. They support the patient in taking charge of their own health in a holistic approach rather than performing tasks for the patients.

Cons

Because it is still considered a new company, individual roles are still being created and there is still room for roles to be developed and for more structure.

Iora Health2017-05-18

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Health Coach in Denver, CO

I worked at Iora Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice start up company. You feel good about the work you do every day. You leave home fulfilled. There are tough days. The good thing thing is you have a great team. Good benefits. Good PTO time.

Cons

Some of the people they hire, I still wonder. The hiring process can take a while. They have some things to work on as a start up company. Health coaches do so much.

Iora Health2017-04-04

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Frustrated Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Iora Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

At first it seems like a great place to work. SOME good doctors. "Restoring Humanity to Healthcare". Pay is ok. Hours are ok.

Cons

Extremely tense work environment. Doctors treat staff very poorly. Poor benefits. No 401k match. The staff want to do a good job but they hire people with no medical background to take care of patients that are very, very ill. "Health Coaches" are told they do not need a medical background but what is required is that you know chronic diseases and how to help a patient manage them. Management doesn't listen to... anything you have to say. "We'll figure it out" mentality. Cult like atmosphere. Attitudes from staff are, "I know what i'm doing and you don't, so I'm not going to listen even though I have no idea what I'm doing." Patient volume is down and unsustainable. Recognition is not given where it's due but rather to those who talk a lot. I've seen some really great people leave this company and some really poor employees stay. Not good.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees that know what they are doing. Take their advice, especially if you are new to healthcare. Stop hiring extremely sensitive individuals who don't know anything about healthcare. Instead, Hire people that will listen, have a good heart and are willing to do what it takes to become great what they do. It's not about pushing back on people for the sake of doing so. People are placed into higher... positions with no formal training but rather because "They've been working there".

Iora Health2017-03-28

"Health Coach"

Former Employee - Health Coach

I worked at Iora Health full-time

Pros

Great culture and values innovation and restoring humanity to healthcare. Attentive leadership, intuitive record and IT systems and aggressive company growth.

Cons

Need to transition out of the start up mentality with tons of ambiguity to parameters that set protocols to ensure quality standards across the clinics moving forward. For the health Coach position they tend to employ individuals from new grads to the very experienced but the salary does not reflect the experience individuals bring to the table (same for most). Also need to have a better development plan for coaches... moving forward.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees, please invest in a better incentive plan for your Health Coaches, they give their heart and soul with the work that they do and this should be recognized in a better way than current practice.

Iora Health2016-06-28