Ittti Japan Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Native Teacher
    Former Employee - Native Teacher

I worked at Ittti Japan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

nice hours I usually only had 3 classes a day to teach.
    The company has a good support system in place to help you get a bank account, apartment and phone.
    good pay for the amount of hours worked

Cons

some children can be a handful at times.
    experience can very by area some area's are very busy and can have heavy class loads
    Japaneses staff is over worked

"A fun but tiring experience"

I worked at Ittti Japan full-time

Pros

- The pay is great for the hours worked
    - If you like working evening hours you can have lots of free time to explore Japan
    -The curriculum has it's kinks, but it's usually fun and workable for the age group.
    -Training is more thorough than other Eikaiwa

Cons

-Kids can be badly behaved
    -In spite of the emphasis on "safety," having a single teacher in charge of a batch of small kids is not a safe arrangement
    -Japanese coworkers are often overworked

Advice to Management

Take better care of the Japanese staff, and more readily provide backup teachers for young or difficult classes.

"Peppy Kids Club"

Former Employee - Native Teacher in Misawa, Aomori (Japan)
    Former Employee - Native Teacher in Misawa, Aomori (Japan)

I worked at Ittti Japan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work hours. Depending on your location, daily work hours are usually 5hrs a day average, not including 15 minutes prep time in between classes and commute.
    - Excellent native support which is available 24/7 although sometimes difficult to contact, most of the head office staff are friendly and always willing to help you out.
    - Salary. You pretty much are paid full time while having part-time hours. This leaves a lot of time for you to explore Japan. Downside is, if you're assigned in the countryside, it can get boring having this much time and not a lot of things to do.
    - You get to see your students an hour or 2 hrs max every month, so if you have a student that you cannot stand, you only have to deal with them for an hour or 2 a month.
    - Because Ittti is a corporation, everything is black and white and documented, you do not have to worry about anything because they also assist you with everything you need.
    - Benefits. You get yearly bonuses and at least 40% of your health insurance back at the end of the year.
    - Has branches all over Japan. After a year of being with the company, you can ask to be reassigned anywhere provided there's a slot. Everything will be provided for and the assistance they offer with the transfer is superb.
    - Monthly staff meeting to help you and guide you with your lessons or difficult classes.
    - Hotel classes for coverage if it is not your regular school, and an additional pay every night. hotel is paid for with free breakfast sometimes.

Cons

- Because this is an after school program, most students see it as a social gathering instead of learning.
    - The students are treated as customers so you don't have that much teacher power. Students must leave happy regardless if they were nice in class or not because at the end of the day, it's still business.
    - If you are assigned in the countryside, you get Japanese teachers who speak bare minimum english.
    - Transportation can be lengthy especially if you are assigned in a place where the train comes once in an hour only, or the only bus that gets you to classes on time is the one that arrives 4 hours before your class.
    - Because of the high demand of teachers, some teachers are hired just because they are native speakers or even if they do not have a proper teaching background. This goes to both native teachers and japanese teachers.

Advice to Management

Provide teacher's enough authority in class for the students to respect them and be able to teach properly.
    Hire Japanese teachers who speak proper english for the students' benefit.

4. "Decent entry level for English Teacher in Japan, but not for the long run"

Current Employee - High School English Teacher
    Current Employee - High School English Teacher

I have been working at Ittti Japan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent co-workers
    They pay on time

Cons

Kids are extremely misbehaved/no respect for the teacher
    Chaotic schedule management

Advice to Management

Schedule Management needs more work.

5. "Easy to get in. Lots of motivation to continue working"

Pros

The interview was so easy. They'll hire anyone

They take care of your visa when hired outside Japan
    The teaching hours are pretty short. 3-4 hours
    My area was amazing. My PS, JT's, and Native Teachers were awesome
    Salary wasn't that bad. I did some traveling and managed to save some money. But I know other eikaiwas pay better.
    The training was very thorough. I liked the layout from the orientation to the workshops. It's intense but definitely a fun experience

Cons

It really depends on the area your placed in. I was placed
    in an area near Tokyo so I had a good city life in Japan.
    You teach 3-5 year olds and it's very difficult to discipline them when you don't speak Japanese. I recommend learning some Japanese to know what they're saying. This is why they can be very badly behaved when they have NT lessons
    You have to pay for training costs that over ¥100000. I do not agree with this and I feel they do this so you don't quit. However, I still think it's unfair and stupid as most companies back in Westernized countries will pay for your training accommodations
    They really seem to hate technology. Fax machines and paper work is very common with this company. I feel the head office is just lazy and stuck to their habits (this is Japan)
    You get home really late at around 11 pm or 12 am.
    Some placements can be very rural. So if you like city life then I recommend not working for PKC. You could be the only foreigner in your area.

