Irving Independent School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jose L. Parra

Pros
  • Good salary, benefits were okay but heath insurance premiums increased a lot in the time that I worked there (in 4 reviews)

• Great teachers and working with students (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Class sizes can vary, but they work with teachers (in 3 reviews)

• Too much staff development; veteran teachers are subjected to some of the same staff development year after year (in 2 reviews)

1. "Substitute Teacher"

Current Employee - Sped Aide/Substitute Teacher in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Sped Aide/Substitute Teacher in Irving, TX

I have been working at Irving Independent School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am able to select which school I prefer to substitute. I enjoy working with high school students and the special education classes. Fair paychecks.

Cons

Salary not up to par for living expenses for Substitute Teachers.

2. "Good School District"

Former Employee - Middle School Teacher in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Middle School Teacher in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

The students are diligent workers, and the parents are easy to work with.

Cons

If you are not bilingual, it is difficult to get promoted to an assistant principal or counselor position.

Advice to Management

Cut back on the mandatory daily meetings, and allow teachers to use their planning periods to meet with each other.

3. "Work here if you dare"

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Irving, TX

I have been working at Irving Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will work with students who really need you as a teacher and their salary is higher compare to other districts in the area.

Cons

I moved here from another district because their anual salary was higher and I thought I could have a greater impact because of the student population. After two years I have regret it very much. Administrators here are hunting teachers down, they enclose you in a minute by minute instruction and don't you dare to be doing or saying something different. They will document everything you say or do. Also they are very disorganized, someone from the district will tell you what to do in a training and an administrator will give you a walk through and put you in a growth plan because you are doing what the district said but they did not know about; then you will be in the middle of a huge mess with lots of extra work having to invite people from the district and administrators to observe you, give you feed back and then you need to write reflections about what are you going to implement in your class... In the mean time you need to continue planing and delivering your daily instructions because administrators will keep coming to your class to keep finding more things that are wrong with you... Teachers are not longer trusted and you see many students in fifth grade that don't know how to read and write; no because they are new comers but because their teachers where expected to deliver lessons and work with those students even if they are not ready for it, your small group should look like your mini lesson with differentiation... but who takes care of those who don't know how to read or write? They are expected to learn this in small group by themselves, You can not teach your students those things because you will be watering down the curriculum, then you will be receiving a visit from the administrators and be in big trouble again.

Advice to Management

Our children need us! Give teachers the autonomy to work with their students to help them succeed. A team is built being helpful not hurtful. Treat your teachers the same way you are expecting them to treat their students.

5. "Everything start off great when i 1st started but now years down the line, I see racism at its best in facilities..."

Current Employee - Facilities in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Facilities in Irving, TX

I have been working at Irving Independent School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work schedule and weekends off
    Benefits
    Work Van
    Provide Tools and Uniforms

Cons

Micro managing
    Favoritism
    Discrimination
    They want to think for you

Advice to Management

Discrimination, racism, stealing, and not using proper safety equipment is going to take this place down.

6. "Good District for subs"

Former Employee - Guest Educator in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Educator in Irving, TX

I worked at Irving Independent School District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very organized hr departments for "Guest Educator" program. I found it easy to find and accept jobs and enjoyed working with the different schools, administrators, and teachers.

Cons

Certain schools are not as friendly to substitutes or "guest educators, not all schools have the same process for checking in, didn't always have a key or bathroom breaks, some "Special Education" jobs are NOT labeled as to what they are, including caregiver type duties, not mentioned, lifting special needs children, changing diapers, etc. This should be mentioned on the job description for those special jobs, it is important to know what your expectations are for those special situations instead of being blind-sided upon arrival to the job.

7. "Ups and Downs"

Former Employee - Guest Educator in Paulina, LA
    Former Employee - Guest Educator in Paulina, LA

I worked at Irving Independent School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible to make own schedule.
    Work as many days as you want. (5 min for the month)
    Gain experience if you desire to complete teaching certification.

Cons

Unaware of the environment until you walk in the classroom.
    Some schools were above average and others fell below.
    Usually Guest Educators/Subs were needed in primarily the below average schools. Seems like teachers were always calling in.

8. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Bilingual Teacher in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Bilingual Teacher in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Irving Independent School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, decent environment

Cons

Thirty minute lunch. Otherwise, ok.

Advice to Management

Teaching is a special world with a number of constraints.

"K-12 Substitute Teacher"

Former Employee - K-12 Substitute Teacher in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - K-12 Substitute Teacher in Irving, TX

I worked at Irving Independent School District (More than a year)

Pros

Great company. Loved working with students and parents!

Cons

There are no "cons," at this time.

Advice to Management

N/A

"6th 8th ELAR teacher"

Current Employee - 6th 8th ELAR Teacher in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - 6th 8th ELAR Teacher in Irving, TX

Pros

Technology
    Caring co-workers
    good location
    community based
    Veteran teachers make you feel welcome

Cons

Too worried about test scores

Advice to Management

Learn to care about keeping teachers there

11. "Top ISD in DFW"

Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher in Irving, TX

Pros

Your experience will depend on which school you work at and who the principal is. Overall, my experience was good. I was lucky to have great principals to work with who valued my professional opinion and did their best to provide me with the resources I needed to help students succeed.

Cons

Work load can be a bit overwhelming and curriculum models can change from year to year so the training you receive this year may not be relevant for the following year.