J.B. Hunt Reviews in Arkansas | Glassdoor

3.3
J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III
John N. Roberts III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Engineering department has a great community, good work-life balance, interesting projects (in 25 reviews)

• Great people working for the company (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life Balance is challenging (in 70 reviews)

• Given the industry, it sometimes calls for long hours when the workload is heavy (in 77 reviews)

"Wonderful Company"

Current Employee - Regional Logistics Manager in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Regional Logistics Manager in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strategic business practices, think outside the box, encourage self starting. Technology based company, the best of the best!

Cons

Big company at times can get overlooked

2. "Carrier Sales Coordinator"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Coordinator in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Coordinator in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity. The culture is welcoming, and there is great sense of community. The job is a starting point for a great career.

Cons

This job does not have the highest pay. It can be stressful dealing with carriers. There are better starting points within J.b. hunt.

"Customer Experience Intern"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Intern in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Intern in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really nice coworkers and environment

Cons

Never had an orientation day. Was thrown into the job with no real structured training until 3 months into the job.

Advice to Management

Try to make job more attractive to interns

"Great position. Ton of work"

Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great first step into the door to observe operations and get your feet wet in the industry. Fast paced environment

Cons

Huge work load. Work load large enough for two employees, tons of responsibility and long hours. Must enjoy working with drivers to be happy

Advice to Management

Restructure responsibility set. Feels rather narrow in terms of overall insight to company

"Drastically Insufficient Pay For Workload"

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Lowell, AR

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company keeps growing, so lots of work to be had.

Cons

Insulting compensation levels for those lower down the corporate ladder, particularly considering the demands and workload. Before I realized what a slave-driving sham this company is, I recommended a couple very qualified people I knew to apply for openings and they related very bad experiences getting treated like garbage by recruiting and HR and I felt bad for ever recommending the company to outside talent. It was really puzzling since the people had outstanding track-records in business, but the fact is that recruiting and HR people and processes become more of a disaster with each passing year and the level of incompetence is stunning.

Advice to Management

Better compensation for lower level positions. Revamp your recruiting and HR processes and stop plugging the absurdly incompetent into those positions.

J.B. Hunt Response

Oct 16, 2017 – Sr. Director of Human Resources

We're always looking for ways to improve our new hire selection process, and would love to hear your thoughts. Please contact me at 800.777.4968 so that we can understand your suggestions.

"Growing company, good people, but behind the times in some areas"

Former Employee - IT Management in Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - IT Management in Lowell, AR

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable work/life balance. There are always times that are exceptions, but it was not the cultural norm at JBH to work excessive overtime.

Many employees with long tenure and lots of pride in the organization.

Great business partners that are passionate about the work.

Cons

Restrictive salary rules and limitations caused loss of high potential talent.

As of 2016 the company was still a waterfall shop. Previous attempts at Agile were small grassroots efforts. New procedures implemented in 2016 further solidified a classic waterfall approach to large project management with heavy process and documentation.

Advice to Management

Address salary policies to allow for doing the right thing to help with retention.

Willingness to adopt industry best practices around Agile, DevOps, and other modern approaches.

"Recruiting Coordinator"

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Lowell, AR

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family team. Great opportunity to learn.

Cons

Management is not cohesive

Advice to Management

The managers need to listen and understand instead of reiterating the policies or why it's someone else's fault.

8. "Right team, right project, right attitude"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Software Engineer in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Software Engineer in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New CIO has a focus on pushing towards a more tech-centric focus, thus improving the culture in IT.
    The IT is getting more and more funding.
     Most of the people are easy going and have a can-do mentality.
    There is never a shortage of work.
    They are improving the stability of their developer's environment.
    If you're lucky enough to be on the right team or project, there is a good chance that you will be promoted quickly, given that you know your stuff.
    There is a good balance between work and life. It's rare to be expected to put in more than 40 hours in a week as long as you scope your projects, and hit your deadlines.