But #1 thing I absolutely hated about PKC was that the schools were SO far away from the train stations! I would walk 30 minutes in 40 degrees weather. So like the teaching wasn't tiring, it was just getting to the school that made it more tiring! It's a good work out but if you're not good at directions or can't stand hot and humid weather, I would consider an eikaiwa that is closer to your apartment because PKC is not it.

Advice: you have to be a very outgoing and people person for this job. If you just want to come to Japan I would consider another eikaiwa or do an ALT instead.
    Also, I recommend getting a pocket wifi for training as you will have to be communting in the Aichi or Kansai area.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a JT for the 3-5 year old lessons. It's difficult for NTs to communicate solely on gestures with the misbehaved kids
    Learn how to adapt to technology communications
    Stop being cheap and actually provide free accommodations for training. This company has lots
    Of money, they're just greedy.

"Native English Teacher"

Former Employee - Native English Teacher in Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)
    Former Employee - Native English Teacher in Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)

I worked at Ittti Japan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to live in Japan!

My Performance Supervisor was absolutely phenomenal. Seriously, amazing.

For the most part, my coworkers were great!

Company housing is available if you wish. This also means that you don't have a choice in which city in Japan they place you in, and it could be really remote.

Cons

You are considered part time, but the fewest hours I ever worked in one week was probably 40. Including my commuting time (you are required to take the train), I was working/commuting for 65-75 hours per week. I was paid for working 19-23 of those hours. Several of my coworkers were working 25-30 hours per week (but still only getting paid for 12-15 of those hours). It is very different than described by your recruiter.

It feels unsafe at times because you are not allowed to speak Japanese to the Japanese students, and they don't teach you Japanese to understand the students, so when the little tiny kids (2-3 years old) are upset, it's hard to keep them safe and cared for when you can't communicate with them, and keep the rest of the students safe.

Advice to Management

Packet classes absolutely should have a JT In the room at all times.
    Be honest about how many hours your employees work- it's not just the hours of the lessons.
    Stop being sketchy about our hours for tax reasons and so you don't have to pay our health insurance. We're full time employees.

7. "Above average as an English teaching positon"

Current Employee - Native English Teacher in Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)
    Current Employee - Native English Teacher in Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)

Pros

-competitive pay compared to the number of hours worked
    -all the lesson materials and plans are in the classrooms so you don't have to create your own lessons
    -intensive and comprehensive training

Cons

-long commutes since the schools are in more residentional areas and you have 2 to 3 regular classrooms in different areas
    -work is generally in the evenings which means you risk missing the last trains at times
    -fax machines are still used as the primary means of communication

Advice to Management

-Give more intensives for teachers to stay longer and find ways to utilize better technology for communicaiton
    -Have a stricter policy when it comes to bullying and serious student behavior

8. "Peppy Kids"

Pros

You get to meet a variety of different kids and they are mostly happy to see you!

Cons

There is a true lack of communication between native teachers and Japanese teachers.

"Alone in Japan"

I worked at Ittti Japan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Students were great. That is the only reason that made me stay as long as I did.

Cons

Official working hours are short depending on your luck. If you have terrible luck, you might get 6 classes a day all week in a place that is 2 hours train ride from your apartment.
    The official hours does not really reflect the actual working hours. On days when you have your staff meeting, you will need to get up at 7 in the morning travel someplace far, do the 2 hours meeting and then travel back to your classroom for your lessons that day. You will get home probably around 11 or 12.
    The energy you need to carry out the lessons as a native teacher is probably around 200% because the children usually are not well behaved and the lesson plans require plenty of 'fun' and 'enthusiasm'.

JT do not receive good training and some of them can't even speak English properly.
    Management hire JT based on their interest in teaching and not on qualifications.

You are basically alone everyday in the classroom. You can expect to have absolutely no interaction with any other English speaking adult for weeks until your staff meeting where you will meet other Native teachers. If your mental health can handle that, then by all means.

I don't know about other locations but the place I was sent to was really rural. The Native teachers usually leave within 1-2 years or stay for 5-10 years. The people that stayed for many years regard themselves as superior to new teachers. The entire morale of the team was incredibly negative. Every time I was with the other teachers, it was basically to complain and whine about our situation. All in all it's a pit of black hole spiraling into and endless abyss.

There's definitely more cons but if all the above didn't worry you, then go ahead and try it for yourself.

10. "Native Teacher"

I have been working at Ittti Japan full-time

Pros

-Short hours compared to other eikaiwa's
    -though intense, the two week training does prep you to teach

Cons

-upper management are out of touch with teachers on the front line.
    -pay is rather uncompetitive compared to elsewhere.
    -it takes a lot for a bad student to get booted from classrooms.
    - you don't get much say in where you're placed

Advice to Management

take your actual teachers seriously when we provide feedback or don't bother asking.