Isobar Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

New York City, NY Area

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Maling

Pros
  • Agency moves at a rapid pace but staff are able to retain a good work / life balance (in 12 reviews)

• kheads, just a bunch of genuine, incredibly smart people trying to do the best work they can and the right thing by their staff and clients (in 9 reviews)

Cons

"Associate Director Experience Strategy & Design"

Former Employee - Associate Director Experience Strategy & Design in New York, NY

I worked at Isobar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Room for advancement
    Ability to provide creative ideas in an encouraging environment
    The people! The people are amazing. Everyone is very smart, respectful, open and fun.
    Isobarians also truly care for your wellbeing and that of your family.
    Flexibility
    Innovation initiatives that allow you to participate in cool programs to come up with something new
    Diversity: isobar is a diverse and including company
    Isobar's leaders are very approachable and smart. They also truly care.
    Isobar also offers the most comprehensive and fair benefits package I encountered in 11 yrs in the industry

Cons

Domestic travel some times.

2. "Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Isobar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented wonderful people; Flexible working from home; Good leadership

Cons

Can be long hours; Bench

"Visual Designer"

Former Employee - Visual Design in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visual Design in New York, NY

I worked at Isobar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- As a level 1 designer, you get paired up with a CD/assistant CD level to help you in the career growth. This program tremendously helps in working through one's strengths & weaknesses.
    - They take performance review seriously and theres a sense of trust that when you give you best and work quality, the upper management does notice.
    - Self-initiated GOOD committee run by passionate give-backers from various fields within the firm was a neat thing. It helped bring a sense of togetherness also.
    - Very approachable CEO

Cons

- As a designer, I had expected a setting more roudy for a design firm. Not much cross-chatting from one table to another (this might be your cup of tea though so its not necessarily a "con")

5. "Helpdesk Analyst"

Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Isobar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Corporate culture, level of care about its employees, company events, style of management and personal approach to every single employee.

Cons

Absolutely nothing comes to mind,

6. "Fantastic, grown-up digital agency"

Current Employee - Experience Design Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Experience Design Lead in New York, NY

Pros

Incredibly talented and experienced teams, Isobar only stocks the best. Big clients, and responsible management that support teams and ensure they are equipped to deliver high quality work. Always eager to review process to keep projects moving in a positive track. The social events are fun and well thought out, and coworkers are very friendly.

Cons

Can't think of a con, for an experienced employee it is a very fair workplace.

"Struggling to find its identity"

Former Employee - User Experience Lead in New York, NY
    Former Employee - User Experience Lead in New York, NY

Pros

Smart people; some brilliant leaders; good salaries

Cons

Lack of defined culture; need to have the right advocates to advance; strong disconnect between management and on the ground staff at times

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with the people doing the great work. People dont feel that they are valued or being kept in mind or in the loop when big organization wide changes or decisions are made. Also work to find a true identity. Since the merger, nobody really know what the company stands for.

"Lack of purpose, discipline, goals."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Isobar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some great contacts for life. Who all left.

Cons

There is zero positive leadership. It's all based on negative reinforcement. No growth path. Massive turnover. No sense of culture to speak of. No spirit. No collaboration. No transparency.

Advice to Management

Hire onsite project managers. Hire a creative director with vision. Hire an AE who acts as a liaison between client and creative/project builds. Figure out what your company does.

9. "Senior Functional Analyst"

Current Employee - Functional Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Functional Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Isobar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work culture and a very friendly work environment. The company has a wide range of clients/projects and provides its employees the opportunity to diversify and grow their careers. Isobar provides its employees with all the tools they need to learn and advance their careers; you are in charge of where your career will go with the company.

Cons

Having had exposure to several companies before Isobar within a corporate setting I cannot honestly say that Isobar is a pleasure to work for

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing. People are generally satisfied with the company and moralle is high; much higher than it has been with my previous employers.

Isobar Response

May 26, 2015 – HR Director

Based on the star rating I am guessing that the reviewer mis-used the word "cannot" in the "Cons" section. Seems like they were trying to say that "I can honestly say that Isobar is a pleasure to ... More

10. "I love working here so far. Great technical and creative projects and clients."

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Isobar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Isobar for less than a year, but so far I love it. The best reason to work at Isobar is how exciting the creative and technical projects are. They are growing fast and I've noticed that the trend is improving when it comes to how exciting the brief (and non-brief!) work is. I believe this is a result of their investments in R&D and innovation as well as the fact that it is now a global digital agency.

For example, the lab / hackerspace in the New York office is nice for physical prototyping and electronics... lots of great tools and resources. You can make pretty much anything in there. I also get to work with some of the smartest developers and creative coders around. Some of these guys/gals are like artists who also know how to code. Others are more like coders who have an appreciation for art. There are also hackathons, exhibitions and conferences + a fair bit of exposure to startups and new technologies (before they become available to the public). As a developer, Isobar tends to get devices first.

Isobar is also an MIT Media Lab sponsor, so that's pretty cool. They tend to hire entrepreneurial types, hackers, and hardcore coders but they also hire super creative-types as well. It's also great how cross-disciplinary it some of the projects are.

Cons

People haven't heard of Isobar! It can be annoying at times when you tell people "I work at Isobar", but since it's a pretty new company in the US, often people haven't heard of us.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

11. "Extremely smart people and lots of opportunity for personal growth, though can be demanding at times"

Former Employee - Interactive Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Interactive Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Isobar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good job security
    -Very intelligent dev teams, you will learn a ton about the industry quickly (huge plus for recent college grads)
    -Able to work from home when bad weather or other situations necessitated it
    -A few neat perks such as Bagel Fridays, and monthly company lunch meetings
    -Very fair time-off policies
    -Friendly work environment (I've never had an issue with any of my co-workers)

Cons

-I've seen quick turnover for folks who've under-performed early on
    -45+ hour work week can be tough with no overtime pay (not uncommon to be connected even after hours)
    -Work can feel a little stale if you are staffed on a retainer project with a long term contract
    -Some projects may be understaffed
    -Pay is a bit lower than average, and it can take a long time to receive a significant raise or promotion
    -Consulting environment may not be for everyone

Advice to Management

Focus more on tending to the needs of individual projects (sufficient resources/tools, etc). Also I would recommend obtaining more short term contracts as opposed to long term. Although long term means great financial security and can become stale very quickly for developers.