Isle of Capri Casinos Reviews in Waterloo, IA | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Isle of Capri Casinos CEO Virginia McDowell
Virginia McDowell

Pros
  • Good benefits for full timers Free lunch (in 7 reviews)

• Great place to work, very employee friendly and supportive of work life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance, but that's expected at any casino (in 6 reviews)

• Casino employees were lucky if we saw upper management on the casino floor during the week (in 10 reviews)

"Sous Chef"

Former Employee - Sous Chef in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Isle of Capri Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are amazing. Some of the peers are great at teaching.

Cons

Directors and upper management are not leaders. It is all about the bottom line no matter who they hurt or over work. Especially in Food and Beverage Department

Advice to Management

Stop trying to coach everyone who is different out and learn to teach and mentor.

2. "fire people illegally"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Isle of Capri Casinos (More than a year)

Pros

gave me my first supervisory role

Cons

they fire people illegally; I know, they did it to me, but I beat them in court. Don't take any unexpected time off for life events, or they'll fire you as a punishment. I haven't worked in a casino since then by choice, as it's a cesspool of an industry.

Advice to Management

Don't fire people illegally & unethically like you did to me.

3. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Banquet Server in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Banquet Server in Waterloo, IA

Pros

Great coworkers who truly care about making the guests and visitors happy. Very team oriented.

Cons

Long hours, but the coworkers make it enjoyable.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Buyer Beware"

Former Employee - Guest Services Representative in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Guest Services Representative in Waterloo, IA

Pros

The people are very nice. I worked in the cage and it was kind of interesting to see the behind the scenes. Nice break room. Free pop & ability to deduct meals from your paycheck.

Cons

You are required to have a gaming license. Filled out all the paperwork, went to the gaming office. Turned in my paperwork, got finger printed, and went back to HR. When I returned to HR I had to sign a form agreeing to have the $28 license fee, & $40 fingerprinting fee deducted from my first check. Bit of a surprise, probably should have told me that before I went to the gaming office. When I got other licenses for previous jobs the employer always paid for it. They gave me 3 button down shirts for my uniform. Then in orientation they make you sign an agreement that if they are not returned they will deduct $93 from your last check. There is nothing special about the shirts. Could have gotten one at Target got $15. Definitely not $31 shirts. I was charged a $10 badge fee taken out of my first check. I left on good terms, just wanted to warn folks up front of all the fees they don't tell you about until it's too late. Pretty expensive start to a $9.75/hr job. Which is another con, low pay & horrible schedules, which you can't get up front, so you'll never know what you're working until 2 weeks in advance, so if you have school age kids don't plan on seeing them.

Advice to Management

Mostly advice to HR, warn people of the fees before they start the job. Better yet, absorb the cost of the licensing yourself. I also have an insurance license, my previous employer paid for it. It's a cost of doing business. Pay for the badge yourself. Figure out a way to get people a semi regular schedule, and tell them what the hours are like at the interview. I was very disappointed in my experience here.

5. "Okay place to work till you can find better job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, IA

Pros

Earn vacation time as you work

Cons

Dwindling benefits. Smaller than ever raises. Cut many full time jobs.

Advice to Management

Passing blame constantly. Zero communication.

"sous chef"

Former Employee - Sous Chef in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Isle of Capri Casinos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free health clinic, great learning experience

Cons

poor upper management, inappropriate business practices, unethical activities within the food and beverage industry

Advice to Management

Create accountability for food and beverage management.

7. "Fun"

Former Employee - Surveillance Operator in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Surveillance Operator in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Isle of Capri Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work, good benefits and great people. Offers great training to prepare you for your job and for the most part sets you up for success. As long as you make it past your 90 day probation period attendance policy is more than fair.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like the pay isn't fair but compared to other casinos and adding in the cost of living in those areas it all makes sense. Sometimes the 3rd shift every weekend and holiday gets a little old and it can seem like you have no life but as long as you make friends on your shift you'll be okay.

"Pretty nice place"

Current Employee - Cook in Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Cook in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at Isle of Capri Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great and very friendly.

Cons

Management is not very straightforward

9. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Dual Rate Dealer in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Dual Rate Dealer in Waterloo, IA

Pros

Good wage, fun atmosphere, you can shoot the crap with players and customers...lots of games to learn so you have a variety of jobs/games you get to play or "host."

Cons

Management is TERRIBLE, to be quite frank. Promotions are not given to the correct people, management hates people that WANT to work that ACTUALLY WANT TO BE THERE. They give bad reviews to those that don't want to go home early and actually want to work their full shift. It's ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Let people that actually WANT to work and want to stay for their full 8 hour shift, work and stay. The whiners and complainers that don't want to stay can either drop down to part-time or can just go home. Also, offer more positive feed back to your dealers. The way you handle and deal with your employees is bogus and really needs to be addressed if you want people to stay.