It's Just Lunch Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
It's Just Lunch President Melissa Brown
Melissa Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Its a positive work environment with amazing co workers (in 18 reviews)

• Work life balance is important to my success and I have that working here (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They hire ppl to dial old old old leads (in 15 reviews)

• You make minimum wage & commission (in 8 reviews)

1. "Excited to get started"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No evenings, No weekends and No Travel. The commission structure is amazing a real opportunity to make six figures. The understanding of the type of career your entering and not a job is imporrtant to success. Understand when a type of sales is not for you which is why the training $$$ is so low. That is smart not to invest all your resources not knowing if they are going to work out! Its the best incentive to push yourself

Cons

As a person just starting with the company I have no cons. The only thing I couldnt decipher was if an office was corporate or franchise. The other part was seeing all the different job titles was a bit confusing.

2. "IJL"

Current Employee - Dating Director in Hallandale Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Dating Director in Hallandale Beach, FL

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, plenty of incentives and bonus opportunities, you reap what you sow

Cons

can be mentally/emotionally stressful, it is a dating service after all

Advice to Management

the workload is a bit much and very stressful; overall it's a rewarding job for those who can handle it

Feb 1, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for sharing your valuable comments about your experience. We appreciate your dedication to IJL clients.

3. "The Best Place to work in Cleveland!"

Current Employee - Client Advisor in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Client Advisor in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work for It's Just Lunch in the Cleveland office. I have been here for going on 4 years! I work with the most amazing group of women! It's such a fun place to work! The company really cares about their employees. Everyone here is very supportive! It's really the place to work to make a lot of money and have fun doing it! I love coming into work everyday knowing that I am going to make a positive impact in our clients lives! If you are looking for a great place to work, I highly recommend joining us here in the Cleveland office!

Cons

I have no cons to report

Feb 1, 2018 – CEO

You are right! IJL is a fun place to work and the Cleveland office is a GREAT office! We strive to support our employees and want our team to be happy and earning a good living while having fun... More

4. "Dating Specialist"

Current Employee - Dating Specialist
    Current Employee - Dating Specialist

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's Just Lunch really appreciates their employees and offers an excellent work environment. Great people at all levels of the company- joining IJL is like joining a family and everyone is very supportive. Management is committed to helping each employee do their absolute best.

Cons

No cons to report

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for showing how much you value your employees and clients.

Jan 31, 2018 – CEO

We are so happy to know that you feel like you have joined a “family!” We love knowing how passionately our employees feel about the company and their roles. Thank you for posting a review.

"You have to be awesome at sales right off the bat."

Former Employee - Dating Specialist
    Former Employee - Dating Specialist

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great income if you can stay consistent with a lot of sales! Little supervision if your a top performer!

Cons

Customer Support Department needs a lot of improvement. Clients are upset and the company seems to ignore them. Do the right things for the clients!

Advice to Management

Clean up the customer support / Dating director department Do the right thing for your clients. Distribute leads evenly/fairly and not just to favorites. Fix your commission structure to how it used to be when people could actually make a living there.

Jan 31, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your review as we always welcome feedback. All of our employees are treated equally. We utilize several processes and systems to make certain our employees are treated fairly and that... More

"Read the reviews & take them seriously"

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time

Pros

-You're not micromanaged
    -Offices are nice
    - Make your own schedule around the 9-6 office hours
    - Paid holidays
    - Positive Environment
    -Nice co-workers

