Ivanti Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Daly
1 Rating

Pros
  • AppSense believes in the work/life balance and is a great company all in all (in 13 reviews)

• great people that feel like family (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • As far i see is a little room for growth opportunity, Lack of communication, some of the team all they do is eat and play game (in 4 reviews)

• Not a lot of integrity in upper management (in 5 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Ivanti full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative Environment where companies are encourage to work closely on projects. Employees are encouraged and supported in self improvement efforts especially education efforts. Teams are self organized and directed with limited management. The company culture and atmosphere encourages working between teams and bonding within the company.

Cons

The age of the company and the recent trend of acquisitions means a large portion of the code base is legacy code. On occasion management is less than forthcoming about quarterly objectives. Communication can be slow sometimes due to offices on opposite ends of the globe.

Advice to Management

Be more open about short term strategy so employees can better prepare for quarterly transitions.

"Environment is Changing in a negative direction"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Ivanti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have good benefits. At first this was the best place I had ever worked. Everybody was working together to put out the best product possible. There was a big attempt to keep the employees happy.

Cons

There aren't many women working here. I have noticed they do not treat their women well. There is a bit of sexism going on. As the company has purchased other companies and has grown they have acquired some poor management that they are keeping. The new management does not value their employees like the old management did. They do not treat them well and behave as if they are expendable. If you are unlucky enough to be put under one of these new managers you will find that while you might have been considered one of the better engineers and were getting above average raises you will, overnight, be treated poorly and will get no raise at all.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to pay attention to middle management. It is very odd for good employees to suddenly become poor employees overnight. This is a management problem not an employee problem. Also, make sure that the sexism stops.

3. "Great place"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Ivanti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Management. great co-workers. emphasis on work-life balance. Company goes out of its way to make sure it's employees are happy.

Cons

Overall vision for teams can tend to be foggy, lots of change recently.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"LANDESK rewards hard work"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Ivanti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

LANDESK is probably the best company I have worked during my career. I have been shopping for other other opportunities to see what the market offers, but nothing comes close. Of course no company is perfect. Sometimes I have my own ideas how teams should collaborate or why we add/remove a certain feature, but the company has integrity. If there is a concern about functionality/security for a specific release LANDESK will not ship the product, even when it means it will take another 6 month to work out the bugs. Here are some points why I like working there
    -managers are down to earth
    -employees stay a long time with the company. Some work there +20 years. Older 50+ employees are respected
    -pay is competitive
    -work hard & play hard
    -PTO is generous
    -lots of social activities
    -HR and CEO is very focused on serving others through STEM or other social projects

Cons

The only cons that I can think of is that LANDESK will change the company name soon. Renaming is risky and the LANDESK name has a good reputation. Familiarity is essential for B2B relationships. I don't claim to know the truth of all, but this is my biggest concern.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on collaboration, have clear communication channels, align the international teams to "one purpose". Simplicity is is king!

5. "Worst company ever"

Former Employee - Software Staff Engineer in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Software Staff Engineer in Sandy, UT

I worked at Ivanti (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are none. There are none, there are none

Cons

I was laid off two days after being employed by Landesk, on a friday afternoon at 4PM. On monday morning, they said they made a mistake. I worked my butt off for them, tons of non paid over time, weekends. No thanks from them. They made millions from my software. Two years later, they send my job to china and lay me off.

Advice to Management

take care of your people or you will have no people

"10K Culture!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Ivanti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture
    great people that feel like family
    great technology
    great for families
    lunch and learn
    "play hard, work hard mentality"

Cons

Steady growth and not as many leadership opportunities
    Title change does not really change salary just workload

Advice to Management

Fix title change pay upgrade

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Ivanti full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are talented and smart individuals. They work hard to get work done. The tech stack can be a lot of fun. They have the potential to do a lot of amazing things. Great benefits package! Ability to work from home when needed is a plus.

Cons

Management doesn't listen to their people. They can't make up their mind what they actually want to do. When they do make up their mind, no formal strategy i created about how to proceed. Older products often get left to the wayside and never updated.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Plan things better and don't let your older technologies die without putting up a fight.

"Good culture lacking investment in new blood."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New Brighton, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New Brighton, MN

I have been working at Ivanti (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is wonderful and the team members are top notch. Most on the teams will happily help you overcome any challenge. Top-notch product.

Cons

Growth is stagnant and development teams are starved of resources. Every team could use another 4 resources but we barely see replacement reqs. for those who have left.

Advice to Management

Give your acquisitions the resources they need to keep up with feature requests.

9. "Great people"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Ivanti full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MS Windows technology stack fluency goes back decades

Cons

Forays into newer technology stacks offer great opportunity but associated risk as well

Advice to Management

Go 'evergreen' with all software products/services (e.g. management agents). Evergreen in the sense of a self-updating web browser.

Keep diversifying across device/end-point types (from laptops to tablets and phones and on to automobiles, home security, television, smart ovens, etc.)

"Was not a good place to work for me"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Ivanti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good programs for employees, good work-life balance (most times), interesting projects

Cons

Not competitive on salary. Prefer to hire off-shore when possible. Some of upper management has poor leadership skills.

Advice to Management

Focus on building teams on-site instead of in China. Directing management over engineers need to learn to work with employees so that they will improve instead of letting them go and hiring in China. Value your employees. The market is competitive for software developers. If you don't treat them well they will go elsewhere and you'll get a bad rep.