Irvine Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Irvine Company Chairman Donald L. Bren
Donald L. Bren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Irvine Company takes work-life balance to heart" (in 25 reviews)

• "Very good benefits and room for career growth" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Team is everything , work life balance is big but can be hard to find at times" (in 16 reviews)

• "Upper management treated employees like a number rather a valued member" (in 24 reviews)

1. "Great benefits comes with a tough work environment."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great compensation compared to competitors within the industry.
    - 20% discount for employee rents
    - Above average work life balance
    - Relatively young workforce

Cons

- Handcuffed by policies that do not help you in your role
    - Main focus is revenue and not genuine customer service like that which is preached
    - No support from senior management when facing objections from residents, most managers cave in and make you look incompetent and rude

Advice to Management

Smoother roll out of policies and have an understanding of how this will effect the communities.

2. "Great"

Current Employee - Technician in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time

Pros

Learn alot move up fast

Cons

You work alot and pay is ok.

"Culture of Fear"

Current Employee - General Manager in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Irvine Company on average pays more then most of its competitors.

Cons

Irvine Company is WAY too large to be managed effectively. In my 17 years of property management experience, I have never worked for an organization with so many prohibitive and restrictive policies and procedures.

The company is so over concerned with audit compliance, it looses focus on what matters most... people.

There are too many systems they demand all managers use in a regular basis. Technology they market as there to make your job easier only causes confusion, and ends up causing further “non-compliance” should you use it improperly.

Irvine Company is literally the DMV of Property Management. There are checklists upon checklists and there is zero exception to completing everything without risk of an Audit Ding.

Senior Management is FIERCE. They are incredibly intelligent and talented folks, however they are often horrible managers of... PEOPLE and run meetings like your taking the Bar Exam. This leads to often stressful, fear based, and tense work environments and communication styles. I have SO many colleagues who have been unable to seek promotion due to their relationships with Senior Management... you better make a great impression and be the shining image of positivity and collaboration if you have any hopes of a future outside your current role.

Irvine Company restructures, reorganizes and changes policies, systems, philosophy’s, leaders, technology, and physical office spaces so frequently the resident perception is often that we “blow” their money of frivolous changes instead of fucusing on upgrading amenities, resident events, etc. Many of these changes are based on the demand of the secretive chairman, Donald Bren, but overall bring some amount of benefit to the community despite their disruptive and chaotic nature.

Overall, even though I love what I do, and I adore my teams, and will likely remain here for at least another year... it’s really hard to find the passion and joy in what I do with Irvine Company with these existing working environments. I hope positive change is in the future. The foundation to have an amazing and unique one of a kind company are all here!

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees! Create an environment of success, where employees are empowered to make decisions without risk of losing their jobs or having to spend countless hours of damage control due to an audit ding. Make people happy, thank your teams and think of ways to help Community Management Directors manage people without micromanaging, being harsh and intense and by fostering an environment of positivity and care. Irvine Company is comprised of thousands of talented and VERY hard working employees. Value those relationships above all else and show us you care!

4. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Newport Coast, CA
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Newport Coast, CA

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some great employees who become your friends outside of work.

Cons

On board training and upward mobility could be improved.

Advice to Management

Work on training and career enhancement.

5. "Great Company"

I have been working at Irvine Company part-time

Pros

You learn a lot about business culture in SoCal, and have the opportunity to make connections and improve your overall interactions with others.

Cons

There are few if any cons.

6. "Changes"

I worked at Irvine Company full-time

Pros

Opportunities to grow if you are not laid off during one of many changes

Cons

Changes that happen from the top of the organization without thoughtful consideration to the impact of the decision to the business or the people

"Property Assistant"

I worked at Irvine Company full-time

Pros

You learn a lot and wear many hats.

Cons

Horrible training or little to no training.

Advice to Management

Upper Management needs to get it together, way too many politics in the way of doing our jobs. Feels like everyone is running around scared to get fired. Promote smarter people please, you let the good ones that actually know what they are doing go.

8. "Porter"

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time

Pros

Good pay, good hours, good for young people

Cons

More time off would be nice

Advice to Management

None

"Community Relations Representative"

I have been working at Irvine Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You finally get paid out for renewals the month they go into effect and they not only increased the amount for renewals ($50 to now 75) but they have individualized them. Main reason I stay at the job is that my coworkers are amazing people. They have my back and the staff I work with feels like a team. You do get vacation time (but it gets used quickly if you don't get a weekend day off) and also benefits.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like this job doesn't offer much stability. They recently laid off multiple divisions of the company when we got a new CEO. Many people lost their jobs. Even some on-site people lost their jobs as well. This mainly affected people in the corporate office and the higher up positions but its still hard to believe the company "cares" when all those people were left without jobs. Like I said in the first column, you don't get weekends off unless you are lucky. Your days off may be as such: Monday & Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, Sunday & Monday, etc.

Advice to Management

On-site transfers are the worst when it come to us in the office. We have to do the tours like a sales specialist taking us away from our tasks in the office. Although they made it so you should get $75 for transfers within the 60 day renewal period, they need to give the $75 for any transfer that's after 6 months and is an upgrade on the resident's side (going from a 1 bed to a 2). Additionally, stop punishing us for not reaching a goal. Making us work holiday's like Memorial day because we are not at 95% or higher occupancy really just isn't fair. Most resident's who drop by the office that day (like 10 people total) are always surprised or mad that we are open that day.

10. "Training Specialist"

I worked at Irvine Company full-time

Pros

The benefits and compensations were great.

Cons

It's a very traditional company.