Cons

Ok, so I have been doing sales for years. I've been around the block a few times and I know a good company from a bad one. I've been here for two weeks and something about IJL is really fishy.
    1) During training (which lasts from day 1 till you make your first sale in typically weeks 2-4) you are ONLY paid the state minimum wage. Yes, that $40k on your contract doesn't kick in until after you've made your first sale. Are you a rock star sales person and think you'll get it on day 1? Well, our current (Nationwide) training class has 20+ people and thus far, two weeks in, only three people have made a single sale. And 6 people have quit already and there is another training class in two weeks... So yeah, it's a revolving door.
    2) They are not up to date. There is no autodialer, you must manually punch in phone numbers to reach your call quota of 100 dials a day. The CRM is disorganized, messy, uncooperative and mistake prone. Oh, you have to manually keep your time via a time sheet and email is to corporate once a week, despite the fact that many time keeping softwares exist at no cost.
    3) They are violating federal laws and have pending litigation against them. The law states that when someone asks to be removed from the call list, you must immediately delete their information and cease any and all communication. Here at IJL, they instruct you to do the following: 'If someone requests a DNC or there is a lead in your system that says it requested DNC in the past, call them back and ask why. Try to open them up and get them into a pitch. If we DNC them we can never call them again.' ok.... So someone asks to be DNC and we call them back? Makes a lot of sense... I guess if they want to break the law dozens of times a day that's their choice.
    Regarding the litigation, all the information is available via a simple browser search.
    4) Your manager will have a sales quota... A personal sales quota... And gets to distribute leads at their leisure. Yes, your manager gets all the leads, gets to attempt to close the leads FIRST and then gets to hand over the scraps... Who you will then have in your system for up to 10 years. And yes, these people will get called daily for ten years, even if they are not interested, in a serious relationship or married. That's right, at IJL we believe that people break up and/or get divorced everyday... So let's keep calling!
    5) You will take ANY AND EVERY client who can pay the membership fees... Regardless of the companies ability to find them a match. Yes, if the person can put $4500 on a credit card (that's only for 7 dates btw) you will accept them, even if a match for them does not exist.
    6) Astronomical membership fees $4500 for 7 dates, $2800 for 4 dates and if the person resides in NY State, $850 for a single date.
    6) The company is so mass marketed that you will literally call/pitch people who think the service costs $29.99/mo. (Like most sites).
    7) The presentation takes 45-60 minutes. So yeah, you make 100 calls a day and have to waste an hour of your time Everytime the person your presenting to can't afford $4500 because they aren't a high rolling professional and would never waste almost $5k for 7 dates LOL
    8) THE YELP REVIEWS! Read them, believe them... It's real. We set up our voicemails today and got to listen to all the voicemails that we're left for the previous dating specialists. DOZENS of voicemails from people who paid their hard earned money and haven't received anything in return! People calling for weeks and furious that they can't get ahold of anyone and have not yet been set up on a date. It's like the company gets their money and ghosts them. I know this first hand because I received a call the other day from an irate client who never received services - at all. My managers response was to sell her another membership.
    9) You will dial the phone all day, get voicemails every time and then have the manager come in and tell you to get a sale today. Umm...yes let me get the answering machine's credit card.
    10) Was the phone number blocked by the lead? Just block your number and call them? God... These people are annoying.
    11) You have to sell $20k in services every two weeks to get any commission. Yeah, that's like 5 $4500 memberships.... Totally doable!
    12) Managers and trainers are SUPER PEPPY AND POSITIVE... which is great at first but super annoying if you're struggling.
    Well, that's all I got for now (I think). Everyone in my office is already looking for other jobs. This place looks super pretty and positive and perfect during training but the minute you pick up that phone you'll know you made a mistake.

Advice to Management

Get ethical, market to your TARGET audiences, stop being slimy.

Jan 31, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for the detailed review. You clearly have not been with us very long, which may explain the numerous inaccuracies regarding our hiring, training, compensation and technology. While we... More

"Lies, favoritism, low pay hallandale office"

Pros

None, they lie to trick you to think there are bonuses that are there. You have to lie to customers to earn them

Cons

This company is a joke and constantly has a high turnover rate because people quit once they realize what the company is all about. They promote from within and there's favoritism. The workload is not worth the pay and the customers are lied to on a daily basis. Management plays favorites and is rude constantly making jokes about customers and they don't care about you as a person. I had to leave and wish I left sooner and didn't waste so long there.

"The management in this company is uncaring of you as an individual and only cares about getting joins"

Former Employee - Dating Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Dating Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no benefits to working at Its Just Lunch it was one of the most unprofessional work environments I've ever experienced.

Cons

This company encourages you to manipulate people's emotional triggers in order to get them to spend thousands of dollars on a minimal membership even if there's just a bare minimum of people in their area to date. Do Not Call guidelines are encouraged to be ignored by management who insist that because they contacted them for information they do not have to adhere to the Do Not Call policy. They advise new agents in training to ignore the notes on previous calls where customers would have requested to be removed from the calling list. New hires are given old leads to call and it is literally up to the luck of timing as to whether or not you will get a join. Management would offer discouraging statements and were very unsupportive only saying things like "wow that is bad" and "maybe this isn't the job for you" instead of providing coaching opportunities. The management there takes advantage of the at will employment and will fire some agents for not getting any joins while other agents who were still hired at the same time are allowed to keep employment even though they too have not gotten any joins. Its all based on favoritism and due to the remote nature in how HR and all the managers are in different buildings in different towns, a lot of this behavior just goes unnoticed. Management are also sales reps so their sole focus was getting joins for themselves and not empowering and assisting their team and encouraging and supporting individual growth within the current position and company. I would highly recommend you avoid this company at all costs. Check out the Yelp reviews from previous customers to give you an example of this companies ethics and business practice.

Advice to Management

Ensure your management are not telling agents in a training environment to ignore the call notes as this can lead to legal issues for the company as management sometimes is knowingly in direct violation of the Do not call policies and laws. Coach your managers on how to be more supportive of new agents and teach them how to be leaders and it's possible your turnover rate won't be so high.

"Dating Specialist"

Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Dating Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at It's Just Lunch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic company focusing on helping single professionals seeking real relationships go out on great first dates! The team support with this international company is phenomenal. As a part of a team that makes a difference in our clients personalized dating experience makes this a great company to work for. At of the end of the day you want to come to work everyday...priceless.

Cons

Continually changing environment...I see as a positive as I am always learning and growing...others can see this as a con.

Oct 18, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are always looking for ways to grow and provide a fun working environment for our employees. We have a team atmosphere that provides multiple... More

"Dating Specialists"

Former Employee - Dating Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Dating Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at It's Just Lunch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and good training

Cons

Treated like you are a number, HIGH turnover, unrealistic goals, got yelled at if your co-workers helped you. You have to do it all yourself.

Advice to Management

Quit treating people like they are replaceable. Invest in your employees. Make them feel valuable.