IvyCrest Montessori Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Fullerton, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Fullerton, CA

I have been working at IvyCrest Montessori full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, environment. Good employee benefits and families with a real sense of community. Offering a variety of after-school art, music and sports classes for the children is wonderful especially because they have their own multipurpose room and stage to use. The teacher break room is the best I've ever had.

Cons

The only real problem is parking for everyone.
     The employees have to park down the street at a church because of the complaining neighborhood. Getting the schedule that you want.

Advice to Management

Consider scheduling priority to those in school rather then seniority. Strongly urge the city officials to stop policing who can park on the public streets when they have no problem allowing the nearby nursing home, college and high school students to park on them.

"Look elsewhere"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at IvyCrest Montessori as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The staff are friendly. There's lunch that can be purchased through the school if you don't have time to run out. Paid days off are more then just the legal holiday pay and a discount is offered for your child to attend their school.

Cons

There's no structure, you either sink or swim. The term self starter takes on a new meaning and the word fake it till you make it gets thrown out there a lot. The school is good for attending, not so much to work for. Don't expect a raise unless you ask for it and even when you do ask, be prepared to fight for it. Staff morale is extremely low, there's little to no room for advancement. There is no proper "HR" department. The punch in and out system is very questionable. If you're late, pay is deducted, if you're early, your time is reset back to your regular start time. You need to pay for your own live scan and cpr classes. Overall working conditions are not up to code. There's no leaving on good terms unless you retire from there and even then it's questionable you will be on good terms with them. Biggest peeve is there's no direct deposit. They use to have it and when asked accounting said it was too expensive. This baffled me considering every child that attends is spending $1000+ dollars. They really can't afford direct deposit for their staff?

Advice to Management

Hire on a business consultant with an educator's background. Micro management is not your friend. Trust the staff you hired on to do their job as educators. Do something about your turnover rate. Clue: contracts are not the solution.

3. "Not what they seem."

Former Employee - Head Montessori Teacher in Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Head Montessori Teacher in Fullerton, CA

I worked at IvyCrest Montessori full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Parents are great, children are great. Administration is always willing to spend money on nice materials

Cons

Over enroll, teachers are under paid and are put under lots of stress and pressure. You have to wear uniforms and if they are not up to their expectations they will send you to buy new ones in accounting at that moment. You only get a discount for one child.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your teachers more and they won't leave as often. Stop caring about the money and more about your reputation.

4. "Teacher Assistant"

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Fullerton, CA

I worked at IvyCrest Montessori full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working here. It is such a nice school and plenty of toys and learning tools for the children. After working at 3 other schools since I finished my AA in Child Development I really felt at home because of my coworkers and the knowledgable supportive management. I am already missing them but more so the wonderful children and families. I was very sad to go but with my fiancé getting a great opportunity in Washington I had to leave.

Cons

The only negative I can think of is that the parking for employees is a walk which when raining or hot out isn't fun. There were a few employees who complained but mostly being sent home early. The Director where I worked rotated so it was infrequent and sometimes nice but I suppose that depends on your financial situation.

Advice to Management

To keep an open line of communication because I felt I could share and get support on most anything and that was so refreshing compared to my previous jobs. I have been searching for a new job up here and that's my wish!

5. "Montessori Philosophy Thriving"

Current Employee - Director/Supervisor
    Current Employee - Director/Supervisor

I have been working at IvyCrest Montessori part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Montessori materials are abundant and presented with passion. Our playgrounds are astonishing with ALL Rubber surfacing and even a Water Park, You can see that love and care has gone into keeping the campus at its best for all of our children, customers and staff. Staff are treated great and just had a brand new makeover of the huge BreakRoom ! Our Fantastic Staff, Parents, Children & our Attentive Admin make our School a great family culture !

Cons

The parking is a problem and the Fun activities can get crowded. Unfortunately the Summer field trips and workshops fill up quickly but now we've added our own School Van that can allow us to take more children!

Advice to Management

I'd say that they're doing a wonderful job considering the amount of families they are serving and the expectations of the owner and requirements of Social Services. Academics Fitness and The Arts are always evolving as the school enjoys over 44 years of serving the community!

"Montessori Philosophy Forgotten"

Former Employee - Teacher in Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Fullerton, CA

Pros

There were always exciting activities to be involved in, but many were done after hours cutting into family time. The students were wonderful. Beautiful Campus. Abundant amount of Montessori Materials.

Cons

The school did not follow Montessori Philosophy. School did not have mixed age classrooms, appropriate amount of time given to material exploration, and classrooms allowed limited amount of movement. The management also lacked compassion when communicating with parents and an a lot of rules were in place for students, teachers, and parents.

Advice to Management

Honor the Montessori Method by embracing Maria Montessori's philosophy. Work with parents to educate them about the value to their children. Treat parents, staff, and parents in a respectful manner like Maria Montessori.