Ipsos Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ipsos Chairman and CEO Didier Truchot
Didier Truchot

Pros
  • Great mentorship, and excellent work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Excellent staff, fun work environment (if you look for it), big name recognition (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard to manage (in 65 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours and overtime is not paid (in 69 reviews)

"No Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A prestigious company in the space with nice facilities, good benefits including PTO (though PTO is difficult to use. Expect your work to go with you on vacation.) Company sponsored recreational sports teams.

Cons

No work-life balance, cut-throat competition amongst teammates, outdated technology, managerial power is unlimited and largely unchecked, little to no investment in employee growth or progress. On top of all of this, they refuse to face these issues head on and make a change and instead choose to dispute the claims of former employees on Glassdoor in petty responses that insinuate the former employee to be a liar. (Example, a former employee stated they were told an analyst job was offering $40k in Chicago, and HR replied here to say there was no such offer. However, I was told the exact same salary range of $40k to $45k when I applied for that same position, which is why I took a different position with the company in the long run. Clearly this person was not telling a lie.)

The culture is a very "work hard don't play at all" culture that they disguise by offering in-office holiday parties with beer/wine and snacks and by repeatedly stating that they have great work/life balance. A lesson learned from this was that if you have to repeatedly state that you have great work/life balance, you don't have it. For perspective, if I left at or near 5, I got a note about how I wasn't dedicated to the company. You're expected to work 8am to 6pm minimum on almost every team, regardless of whether or not your workload demands it. Up until I put in my two weeks' notice, I felt I had to be in the office an hour early and leave a minimum of an hour late. I started just sitting at my desk, messing around until my boss left at 6:30 or 7 just so they wouldn't be upset. Then, I would take my laptop home and leave it on until I went to bed so that I would be able to answer any emails that came through. I took my laptop on every vacation I took while employed at Ipsos, because my manager's expectation was that I was never not "on." Overall, it's the epitome of what you see in think-pieces every week: you're chained to your laptop and email, and if you even mention your personal life or interests at a happy hour or while brewing coffee in the break room, prepare to have it used against you to show your lack of dedication.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees by being an active member of their support team rather than giving vague instructions demanding absolute perfection. Stranding employees on their own and leaving them with no support below or above them is a recipe for disaster and high turnover.

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are good and you can work from home if you need.

Cons

No bonuses. No upward mobility. The salary increases are minimual even if you score well on your performance every year.

Advice to Management

Stop fighting among yourselves and start focusing on your employees

Ipsos Response

Apr 7, 2017

We appreciate you sharing your feedback. After a great performance in 2016, we actually shared record bonuses with our team in North America, in the range of 25% of staff in research departments were ... More

"Former DP"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Ipsos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

You get lost in the vast sea of employees. Company is too large.

Advice to Management

none

"Run"

Current Employee - Research Manager in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great name to add to resume
    Good employee benefits
    Work with very smart people and interesting companies

Cons

Long hours
    Large, segmented company, work on very specific tasks within company that can hold back your longterm development
    Poor culture, especially in this location
    High rate of turn-over from employee burnout or layoffs
    Terrible opportunity to move up - promotions often do not add responsibility and come with low raises (often less than 3%) and unlikely to actually receive bonus.

Advice to Management

Fix the culture! People are unhappy and you cannot retain unhappy employees. Also pay people their market value instead of nickle and diming them.

"The 'cover' looks good, the book is not very"

Current Employee - Director in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a good name in the industry, above average paid vacation/holiday time with Friday summer hours, many office locations/company openness to working remotely (manager and job-dependent, of course), plenty of intelligent, friendly people work here, people generally and genuinely get along well, not a company environment where people step on other people to climb up the ladder.

Cons

Comparatively low salaries, low bonuses/lack of bonus structure, below average equipment/IT, health insurance is getting worse and worse (probably a general trend, but Ipsos has been switching insurance companies every year for worsening policies, I suspect for lower costs to the company). Also, no cohesion across the company verticals, no cohesion across geographies within verticals. Worst of all, still doing things the old fashioned way in terms of manually doing repetitive, tedious tasks; no attempt to change that from above, mid-, or below (no encouragement nor resources to do so). Did I mention the long hours? -- this as a result of lack of modernization.

Advice to Management

Modernize for the future or you will fail to attract/retain the best and brightest

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Good place to learn about market research. Focus on business units helps you become an expert in what you do.

Cons

Low pay, long hours. Weak middle/upper management. Even bosses are continuously complaining about working here, which is terrible for a morale thay wasn't very high to begin with.

"Research Analyst, Copy Testing"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best parts of my job was the people I worked with. My office had a lot of younger people who were very nice. The company has a good amount of vacation. 15 vacation days, 5 sick days, and around 11 holidays. This is a good company to get your first job.

Cons

During the winter it can get very busy and you put in a lot of hours. Since these jobs are salary you won't get overtime. My biggest problem was when I hit my one year anniversary I didn't receive a raise. For the type of clients I worked on and the quality of my work I was very disappointed which was one of the main reasons I decided to pursue other options. Also the structure of their reviews are a joke. It is virtually impossible to get 5 stars on any categories and 1st years cannot get over a 2.5, it doesn't make much sense and managers will admit that as well. I would advise people to go into Client Service since I feel there is more room for growth there.

Advice to Management

Increase your employee salaries especially when you lay off a bunch of people and more of the work load falls on the people still there.

"Ipsos"

Former Employee - Senior Project Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Project Director in New York, NY

Pros

i really can't think of any pros

Cons

bad structure, they don't care about your career or helping you move up, always making empty promises

Advice to Management

find a way to get organized

"Nice benefits, lousy pay and no job security"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health care benefits were nice with Cigna, 100% coverage after you reach your deductible which wasn't higher than $2000 for the year depending on number of dependents. People were nice! Company provided breakfast every Friday as well as provided quarterly social get together usually in the office for food and refreshments.

Cons

Upper management doesn't care about it's employees. Rarely would you have a bonus going to someone under Middle management. Limit career growth potential in many groups. Salary is below industry median for many jobs. Most jobs are moving offshore to Romania or India, and because of this quality has suffered. The atmosphere is very, VERY politically motivated.

Advice to Management

Management would often ask how do we increase morale and motivation. It is simple really... Give pay raises based on real job performance! And not some predetermined 1.xx% raise or 2% if your luck. If employees know, that if they produce kick-ass work and will get equally rewarded this will motivate anyone!! The threat of losing your job isn't really motivation. Also stop sending jobs offshore to save a few bucks as a short term solution and instead invest in your people and they will help innovate and produce greater profits for foreseeable future.

"Research analyst"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Great people to work with
    Flexibility and ability to work from home

Cons

No room for growth
    Low salary
    Disconnect between upper management and what actually goes on

Advice to Management

Invest more in young talent.