Ivy Tech Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

Ivy Tech Community College Reviews

Updated September 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Really enjoy working with students and seeing them succeed (in 9 reviews)

• Helping students go from zero experience to completing full graphic design projects is very rewarding (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The number of full time faculty is small compared to part time instructors (in 26 reviews)

• Low pay in comparison to other institutions (in 23 reviews)

1. "Front Desk"

Former Employee - Front Desk in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Front Desk in East Chicago, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The College is a great opportunity for career advancement

Cons

a new person com in as staff and changes things

Advice to Management

To hire someone with a good heart, someone whom smiles

2. "Staff"

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time

Pros

Great place to work!

Cons

I can't think of any cons. I love it here.

3. "Faculty Advisor & Instructor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very Flexible, Work/Life Balance. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

Always changing. Limited upward mobility.

4. "Great Place to be an Adjunct"

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The department chairs are very nice and flexible. I can only speak to being an adjunct instructor but I loved it at Ivy Tech. I was not micromanaged and was able to teach a wide variety of courses.

Cons

The pay for adjuncts should be a little higher.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring the adjuncts when a full-time position opens. We put in a lot of time and effort for little pay.

"Many problems - Also, there is a new CEO (update, Glassdoor)"

Current Employee - Professor
    Current Employee - Professor

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers and staff
    Fairly relaxed environment

Cons

Low pay
    No job security
    Micro-management by the excess number of administrators
    Silly rules to keep employees under control (power trip)
    Constant changes to systems so as soon as you learn one system, it changes
    Did I mention low pay
    Read the fine print, or you'll get screwed
    Phony smiles from some folks
    Cost of living increase is what they consider raises.
    They won't let FT faculty teach FT in the summer, even at adjunct pay, screwing us.
    Wasteful spending by central office.

Advice to Management

Faculty Senate and a Union are both badly needed.
    Advice is to remedy all of the Cons I mentioned:
    Low pay
    No job security
    Micro-management by the excess number of administrators
    Silly rules to keep employees under control (power trip)
    Constant changes to systems so as soon as you learn one system, it changes
    Did I mention low pay
    Read the fine print, or you'll get screwed
    Phony smiles from some folks
    Cost of living increase is what they consider raises. Guess, what, that isn't a raise.
    Wasteful spending by central office.

"deeply concerned about administration"

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work not too demanding. Always, always, always wonderful when helping a student and they finally understand something. Management generally accommodating for time off as long as hours are covered. Most coworkers/staff/faculty friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons

Poor vetting of supervisory staff. Myself & coworkers were mistreated and disrespected by new supervisor of our department, but administration doesn't want to step in. I've been asked to do things that I feel uncomfortable doing, and then punished when I don't do them. This person has also gone against policy on several things immediately after I explain policy.

Besides that, the pay is pretty bad compared to other institutions. The "professional development" materials are a joke. There's little to no upward mobility for part-time staff unless you get really lucky and administration likes you.

Advice to Management

Properly vet new hires. Take complaints seriously.

"They just don't care as much as they lead on."

Current Employee - Adminsitration Level
    Current Employee - Adminsitration Level

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Ivy Tech for over 10 years as a full-time salaried staff member. In the beginning it was a great place to work and salaries and benefits were competitive. Everyone was receptive to ideas from all levels of staffing and teachers. It is helpful in finding another job to have that you worked for the largest Single Accredited Community College in the nation.

Cons

For many years now, the majority of teachers really don't care anymore. The majority of upper administration doesn't care anymore either. Their main focus is money and not success of students. Central Administration in Indianapolis used to listen to all the folks at the regional level, now they don't and they run everything and make decisions that directly effect you and will never even ask you for input. That is not how you run any business even the business of education. One size doesn't fit all. There is a lot of nepotism especially at the regional level. How can a husband and wife work together in the same area? How can the Director of HR be in that position when their immediate family works in the same region as they do? If you are related to someone there already then you will have it easy. If you are not then you will have it very difficult. I stated before that the majority of teachers do not care. They don't care whether or not you pass, they do not care about updating their materials they teach, they do not care if you have a family emergency, etc... This institution went down hill ever since they hired Snyder as their president. Now a new president has been hired. Hopefully she can clean it up there but it would start in removing so many of the corrupted chancellors, Deans, Teachers, Admins, etc... The majority of classes are taught by adjuncts that really don't give a crap and are there just for a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Pull your heads out of each others you know what and listen to your employees. Just because you feel superior to everyone else, doesn't mean you are. Look at how you try to make it a family atmosphere among the employees but instead you are making it the Hatfield's and McCoy's. Lastly teachers do NOT know what's best most of the times. Listen to your staff just as much.

8. "Great job while you're taking classes"

Former Employee - Accounting Tutor
    Former Employee - Accounting Tutor

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Besides a few times in a portion of the work day where a large influx of students come in, the rest of the time in your shift you can do what you want to do like homework or even watch a movie. Cody is the only supervisor that I worked with and he tries his best to make things easy for you, so you can better assist the students.

Cons

Unless you're tutoring math it's hard to get many hours in a week. Also to input your time cards you have to go to a different location than the one you will probably work at.

Advice to Management

Get some online way to input time sheets or allow tutors to put in hours at the location the tutor at.

9. "Community College"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ivy Tech Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The President of the school is very involved and care about both students and employees, and she communicates on a regular, and make it easy to follow her lead.

Cons

The pay is low

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and always keep an open mind

"Ivy Tech Sellersburg Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sellersburg, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sellersburg, IN

I worked at Ivy Tech Community College (More than 10 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere
    Excellent Co-workers
    Health and retirement benefits are outstanding
    Job is rewarding when you see graduates succeed

Cons

Low pay in comparison to other institutions
    As with all higher ed institutions, enrollment highly dictates advancement and raises
    Extremely political

Advice to Management

Keep issues confidential and show more respect for employees who go above and beyond. It is very disheartening to find out that confidential information shared with management is discussed with others.