Itron Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Itron President & CEO Philip Mezey
Philip Mezey

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance sometimes can be affected (in 7 reviews)

• No training - use it up and throw it away mentality (in 5 reviews)

"It has been a very challenging, very positive experience."

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Oakland, CA

Pros

The tasks are intellectually stimulating. Management assigns projects and deadlines, and it is up to the individual to complete the task. There is very little oversight, unless poor performance dictates it.

Cons

Itron could do a better job of trainging. May of the jobs are sink or swim. If you learn fast then you will be fine at the company.

Advice to Management

Currenrlt management is performing an outstanding job. There is plenty of work, and hopefully this trend will contine into the future.

2. "Overall Positive Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Union, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Union, SC

Pros

The people here are very approachable, helpful, and competent. There is a lot of room for advancement, both upwards and sideways into other fields. The compensation and benefits package is on par with most other companies, and there are plenty of little perks to make it even better. There is plenty of work to be done, and a good mix of challenging problems to solve.

Cons

The investment community doesn't seem to understand the costs of making a good product. Itron doesn't outsource our R&D and production, which results in a fantastic product that happens to cost a bit more. Investors see this traditionally good way of doing business as a negative thing, which hurts the stock prices. They love us when things are good, but hate us when the least thing goes wrong. Decreasing stock prices result in losing good people and business, as well as stock option benefits. It's a great place to work, but it's sad to see such positive efforts going unnoticed by the rest of the world!

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working hard to find new revenue streams. New focus on developing employees. Company is trying to change its culture for better work/life balance.

Cons

Liberty Lake office is corporate HQ. That is a difficult office to get to from everywhere in the country. A centralized office would be better for meeting space.

5. "Growing company, opportunities for advancement—excellent place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance
    Multinational company
    Solid technology recognized as industry-leading

Cons

Many departments are fast-paced. This is not the place for you if you are interested in doing the exact same thing everyday.

"Great product. Unique culture. Still Made n USA"

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

My experience at Itron was positive. There is no perfect company of course so anyone who doesn't find good in a company is looking for the perfect company. Itron has great technology, they have worked hard to keep things "Made in the USA" when most other smart grid companies have shipped things to China or Mexico where it's been proven the quality and reliability of smart metering is significantly less. If you have a Itron meter it's quality. Like most companies they were hit with downturn in sales due to many factors beyond their control. Overall when things were rolling and sales up, my time there was great. Management tries to give people opportunity and some work life balance.

Cons

Because it's a mid sized company and sales are not predictable things do feel unstable when sales are down. Also cross training and development of other experience an you are hired for isn't easy to get. I think there is a lot of talent there that should be developed more.

Advice to Management

Invest in a robust University recruiting program to help fill the difficult to find engineering talent that is needed. If you do that then also support the managers with resources to train the new grads. This will pay of 10 fold as there is a lack of available talent for the complex technical needs Itron has. After doing this change your compensation system to allow out of cycle raises to these engineers. You don't want to invest in new grads, train them on your dime only then to lose them to other companies when they offer them a 20-30% increase 3 yrs later. Technical talent goes up in value rapidly so small 1-5% raises won't work. You will lose this talent quickly if you don't keep their salaries inline with the market. Final suggestion is to formally cross train other employees so they stay challenged and gain more experience. In doing this you will profit from employees who have a broader scope of expertise and in turn that employee will want to stay with e company.

"Good Smart ppl love this job"

Current Employee - Intern IV in Waseca, MN
    Current Employee - Intern IV in Waseca, MN

I have been working at Itron full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good people, heavy community involvement, smart people, give scholarships and believes highly in education

Cons

honestly if i was gonna say anything they could use more eye candy walking around

"Great changes taking place"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There has been a lot of change in management lately, but I think it's very much for the better. A lot of people were in roles that they were grandfathered into due to tenture, but had no business or aptitude for that kind of role. The new management is looking at things with a clean pair of eyes, and initiating good changes. I'm very excited about the future.

Cons

Corporate communication regarding changes and direction is kind of slow coming. Also, there are so many layers of management, it's hard to navigate sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep the changes exciting and fresh. Everyone working here has been craving changes and inspiration for a long time.

"Great Changes Already"

Current Employee - Manager in Waseca, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Waseca, MN

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been part of Itron for numerous years, and there were some years in there where things were a little sketchy. I can see that sr management has seen those issues and has chosen to address them head on with multiple management changes for the better. There is already new programs and processes that are better designed for employee training and engagement. I've also read other reviews here regarding prejudices and slurs regarding other races and minorities. My role touches many business segments across multiple geographies and I can say with 100% certainty that I have never encountered any of what the few disgruntled employees have stated. I have no idea where that is coming from, but is completely false, and if it is true, those employees should have talked to their local HR rep who would nip it in the bud.

Cons

I do believe there needs to be better communication of company direction in the future, but that has already improved as well.

Advice to Management

please share what the future looks like and help us to be positive and spread the positivism throughout the company. The future looks so bright!

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Itron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been there for more than 5 years. The people there are great to work with and very helpful. I've enjoyed pay increases and bonuses on an annual basis. The benefits are excellent. I love to travel and my job allows that 40-45 weeks a year.

Cons

Technology is cutting edge and you have to be a self-motivator to keep up. Opportunities are available, but you have to apply for them. Work pace can be brutal at times.

Advice to Management

Don't get stuck in the rut, consider other ways of doing things.

11. "Exciting company with a lot of opportunity"

Pros

Itron is an exciting company to be a part of. The utility industry is changing and evolving with more advanced technologies, which makes the work we do more interesting and exciting. There are many opportunities for growth within the company and the corporate culture is generally very positive. I like coming to work each day.

Cons

The company has struggled a bit in the past couple of years, which has led to some reorganization. However, the company outlook is very positive.