Ipsos Reviews | Glassdoor

Didier Truchot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Changing Workplace"

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Some of the greatest people to work with

Cons

Uneven management across different departments

"Learn and get out"

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Culver City, CA

I worked at Ipsos (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience. Decent potential for growth if you find yourself in the right team.

Cons

Very cynical and demeaning. Expectations exceed compensation. Demotivating!

Advice to Management

When you hire people, make sure they possess people skills as much as work experience. IQ can take you only so far, EQ takes you all the way. Managers should not be allowed to demotivate analysts to a limit that working conditions become unacceptable.

"Current Employee"

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Working with smart, driven people

Cons

Disfunctional and inefficient environment, poor work life balance with a lot of stress and low pay

"No Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A prestigious company in the space with nice facilities, good benefits including PTO (though PTO is difficult to use. Expect your work to go with you on vacation.) Company sponsored recreational sports teams.

Cons

No work-life balance, cut-throat competition amongst teammates, outdated technology, managerial power is unlimited and largely unchecked, little to no investment in employee growth or progress. On top of all of this, they refuse to face these issues head on and make a change and instead choose to dispute the claims of former employees on Glassdoor in petty responses that insinuate the former employee to be a liar. (Example, a former employee stated they were told an analyst job was offering $40k in Chicago, and HR replied here to say there was no such offer. However, I was told the exact same salary range of $40k to $45k when I applied for that same position, which is why I took a different position with the company in the long run. Clearly this person was not telling a lie.)

The culture is a very "work hard don't play at all" culture that they disguise by offering in-office holiday parties with beer/wine and snacks and by repeatedly stating that they have great work/life balance. A lesson learned from this was that if you have to repeatedly state that you have great work/life balance, you don't have it. For perspective, if I left at or near 5, I got a note about how I wasn't dedicated to the company. You're expected to work 8am to 6pm minimum on almost every team, regardless of whether or not your workload demands it. Up until I put in my two weeks' notice, I felt I had to be in the office an hour early and leave a minimum of an hour late. I started just sitting at my desk, messing around until my boss left at 6:30 or 7 just so they wouldn't be upset. Then, I would take my laptop home and leave it on until I went to bed so that I would be able to answer any emails that came through. I took my laptop on every vacation I took while employed at Ipsos, because my manager's expectation was that I was never not "on." Overall, it's the epitome of what you see in think-pieces every week: you're chained to your laptop and email, and if you even mention your personal life or interests at a happy hour or while brewing coffee in the break room, prepare to have it used against you to show your lack of dedication.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees by being an active member of their support team rather than giving vague instructions demanding absolute perfection. Stranding employees on their own and leaving them with no support below or above them is a recipe for disaster and high turnover.

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are good and you can work from home if you need.

Cons

No bonuses. No upward mobility. The salary increases are minimual even if you score well on your performance every year.

Advice to Management

Stop fighting among yourselves and start focusing on your employees

Ipsos Response

Apr 7, 2017

We appreciate you sharing your feedback. After a great performance in 2016, we actually shared record bonuses with our team in North America, in the range of 25% of staff in research departments were... More

"May have the name but not the culture"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I worked at Ipsos (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned what a big company is about and how it works. Worked on some great projects and was able to gain some good experience. The management I worked with were wonderful people, very smart. Good work life balance-but could have been the people I worked under.

Cons

The people working under the upper management were more qualified. Seems like the just bought up companies but didn't integrate them well. A lot of turnover. Seemed like the only way to get a better salary was to leave. Not really good culture.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are placing people in the correct positions. Several people I worked with could have done the job of their manager and maybe even better than the management that was there. Don't make people feel afraid, make them feel happy. There is high turnover for a reason.

"Former DP"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Ipsos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

You get lost in the vast sea of employees. Company is too large.

Advice to Management

none

"Research Analyst"

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Quick growth and fast learning process. They are ok when you ask questions and you at least get a training period which is a good thing to have, regardless of whether videos help you to learn or lot. Managers are pretty attentive and people are definitely willing to help each other. Some employees are really great and hardworking.

Cons

There is definite favoritism in the office. It often depends on who you your direct boss is or who is assigning you to things. Also Ipsos is just majorly understaffed. So you have to work some pretty long crazy hours even when your brand new and that can be very tough. Not sure what to do with that- they need to hire more people, which would only work if they paid more.

Advice to Management

Your interns who accept offers should be paid higher than new analysts...that will improve loyalty. It is so incredible necessary that you make your employees feel valued by telling them not just when they've done something wrong, but also when they do a good job. Working here can be high stress so to get a little praise after working your butt off is definitely a good idea.

"Run"

Current Employee - Research Manager in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great name to add to resume
    Good employee benefits
    Work with very smart people and interesting companies

Cons

Long hours
    Large, segmented company, work on very specific tasks within company that can hold back your longterm development
    Poor culture, especially in this location
    High rate of turn-over from employee burnout or layoffs
    Terrible opportunity to move up - promotions often do not add responsibility and come with low raises (often less than 3%) and unlikely to actually receive bonus.

Advice to Management

Fix the culture! People are unhappy and you cannot retain unhappy employees. Also pay people their market value instead of nickle and diming them.

"The 'cover' looks good, the book is not very"

Current Employee - Director in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a good name in the industry, above average paid vacation/holiday time with Friday summer hours, many office locations/company openness to working remotely (manager and job-dependent, of course), plenty of intelligent, friendly people work here, people generally and genuinely get along well, not a company environment where people step on other people to climb up the ladder.

Cons

Comparatively low salaries, low bonuses/lack of bonus structure, below average equipment/IT, health insurance is getting worse and worse (probably a general trend, but Ipsos has been switching insurance companies every year for worsening policies, I suspect for lower costs to the company). Also, no cohesion across the company verticals, no cohesion across geographies within verticals. Worst of all, still doing things the old fashioned way in terms of manually doing repetitive, tedious tasks; no attempt to change that from above, mid-, or below (no encouragement nor resources to do so). Did I mention the long hours? -- this as a result of lack of modernization.

Advice to Management

Modernize for the future or you will fail to attract/retain the best and brightest

Showing 172 of 1,119 reviews