Iron Mountain Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Iron Mountain Inc President & CEO William Meaney
William Meaney

Pros
  • Work-Life balance, flexibility to work from home, good culture (in 61 reviews)

• Work from home option is available (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough minority in upper management (in 35 reviews)

• Overseas customer service is bad (in 22 reviews)

"we've been lied to."

Current Employee - Finance in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Finance in Collegeville, PA

Pros

I WAS a satisfied, hard working employee and felt my direct supervisor had a real interest in my growth and performance.

Cons

DBA consultants changed the entire company attitude. Customer service is last, numbers and production are number 1. The employee is no longer valued and in fact looked at as a liability.
    Micro-management is in place and employees who have dedicated years with stellar reviews are being tossed out the door like garbage.

Advice to Management

wake up. employees are mad and customer service is gone. You lie to your employees and customers. This will be your down fall. How long before you realize your mistake? People are not liabilitites and customers make your bottom line.

"Problems within management"

Current Employee - Oss/Tss in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Oss/Tss in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Good employees to work with.
    Decent benifits

Cons

I can't speak for the other braches around the world so i will just talk about management in the elk grove and sacramento locations. At first i enjoyed working for the company. After about a year no one seem to care anymore, it was just another paycheck to them.The morale of the employees is at a all time low and management dont seem to care because issues were brought up on dozen of occassions, but nothing was done. Their only concern was to make the numbers so they can get a nice bonus every quarter. All that was done was employees getting terminated for speaking up. By far in the Sacramento and Elk Grove branch, they have the worst management team i ever work for. Besides the constant harrassment of management as well as the lies, employees are faced with favoritism. There is a circle within the company and if you are not within that circle you are basically screwed. Employees have lost their jobs from following what their superiors told them to do. I lost count how many time management have altered documents to make themselve look good. All it cost was an employee to lose his or her job. Another thing i honestly do not understand how some people got into their positions because these individuals seem to lack skills in their department. I guess the saying is true "Do as i say and not as i do" is the real motto of the company. There is no integrity within management, they are only concern about the well being and are willing to do anything for their own benifits. The company itself is a good company, just a few individuals in certain key positions that are destroying Iron Mountain.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to evaulate whom the put in charge of running both transportation and operations of these two locations. There where too many issues that could tarnish the good name of Iron Mountain. Employees are at risk of being injuried because of faulty equipment as well as lack of proper management. No employee should work alone during the weekends as well as put their safety at risk because of poor decisions that made by their superiors. The work place should be fun and exciting place to work and not a puppet show run by a few individuals who don't even follow company rules and regulations, but expect everyone else to.

"Be wary of Favortisim"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Excellent opportunity to teach myself a new industry.

Cons

Senior Management promotes from within based on how much they like you rather than if you can do the job. Lack of training (I had to figure out how to do my job on my own) and ultimately they would rather stand behind a wrong decision then admit they were wrong.

Advice to Management

Invest more time examining your leadership in place. Find out who is their for the company and who is their for themselves. Make people demostrate their ability to do a job before you just give it to them.

"The other side of the Mountain."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA

Pros

There are some perks to working for the company. We are awarded balloons and $5.00 gift cards for going "above and beyond". The entire floor looks like a day care--how embarrassing!!!

Cons

When there is instability in senior leadership, the worst is bound to happen and it has. Change is constantly happening, the two headquartered locations are never on the same accord with anything and are to mirror each other. The tools given to us to utilize throughout the course of a day is outdated and slow which quite naturally slows down production. Mostly all department managers and supervisors are all over the place with no formal mechanical training for the environment. The selection process should be a lot tighter. Its not a matter of the experience or education they bring in with them, it is what they are applying that is not a strong fit. It is bringing the department down and is probably why turnover is so high.

Advice to Management

Defer away from being metrics driven and learn how to recognize the people who truly do a good job. Genuinely saying, "Job well done for..." can go a long way.

"Waste of my time"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Southborough, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Southborough, MA

Pros

Short distance from my home.

Cons

Management sucks, they can't execute, they are not customer focused, make stupid technologial choices based upon fan-boy opinions rather than upon established facts.

Advice to Management

Quit, you suck.

"Run away - fast"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable/Receivable in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable/Receivable in Collegeville, PA

Pros

if you want a pay check its OK until they decide you are expendable

Cons

Beware of DeWolf. They will make Iron Mountain life unbearable. Reducing you job to mindless data entry with use of common sense and brain cells are not permitted. Log your bathroom time on your action sheet and don't forget to smile. Any sort of questions are viewed as agressive and unwarranted. Open door policy is used to weed out the trouble makers and not constructive criticism.

Advice to Management

Go back to the old ways where the customer is valued and employees were proud of their employer. By streamlining you've reduced the work force to mindless drones

"Very poor place to work"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA

Pros

Looks good on your resume

Cons

Management was more concerned with saving their jobs than forwarding the mission of the company.

Advice to Management

Stick to your core competencies.

"Not too happy working at Iron Mountain"

Current Employee - Operations in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Sacramento, CA

Pros

I enjoy working my co-workers. Iron Mountain provides me with a paycheck. Some good benefits.

Cons

Many cons: 1) Poor leadership. Within the past year in Sacramento many managers and supervisors have come and gone (whether it be getting fired, quitting or getting demoted). The people at the top do not know how to choose the right leadership team. 2) No room for job advancement or growth. I know many people that I work with that want to learn more and try to better themselves so they could move up within the company but management only choose who they want, not based on job knowledge, skills or competence. They basically choose who they like so there is a lot of favoritism that goes on within the company. 3) Poor communication. Three employees recently got transferred to another Iron Mountain facility and there was no mention of it from management. There are so many questions...why did they get transferred, are we downsizing, are we losing business, who is going to get let go next? So much for open communication between upper management and employees. 4) Numbers.....that's all they care about. How many actions can you get in 8 hours? I know that performance is important for any company but employees are getting injured and many mistakes are happening because many of them are taking short cuts just to try to meet the company's daily quotas. Maybe the company should focus on something else..like giving the customer what they want (customer service at the company is not too good). I could probably list a few more cons but I think I'll stop here for now.

Advice to Management

Be more open with your employees (whether it be good news or bad news). We are all adults here so don't treat us like we're children.

"Pay was great, Management trickery prevailed"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Collegeville, PA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Collegeville, PA

Pros

Telecomuting was an option, Gym falcilites (new), not much more than that.

Cons

No formal training (go home and snuggle up with a pdf) , Boston management show a professional front, but permeate Dr Hyde, Mr. Jeckle management style. Failure to communicate effectively ... plausible deniability

The management appears to make decisions and achieve poor results, then fix then and pat themselves for a good job.... They shine away from how they got to the problem the first place....

Advice to Management

The VP level needs to be replaced, their all first timers.... Get some seasoned professionals in there.

"Misleading"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Royersford, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Royersford, PA

Pros

Always hiring - but wouldn't recommend this company to a criminal on work release.

Cons

Paid less that the work we do, poor training to complete the required work, micromanagement to the fullest. The only thing missing is informing supervisor how much I went to the bathroom. Management talks "at you" not "to you. when hired was guarenteed a bonus of 12%. Haven't seen one greater than 2% in 2 years. Promotions go to the wrong people for the positions. Major favortism/politics.

Advice to Management

Wake up and smell the coffee. You are creating the bad customer service by teh way you treat those who carry out your business. If the work gets done, stop the micromanagement. Nothings brings people down or makes them less motivated than knowing they have NO FREEDOM. Dictating breaks and lunches was the straw that broke the camels back. I would rather be a blind rodeo clown than stay here. Starting searching for jobs the moment that email was issued.