Ivy Tech Community College Reviews in Indianapolis, IN | Glassdoor

Indianapolis, IN

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas Snyder

Pros
  • Helping students go from zero experience to completing full graphic design projects is very rewarding (in 13 reviews)

• Enjoy working with students, great retirement, relaxed atmosphere, friendly colleagues (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The number of full time faculty is small compared to part time instructors (in 26 reviews)

• Low Pay and little room for advancement (in 20 reviews)

1. "Nice working environment with great staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice staff that are extremely helpful and always willing to answer questions or help on tasks.

Cons

Top heavy, not enough assistants to help in the demand of the Vice President positions being created. With the new President there are a lot of changes and demands that are a little unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Hire more assisting positions, promote from within.

2. "Math and Science Tutor"

Current Employee - Math Tutor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great colleges and supervisors. Good benefits and fee remission and reimbursements if you are planning on going to grad school.

Cons

Very busy and we are under staffed. Pay sucks.

3. "Adjunct Instructor"

Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Contractor - Adjunct Instructor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teaching at Ivy Tech is very rewarding in terms of having an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of non-traditional students. Depending on the department in which you teach, you may have substantial opportunities to customize the syllabus and make the class reflect your strengths as an instructor.

Cons

It's full time work for part time pay. The equivalent job at a local 4-year school pays almost 30% more for teaching the same classes.

Advice to Management

Hire more full-time faculty. Give adjuncts a living wage. Give instructors opportunities to publish about the results of their work rather than refusing to allow them to identify the school at which they teach in any articles they write.

5. "Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College part-time

Pros

Making a difference to the community. Teaching is very rewarding.

Cons

No stability. Your hours can change from semester to semester.

6. "Hospitality Dept"

Current Contractor - Online Instructor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Contractor - Online Instructor in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

I like the people I work with. We all have a common goal to help the students succeed. Staff, faculty and administration all work towards the same goal. There are some really fun events that we get to take part in.

Cons

Not enough funding for them to hire faculty full time. This ends up hurting the students because there is a lack of consistency. Most of the contracted adjunct faculty have to move to full time jobs since there are no benefits.

7. "Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits. You're not going to beat what little you're paying in health insurance. Truly excellent retirement package. Also, the percent increase each year (not guaranteed, but usually happens as long as you meet certain criteria) is fantastic.

Cons

Communication is lacking from department to department. Something will change and no one thinks to communicate that down through other departments. Need some better processes in place.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teaching resources are always available
    Excellent departmental Chairs
    Enabling environment for students' success

Cons

Reduce class size especially for elective classes like Sociology, Psychology by hiring more adjunct professors
    Increase hourly pay for the adjuncts

"Little respect, low pay for part-time employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice, dedicated people. Decent facilities, free parking, and many international students who are passionate about the opportunity. Convenient central location.

Cons

low pay, restricted hours so they don't have to pay for benefits, high turnover as a result. Ill trained people in HR, advising, etc. Students get poor guidance and waste time and money on wrong classes. Tragic.

10. "Adjunct English Instructor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people to work with, and has been a reliable part-time source for me.

Cons

It's part-time, with little to no hope of ever becoming a full-time instructor. Not much raise in pay over the years.

Advice to Management

Make note of your reliable employees and the instructors that work well with the students.

"Low Pay, Entry Level Student Affairs Work"

Current Employee - Student Affairs in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Student Affairs in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

My department supervisor was very accommodating about time off for family issues. I felt that my individual department was doing its best despite the constraints of this extremely large and poorly run bureaucracy.

Cons

Extremely low pay compared to other local colleges and universities. The for-profit schools pay better. Part timers are viewed as second-class citizens. Case in point: during employee orientation, only full-time employers get their photos taken and are officially welcomed on the intranet.

I found that many of the office staff were unprofessional. I heard swearing coming from the HR conference room on the main campus. I found the finance department to be especially difficult and inflexible. A mistake that was not my own cost me $$ in reimbursements. The way the finance dept. employee spoke to me helped clarify for me that I deserved better. Ivy Tech does not take care of its employees.

The physical spaces at Ivy Tech range from really beautiful to exceptionally gross. The bathroom vents are filled with dust bunnies just waiting to rain down on people. There are ants on the floors.

I think there are some quality professors, but they are not paid well, and you can tell the morale is horribly low.

If you work here, you WILL be asked at some point to travel to the community campuses. Some are close by, but others are far away, a sure sign that this region has become too large to manage. The students at these campuses have to travel to get meaningful help. A shame.

A note as well: there is a problem with cars getting broken into on campus. Time to step up security in the parking lots.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better, and don't take such a hard line with people.