Cons

If you don't have someone championing your work and your successes, promotions may be few and far between.
    The pay is not competitive compared to your average Tech company, even for being in a lower cost of living area.
    There are some bad eggs in middle management that foster destructive conflict rather than cooperative growth.
    There is never a shortage of work. (Yes, this is a con too. The business side has a hard time accepting that they cannot have everything they want at once. As a result, requirements change, and priorities can change often).
    They are behind on using the best, most widely accepted frameworks.
    There is a lack of adapting to the reality of a situation with regards to feasibility and projects when unexpected problems arise.
    IT is still second class to the main business employees.
    If you're not on the right team or the right project, it's as if your efforts go unnoticed, and you may watch others race up the ladder and receive big raises despite putting in no more effort than you.

With all these cons in mind, take it with a grain of salt. There are politics in any business, and overall JB Hunt is a solid place to begin or grow your career. Just keep in mind that if you're wanting to rush up the corporate ladder, tenure means everything here. Couple the right attitude, and making sure you're on the right team, or the right project and you could achieve that goal. Just don't expect to make 100k out of college or with any position lower than the highest of Senior Software Engineers or ISC/ISA roles. You'd be luck to get 65k out of college here (See competitive wages con).

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more, and you'll retain talent.
    Avoid using contractors for large scale projects that will be the foundation of your company's future.
    Trust your developers.
    Find a better way to walk the line of being strict on deadlines vs having unreasonable expectations.
    If you're going to have a bonus system, pay what you publish on your bonus schedule.
    Give your IT department a true home, and end the constant reorganization of desks.
    Bring your developers into the inner circle of coming up with new ideas. We're all in it together, and an ivory tower mentality fosters resentment, not cooperation.

"A Disaster That's Only Getting Worse"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Lowell, AR

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good gig if you happen to be in with their tight good ol' boys network, otherwise you may as well go be a share-cropper. A lot of position openings, which may make it SEEM like there's growth opportunity, but there really isn't.

Cons

Ridiculously low wages for the responsibilities, hours, and pressures, unless you happen to be one of the corner office boys, then you're rolling in dough and laughing your way to the bank on the backs of (practically) slave labor.

Recruiting and HR are an unmitigated disaster and only getting worse. I mean a real clown show, and like most clown shows, they're creepy and scary and not the least bit funny. Seriously, what has happened to human resources processes (everywhere) over the past 10 or so years that it has become such a dysfunctional disaster? And to make matters worse, the department heads at JB Hunt seem to have been emasculated by the borderline retards in recruiting and "talent acquisition" and the absurdly dysfunctional application algorithm they use. I had to literally laugh out loud when I heard the position they were finally interested in me for over some of the other ones for which I had applied and was infinitely more qualified.

The same positions are a revolving door, so recruiting and HR clearly don't know what they're doing in getting the right people in. Despite the happy faces on the surface in the halls and offices, there is a LOT of dissension in the ranks which is indicative of an increasingly toxic culture and very poor leadership up the ladder.

This is another former proud family operated company that has completely abandoned its values once the founder has passed on.

Advice to Management

Take a good look in the mirror and feel shame, deep unshakable shame. But, like most sociopaths, you probably won't feel a thing except a bloated sense of self worth.

Rip your recruiting process to pieces, literally toss some of the worthless hacks in HR out the door, and start over. Also, the board of directors needs to take a long hard look at the executive team and the plummeting company culture.

J.B. Hunt Response

Sep 7, 2017 – Sr. Director of Human Resources

We're sorry to hear that your experience was so dissatisfying. Please contact me through our HR Solutions Center at 800.777.4968 and I'd be happy to talk to you about our recruiting process and what... More

10. "SR Manager"

Current Employee - Client Manager in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

JB Hunt is a good place to work the pay is decent the people you work with and for our good to you they have good benefits

Cons

The biggest downfall of JB Hunt is nothing but the good old boy policy you know somebody you get promoted

Advice to Management

Pay attention to people who are being promoted within a group whether they be mostly male or mostly female