It's Just Lunch Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
It's Just Lunch CEO Melissa Brown
Melissa Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Its a positive work environment with amazing co workers" (in 19 reviews)

• "Work life balance is important to my success and I have that working here" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "New hires are given old leads to call and it is literally up to the luck of timing as to whether or not you will get a join" (in 17 reviews)

• "During training (which lasts from day 1 till you make your first sale in typically weeks 2-4) you are ONLY paid the state minimum wage" (in 9 reviews)

"Love it!"

Current Employee - International Dating Specialist in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - International Dating Specialist in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love what I do, constantly impressed by the professionalism of who I have the pleasure to work for and report to. The ongoing training is the best of any sales position I have ever had . I love the culture, and knowing that I am appreciated for my contributions is HUGE! I can say that we all thrive in the genuine team spirit that our leader has cultivated in the office I work in. Who wouldn't enjoy feeling the geniune team spririt of knowing that the others are happy for me when I do well and they actually laugh at my attempt at humor using goofy cartoons and different movie shots to celebrate their successes? How great is that?

Cons

I would love to see the technology improve. From the telephone connections all the way down to the software we use .

Advice to Management

Thank you for having me. I have never enjoyed a job more than what I do at IJL. Its challenging, can be stressful but its more fun than anything else I could imagine. Can you imagine this? At my lunch hour i go through the database to check up on some of the folks that i invited to the service to start dating. I get so excited when i see that they put themselves on hold for that potential special someone.

"Professional Matchmaking Service"

Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's Just Lunch has such a professional environment and they have a rigorous training process that really prepares you to be a successful in Matchmaking! I've worked in the Dating Industry prior and IJL, not only has a great compensation structure, but the on-going support and coaching you receive is a huge benefit, as well!

Cons

The only downside for me in particular, is that hubs have limited positions for you to advance to. So, if you want to move up, in some cases, you have to relocate. I plan on growing within the company when the time is right, but I would need to be prepared to relocate- which I'd be open to! I just wished their were more opportunities locally for growth. Other than that, I love everything about IJL!

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the good candidates within the company, so the tenure can continue to increase!

"I Love my job, I love being apart of something so Great and Unique!"

Current Employee - Matchmaker in Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Matchmaker in Miramar, FL

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love my Management team: If I have any concerns I know I can go to the right person and get the right answer, and get help.
    Culture: Everyone is friendly, easy-going, welcoming, and friendly.
    Room for growth: If you do the job right, you will be acknowledged for it, and there is lots of room to grow and make money!
    Good work flow: I love that I have a full work load and I am helping my clients find their special someone!

Cons

Clients aren't always as happy as you would think- its a very emotional process.

Advice to Management

Allow overtime for the workload. Also a better structure, there is not many people in the world who can multi task and be able to do all the things that are being asked of Coordinators and Matchmakers all at the same time, its very tedious work that people need to dot their i's and cross their t's and realistically most people are not capable of doing this, leaving people to quit. Maybe, focusing on people strengths and building a new structure for the Process from start to beginning could make things run smoother for both Clients and Employees.

"Great Company To Work For!"

Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training, professional staff, team environment! Everyone is helping you reach your goals and is very supportive!I've been in sales/marketing all my life. The training here is impeccable and the staff supports you all the way; even on the corporate level!

Cons

It's a great job! I have no complaints :)

Advice to Management

The incentives/ bonuses have really given a lot of drive to the DS's! Thanks a lot! :)

"This is a scam."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Desert, CA

Pros

None. This is a scam.and there's nothing good about that.

Cons

They seem to have had bad reviews cleared. Please check other sources and also read customer reviews on Yelp. Almost nobody lasts longer than a month. This company has been sued numerous times for various types fraud. It's around they're still around, but it won't be for long. As was mentioned they give you one leads to dial for a dating service that costs thousands in an age when dating services are free or inexpensive.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting people's time and energy. People have their own lives. They want real jobs. Nobody wants to participate in your scam.

6. "NY"

Former Employee - Dating Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Dating Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only the location of the office. In the heart of Wall St

Cons

1.) Manager in NY seems very sweet, but pretty useless as a manager. She’s so busy trying to join clients of her own she doesn’t have much time for mentoring/coaching her own team members. In the NYC office, but communicated mainly through Skype as if she were remote. Waiting for responses in Skype also required patience as it’d take at least 20mins to be replied to
    2.) Advertisement boasts of office environment. In reality, it’s 3 separate rooms spread out on a floor with many rooms— 1st room is manager’s, 2nd room reserved for a colleague that’s so loud she gets her own room/office, 3rd room all remaining employees share.
    3.) Pay before your first join is pretty much minimum wage, but they do alert you if that...if only you had the support of your onsite manager to help you get that first join sooner

Advice to Management

Don’t overwhelm managers so much they don’t have time to manage & assist their team, especially newbies that are trying to get the hang of things.

"Executive Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miramar, FL

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's Just Lunch is not only a great place to work but we are doing great work for our Clients!! It's Just Lunch is a fun atmosphere that offers incentives, fun activities, and bonuses all for coming in every day and doing your job. Who doesn't love that? The company culture is one of integrity and excellence and being and the same is expected from the employees. Management and Support staff are available to help any employee that wants to succeed and works hard do so! In Short, I LOVE IJL and you will too!

Cons

The industry is emotionally driven, so you have to know how to handle emotions, stress and not take things personally.

"ludicrously outdated"

Current Employee - Dating Specialist
    Current Employee - Dating Specialist

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

compensation is fair, some of the management is truly amazing

Cons

the technology that this company insists on using is the bane of my existence. their proprietary CRM is a complete mess, laggy, reloads your screen and loses your information you inputted, logs you out randomly. there's so so so so so many times a day when I spend time doing something that I know could be automated with the proper technology.
    things fall through the cracks so often here too, your customer service team is the absolute worst. I have to take time out of my day, multiple times, to handle customer service complaints off the info line because no one will get back to them from customer service.

Advice to Management

MODERNIZE. ENTER THIS CENTURY. this place is a revolving door of employees. we say we're growing and expanding, but why? the employees you already have are not working to their full potential because you give them windows 2003. literally. invest in your employees and they will be able to produce SO much more for you! bring in some outside tech consultants, see where we can streamline our processes and stop wasting so much time. work SMARTER not harder. and your employees work their butts off for you.

"High energy work environment"

Current Employee - Dating Speciaist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Dating Speciaist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

competitive, high energy, positive, intelligent management, schedule, office culture, benefits, employee recognition

Cons

bonus structure is hard to obtain consistently

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work!

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet some interesting and successful people via IJL's clients.

Cons

Poor pay, the sales pitch isn't at all what is going on behind the scenes. It can feel so hopeful at first to help people find a match for themselves, and these people shell out a lot of money to do so, but ultimately, you're at the mercy of the franchise owner, or whomever is handling the matches who may or may not actually listen to what the client wants.