Ireland Home Based Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Ireland Home Based Services Reviews

Updated Aug 28, 2019

2.6
Ireland Home Based Services CEO John Ireland (no image)
John Ireland

"Family Caseworker"

I have been working at Ireland Home Based Services full-time

Pros

Great company, great benefits, quality monthly training, supportive supervisors and management, Co workers are helpful and build you up.

Cons

There are two separate schedules to chose from a Sunday through Thursday or a Tuesday through Saturday schedule.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and continue to support your staff through quality training and continued support of you caseworker.

Ireland Home Based Services2018-09-07

"Family Caseworker"

I worked at Ireland Home Based Services full-time

Pros

Staff and supervisors are great and always there to help!

Cons

Management and Human Resources are horrible, mean, and condescending. No room for mistakes with them. They will lie and make you look bad when you did nothing wrong!

Ireland Home Based Services2019-07-27
  3. "My time at Ireland was horrible."

I have been working at Ireland Home Based Services

Pros

Company Car, flexible schedule, I need a 5 word min.

Cons

Work environment, hourly rate so if clients didn't meet you didn't get paid and your check was little. Management needs help SOS Policies change so much and it disrupts life

Advice to Management

FOLLOW through with policies 100% of the time. not whenever you choose.

Ireland Home Based Services2019-08-28
  4. "Overall, not a job worth keeping long term."

Former Employee - Home Based Caseworker

I worked at Ireland Home Based Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company car, phone, and tablet were nice things to have as not having to use your own items. I felt that I was able to be flexible with my schedule as well as flex days to add more time off when needed (I know former coworkers did not feel the same way though). Company parties were nice and I do feel that management, at times, attempted to provide self care opportunities as well as allowed flexibility within the... job. It was easy to build rapport with families and maintain consistency.

Cons

The company needs to pay more for its employees; Knowing how much the state pays Ireland for the contracts and how little they pay employees (comparatively) is appalling. Not necessarily through personal experience but I know many former colleagues that were forced to extra cases but did not have room for them and were not informed of this before they were put on their caseload. Some of the middle management... (especially in Region 13) were severely lacking in leadership skills, empathy, willingness to work out solutions, and were non-responsive as well as lacking empathy; the fact that these individuals are still in Ireland employment is surprising. Work/life balance can be non-existent and there's a lot of pressure to work days off.

Advice to Management

You need better training department as well as a longer and more knowledgeable training session. Provide higher salaries for workers and stop taking too many cases with not enough people.

Ireland Home Based Services2019-06-07
  5. "Great supportive company"

Former Employee - Home Based Caseworker L in Columbus, IN

I worked at Ireland Home Based Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

The support you receive from from coworkers, supervisors, and above is some of the best that I’ve seen of any company. Whether it’s advice on how to work with a client, getting time off, or questions about moving up in the company there is ALWAYS someone there to guide you. It is rare to find a company where management puts its ego aside to really find what solutions are best for its clients and employees.

Cons

The work/ life balance for field workers like caseworkers and therapists is crazy. Although you have some autonomy when it comes to your schedule, it ultimately boils down to getting a minimum of 25 face to face hours. That can fluctuate depending on your case load.

Advice to Management

Please don’t make all the field staff work weekends. I hated missing so many family activities due to having to work weekends. I would suggest opening positions that were weekend only to cover the extensive need for weekend visits.

Ireland Home Based Services2018-12-03
  6. "Home Based Case Worker"

I worked at Ireland Home Based Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Admirable mission Flexible schedule Free use of car (after 90 days) Company cell phone and tablet provided

Cons

Long hours of driving all over the southern half of the state. Company has little regard for limiting travel of employees to the three or four counties they are supposed to be assigned to. It is exceedingly difficult to make a stable income or guaranteed stable amount of billable hours. When clients cancel on you (which they inevitably will, a lot) You are likely to get stuck with hours worth of decreased pay... work or no paid work at all.

Advice to Management

The high staff turn over rate has a very obvious origin. Be better to your employees and your clients will have better outcomes.

Ireland Home Based Services2018-12-05
  7. "No days off at all"

I have been working at Ireland Home Based Services full-time

Pros

The people are the best and helping them is rewarding

Cons

There is so much to say

Ireland Home Based Services2018-11-17

"Overworked, poor management"

I worked at Ireland Home Based Services full-time

Pros

Helped me determine that I no longer wanted to work in this field. Supervisors are understanding when you make "rookie mistakes" Working with Department of Child Services agents was pretty easy and effective. You are given free reign to run sessions how you like, with only minor guidelines provided. Even though I had no experience and had been out of school for two years I was still hired on very easily.

Cons

Although the mileage reimbursement helps, it's pretty low. The pay is not great either, but that's to be expected with this field. Cases got added to my caseload without me being asked about it first, then my supervisor would say she thought she told me, or one of us must have forgotten. Yeah, ok. You are almost guaranteed to be texted or called on your day off to see if you can cover someone's visitation... because they are so ridiculously understaffed The worst part to me was supervisors' attitudes. Everyone was always so negative with regards to the clients, and the final straw for me was when my supervisor called me to ask me to "tell that story" (over speakerphone to all the other supervisors) about when I took a poor client to a used car dealership and then to Wal-Mart to get groceries. Basically, the client had been sent a misleading ad implying that she could win up to $100 (just to get people in the door) and when I took her just so she could see if she won, she received a mere $5. By the end of the story, my supervisor, a few of the other supervisors, and the area director were just cracking up. If this happened to a family member or a friend, sure I might have a laugh at their expense, but this is A CLIENT and you are LAUGHING AT THEIR MISFORTUNE. This woman doesn't even have working heat. Why is this acceptable?? I put in my two weeks notice about a week after this, I could not get past it. I know dark humor helps people cope, but as I grew up poor and was always looking for ways out this really got to me. If that was me and I found out I was being laughed at I would be pretty livid.

Advice to Management

Treat your clients like human beings and don't overwork your new employees until they know what they're doing.

Ireland Home Based Services2018-11-08
  9. "Demanding but rewarding work"

I have been working at Ireland Home Based Services full-time

Pros

The variety of experiences and the opportunity to make a difference can be found here. Opportunities to advance.

Cons

I can’t think of many, but this type of work can be demanding and challenging. It may be helpful to explore whether this type of work is for you.

Ireland Home Based Services2018-07-10
  10. "Burnout"

Current Employee - Home Based Therapist I in Sellersburg, IN

I have been working at Ireland Home Based Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

The supervision is phenomenal and as a recent graduate, you are able to get a lot of experience and are able to work and develop your professional skills.

Cons

Huge caseloads, long hours and lots of driving. No work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Cut back on the hours and the amount of driving. Work with employees on a work/life balance.

Ireland Home Based Services2018-02-25