Irvine Unified School District Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Teacher"

I worked at Irvine Unified School District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology access, PLC communities; teammwork; close to home; professional development; resource specialists; great admins/clerks; great benefits; BTSA for new teachers

Cons

high class sizes; technology not as accessible; slow computers; slow wifi; each school has different PLC definitions

Advice to Management

being more upfront about contract; be more consistent with PLC management so it's consistent at all schools; equal access to PE teachers

2. "Generally a Good District for Substitutes"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Irvine Unified School District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Respect from site staff and from Substitute Desk at district office. A very organized district that deserves the accolades it gets. Sub pay went up to $110 to match other districts. Generally congenial faculty and students at most sites.

Cons

Pay is not high enough for substitutes, hourly, or itinerant employees. Before you say substitutes don't deserve any more money, keep in mind that it is a job that is not easy in *any* district, and that to live in the Irvine area to be an on-call substitute, you have to make enough money to pay Irvine rent! I will also say: stay away from Woodbridge for substituting, and at no site should you ever do anything remotely construed as "mean," "disrespectful," "rude," "condescending," or "unkind," to any students. Wait until you see how much of your language, behavior, and mannerisms are taken as offensive to these hyper-protected students. Watch out!

Advice to Management

I would award benefits to part-time employees; currently, IUSD only gives benefits to those contracted to work 30 hours or more per week. I would not necessarily give substitutes benefits, because their work days are unpredictable and limited, but I would increase their pay to a living Orange County wage, and definitely up the wage of long-term substitutes. I was a long-term substitute last fall and was busier than I'd ever been, and could not even afford a plan under the ACA, or even a trip to the dentist.

3. "Media Tech - Part time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Irvine Unified School District (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment
    Good people
    Teamwork
    Physical and active job

Cons

No benefits for Part-time
    Have to be on your knees shelving books or setting up device carts

Advice to Management

Keeping the environment open and positive

5. "nutration assiatant"

Former Employee - Nutrition Assistant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Nutrition Assistant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Irvine Unified School District (More than 10 years)

Pros

i worked with kids that is better for me.there is lot of vacation days that make to do different.

Cons

there is no downsides.i gone back my country so i have to leave my job .

6. "special ed assistant"

I worked at Irvine Unified School District part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can be a rewarding experience

Cons

It all depends on the school you work for and personalities you're surrounded with. I've worked at some schools where the kids and staff are great and other where both are a nightmare.

"Plenty of work, well funded schools."

Pros

I've never had trouble filling up my calendar with sub days. They also auto-log your hours through AESOP so you don't need to deal with time cards. All the schools I've worked with are friendly.

Cons

No cons to IUSD specifically. AESOP has some flaws but that's not unique to Irvine. Although Laguna pays more than Irvine, I wish IUSD would match those rates.

Advice to Management

Irvine is frequently short on subs. A slightly higher daily pay could attract more subs from the nearby district.

8. "Teacher"

I worked at Irvine Unified School District full-time

Pros

Irvine was a great place to work the district office was always easy to get a hold of if you had any problems. The school itself was the best great people and parents to work with.

Cons

The only Thing that I would have to say is each person from the top to the bottom that work's their that there opponents matter.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work it is the best place place I have ever worked at the only thing is you need to have a meeting once a month were all staff is in attendance.

9. "Good Place to work"

Pros

I worked here for a few months for a part-time summer position, and I was very satisfied. Irvine has a lot of excellent resources and the work environment was good to learn in. Friendly staff and management, manageable workload, safe and clean work environment, good hours.

Cons

I guess I would like to have an opportunity to work here full time but everyone wants to live and work in Irvine.

10. "wonderful"

Current Employee - Media Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Media Specialist in Irvine, CA

Pros

good people, many opportunities, positive environment

Cons

I have not experienced any negatives.

Advice to Management

n/a

11. "Low pay, good district"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Irvine, CA

I worked at Irvine Unified School District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean schools, kids are eager to learn.

Cons

Substitution jobs are few and far between.

Advice to Management

Consider extending lunch.