Ipsos Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Plenty of growth opportunities and flexibility"

Current Employee - Client Service Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Service Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I’ve been working at Ipsos for several years, and even though I can indeed echo back what’s been said about long hours in other comments, it’s the same at any market research agency. If you are not ready to work long hours, agency side is not for you to begin with. However, there’s a lot of flexibility and freedom that you get in return. On top of that, the company has your back in case of a family emergency, and this is not something I’ve seen in the boutique I used to work for previously.
    To me, the biggest strength of Ipsos is the growth opportunities it offers to the valued employees, both vertical and horizontal. I have switched from one BU to another, and both managers were absolutely brilliant. Even now, finding myself at the cross roads of my next career move at Ipsos, I’m being offered a range of options by my manager.
    The top leadership at Ipsos is very involved in the company’s day-to-day business, is surprisingly humane and strong in strategic guidance. I can pay tribute to the company for finding the right people, as I’ve definitely worked with the most experienced and driven researchers in the industry, whichever BU I was in.

Cons

Naturally, there are a few very average performers, but their impact on business is minor, given the company scale. Still, this is something Ipsos might need to work on moving forward, especially when it comes to global roles.

Advice to Management

Converge technology solutions and invest in the most promising ones

"More good than bad"

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with, creative environment, ability to work virtually

Cons

As in all of market research, hours not ideal. Publicly traded company with heavy focus and pressure around "the numbers". Opportunities for growth not easily found as positions are understaffed--can't move people up if there is no one to take on their current workload.

"Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Ipsos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company and interesting work.

Cons

Your ability to succeed in the company depends on your managers and training.

Advice to Management

The majority of the managers are great. Mine gave me PTSD.

"Summer Intern"

Pros

Great people and diverse work!

Cons

Slow pace and poor internal software.

Jul 10, 2017

Congrats on your internship with us!

"Best Place to Work!"

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

Pros

- Engaged employer
    - Supportive employer
    - Interesting work
    - Opportunity to grow
    - Millennial focus
    - Company sponsored events
    - Collaborative environment

Cons

- Technology is a bit outdated
    - Typical management drama
    - Merit increases/promotions can be small increases

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on your employees and engaging us everyday! It rubs off to our clients.

Jul 10, 2017

Thanks for your advice! We couldn't agree more.

6. "Senior Research Analyst"

I worked at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Smart peers and teams are open to opinions. Good for junior staff

Cons

Long working hours; Not good for mid-to-senior staff

7. "Research executive"

I worked at Ipsos full-time

Pros

stable, learning things, prestigious

Cons

hard to be promoted, low salary

"Super cool place to work + they value their employees"

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Ipsos for three years now and truly believe this is an amazing company. The people that I get to interact with and learn from on a daily basis are talented, ambitious, focused and hilarious...

I am consistently inspired by my boss who pushes me to do more within my current role, take on more responsibilities within the company and seek out new ways to help the team. And to top it all off, she's actually a NICE person.

The people who seem to thrive here really care about the results and see the value in what Ipsos provides to help clients with their business. If you work hard, you will see opportunity for growth within the firm.

I have learned a TON and laugh every day. What more can you ask for??

Other pros: Happy Hours, Summer Hours, competitive comp + benefits, sunny and moderm office space, lots of communication from management on news + status of the company, solid work / life balance

Cons

If you're not smart, kind and fun -- this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on -- you guys are doing something right. Lots of smiles in this office!

Jul 10, 2017

Wow! Great to hear about your positive experience with us. We'll definitely take your advice to heart!

"Not a place for innovation/ambition"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Flexible WFH policy if you are aggressive about it
    -15 vacation days + 5 sick days
    -Constant fixation on boozing everybody up because everybody hates their job and everyone around them

Cons

-middle management doesn't know how to lead: they set out terrible examples of how to manage projects/people by gossiping about direct reports/clients. Morale very low because lack of support.
    -Depending on your project lead, reporting/processes are archaic. There is no room for real thinking. You are a cog in the machine checking numbers/link testing.
    -Hard work is rewarded with more work, not actual recognition
    -Promotions are based on length of stay at company, not merit
    -"Merit raises" are really just cost of living adjustments
    -Bonuses are pitiful
    -Politics is everything here. Everybody will talk about how everyone is a team and willing to lend a hand when things get crazy, but in reality, its a dog eat dog world here. There is no team here.
    -Work life balance is not a thing depending on your manager. Some demand you to work 70+ hour weeks, playing the "client-first" card
    -Literally EVERYBODY is ALWAYS looking for another job because they feel like they are either working under an idiot project lead OR they are overwhelmed by an overload of projects. There is no support system built in to help struggling workers, because the environment is so political.
    -HR is a joke. Any type of "benefit" that comes from working in a big company, like transferring to other locations is almost impossible. Reviews that could be helpful are a joke because HR can't even keep track of what new HR initiative their pushing out.

Advice to Management

First thing first- teach your midlevel managers how to manage or all those analysts you say you are investing in, will leave. Managers aren't great at communicating expectations, making moments teachable or building up teams vs. tearing them down.

"No Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ipsos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A prestigious company in the space with nice facilities, good benefits including PTO (though PTO is difficult to use. Expect your work to go with you on vacation.) Company sponsored recreational sports teams.

Cons

No work-life balance, cut-throat competition amongst teammates, outdated technology, managerial power is unlimited and largely unchecked, little to no investment in employee growth or progress. On top of all of this, they refuse to face these issues head on and make a change and instead choose to dispute the claims of former employees on Glassdoor in petty responses that insinuate the former employee to be a liar. (Example, a former employee stated they were told an analyst job was offering $40k in Chicago, and HR replied here to say there was no such offer. However, I was told the exact same salary range of $40k to $45k when I applied for that same position, which is why I took a different position with the company in the long run. Clearly this person was not telling a lie.)

The culture is a very "work hard don't play at all" culture that they disguise by offering in-office holiday parties with beer/wine and snacks and by repeatedly stating that they have great work/life balance. A lesson learned from this was that if you have to repeatedly state that you have great work/life balance, you don't have it. For perspective, if I left at or near 5, I got a note about how I wasn't dedicated to the company. You're expected to work 8am to 6pm minimum on almost every team, regardless of whether or not your workload demands it. Up until I put in my two weeks' notice, I felt I had to be in the office an hour early and leave a minimum of an hour late. I started just sitting at my desk, messing around until my boss left at 6:30 or 7 just so they wouldn't be upset. Then, I would take my laptop home and leave it on until I went to bed so that I would be able to answer any emails that came through. I took my laptop on every vacation I took while employed at Ipsos, because my manager's expectation was that I was never not "on." Overall, it's the epitome of what you see in think-pieces every week: you're chained to your laptop and email, and if you even mention your personal life or interests at a happy hour or while brewing coffee in the break room, prepare to have it used against you to show your lack of dedication.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees by being an active member of their support team rather than giving vague instructions demanding absolute perfection. Stranding employees on their own and leaving them with no support below or above them is a recipe for disaster and high turnover.

Showing 944 of 1,013 reviews