Ivie Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.8
Warren C. Ivie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people who work together to help each other and fanatically serve clients (in 11 reviews)

• They do their best to ensure a work life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Balancing growth is always challenging with work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Very low pay for most people unless you are the owners good friend (in 9 reviews)

1. "Good Company, OK Pay"

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at Ivie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good values, great culture, great management

Cons

Mediocre pay, no room for advancement on client teams

2. "Great company to start with"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Flower Mound, TX
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Flower Mound, TX

I have been working at Ivie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ivie has an awesome company culture, work life balance and plenty of free food.

Cons

Lower pay and no real career advancement opportunities.

3. "It's a hard balance"

I have been working at Ivie full-time

Pros

Push you to do the best and be above and beyond the competition.
    Great family values and culture.

Cons

Very little work life balance.

"Things to know; Worked in multiple locations."

Current Employee - Director in Flower Mound, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Flower Mound, TX

I have been working at Ivie full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Incredibly efficient and productive.
    Have identified how to make a profit in areas most agencies avoid. (Think high volume low margin.)
    Tremendous growth for an organization.
    You will gain more experience in one here than you will in two years at another agency.
    Project turn-a-round time is incredible and we efficiently accomplish more than any other agencies I have worked for with fewer staff.
    Operationally, we are a very well engineered and oiled machine.

Cons

We don't reward our all-stars.
    Bonus structures don't reward performers.
    We haven't created a culture of mentorship.
    If feels like we expect our employees to be available 24/7.
    The easiest way to get a promotion it to move locations - that unfortunately punishes employees who are specialist working across all clients at HQ.
    While we accomplish things that most agencies can't, we have created a workaholic culture. -I shouldn't have to get on to employees for taking conference calls with clients on their vacations, after a baby is born, etc. - it isn't just my team, I could seriously call any director or manager at 9pm, have them answer the phone and solve a client's problem before the next day.
    We do a ton of high level work but don't enter award shows or self promote. - I appreciate the humility but we are an agency! Seriously, when a client ask us to submit our work for them and we win, you have proof that we should do this more.

Advice to Management

I have had many employees leave after 2 year for $20k+ increase. I have been fortunate to have relationships with my subordinates that they feel safe to talk to me about their opportunities. I have to be honest with them and tell them to focus on the opportunity and if it is the right fit, go for it. ($20k increase - you have to go for it.)

We provide a tremendous amount of experience for eager employees but end up burning and churning them. After 7 years, one of my co-workes doubled her salary when she left. Doubled! That speaks to the experience gained here but it also speaks to how we value our experts and all stars. A year after that she was promoted at her new company and proved that she was a huge asset to us.

OT for employees under 47K shifted a huge workload to senior employees that were already working heavy hours. - Should have run an algorithm to identify hours billed by position, then identified typical billings and then adjusted rates and billings accordingly. That cost should be shifted to clients: 1. They deal with the same thing and 2 we are a better value than our competitors.

Don't be fearful of increasing rates that have been stagnant for the last 5 years.

We need to be more vocal in recognizing our all stars. - The worst thing I was told by an employee was that I was the only person who ever told them thank you or good job. Affirmation needs to come from our senior leaders and be a continual driver to culture. Our services departments like IT, Prepress, Accounting, Print Buyers, etc. all help me do my job well and we don't publicly tell them thank you enough. The argument that "it is their job" and they should be thankful for it says more about the people who think that way than anything. We need an executive push to thank the people who do their jobs well. If you are a VP or higher, take 5 mins once month and call 1 employee who has done a great job and tell them you appreciate them. That is 60 min over one year. You waste more time on conference calls waiting for clients to get on the line in a month than that.

That is the interesting thing about the reviews here. I can see that we burned a lot of people and I can tell who many are by what they said. I would suggest that we didn't say thank you enough.

We accomplish more in 3 months than most agencies do in a year. Lets be proud of it!

Our new acquisitions are interesting and help growth but we need to ensure we set the same expectations with them that we have for ourselves. We should also consider rotating leaders across business units. That would develop our leaders better and give a better perspective to our divisions.

5. "Director of Marketing"

I have been working at Ivie full-time

Pros

Great culture. Good people to work with.

Cons

It's an agency, so if the client leaves, you're out of a job.

"Culture seems good, until you see through the cracks"

I have been working at Ivie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some genuinely great people working here. You will make friends.
    Management is rather flexible and caring for the most part.
    Familial atmosphere

Cons

Relatives/friends are given precedence, even to the point of not firing them after multiple HR complaints.
    The culture has taken a dive downhill recently.
    Senior management lives in a world of their own, they aren't very accessible or in tune with their employees
    Pay is low, raises are few and far between
    Very little room for upper mobility
    Client facing employees are always given the benefit of the doubt, and are not punished for causing issues
    Staff is lean, and it's hard to convince management to hire more employees when you are swamped

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they tell you something is wrong. Stop preferring people related to execs.

7. "Media Buyer"

Current Employee - Media Buyer in Flower Mound, TX
    Current Employee - Media Buyer in Flower Mound, TX

I have been working at Ivie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friends at work but most will be leaving soon.

Cons

Constant change, low salaries, Directors do not care about anything other than their own positions.

Advice to Management

Bring in new business so the company can afford the staff.

Jun 26, 2017 – HR Recruiter

We strive to create the best working environment possible at Ivie. If you have any questions or further feedback, our HR department would be more than happy to speak with you!

8. "Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Ivie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the greatest companies I have ever worked for. They are a family oriented company that truly values their employees. They do their best to ensure a work life balance.

Cons

Currently none that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Continue to train and develop your employees.

Apr 4, 2017 – HR Recruiter

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your dedicated service to our organization!

"Graphic Design Intern"

Current Intern - Graphic Design Intern in Boise, ID
    Current Intern - Graphic Design Intern in Boise, ID

I have been working at Ivie as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

good people, large clients, good culture

Cons

Interns don't get paid that much for what they actually do. Occasionally long hours and sometimes unrealistic deadlines.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they're worth, especially interns.

Apr 4, 2017 – HR Recruiter

Thank you for your honest feedback and please know that we appreciate your efforts and dedication to the organization!

As an intern, you are getting valuable work experience so that when you... More

10. "Traffic Manager"

Current Employee - Traffic Manager in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Traffic Manager in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Ivie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They strive to hire good people who are looking out for each other. Functioning as a team is important.

Cons

It can be a challenge to have a solid development plan. It's hard to continue growing.

Apr 4, 2017 – HR Recruiter

Thanks for your honest feedback! We would like to help you with your development plan. Please reach out to a member of your HR department (we are ready and willing to help in whatever capacity we can... More