J.B. Hunt Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III
John N. Roberts III

Pros
  • Engineering department has a great community, good work-life balance, interesting projects (in 22 reviews)

• Great people working for the company (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance for office employees (in 65 reviews)

• They have you work long hours, and drive in savory places to begin (in 71 reviews)

1. "Not what it's cracked up to be"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Windsor Locks, CT
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Windsor Locks, CT

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work experience is all there is.

Cons

Pay is horrible for a truck driver. They have you going to NYC and boston. Extremely disorganized, and pig headed.

Advice to Management

Wake up before the word gets around.

"TERRIBLE PAY!!!!!"

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Haslet, TX
    Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Haslet, TX

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got home every day, pulling rail containers

Cons

Start you out at THERE starting pay, which was for this account was .30/mile. They do not care HOW MUCH experience you come in with, but you will start out at bottom pay, even if you have 25 years of experience. You have to work 10 years with them if you want to make any money with them. Other companies I work for started you at your experience level, not has a beginner!!

Advice to Management

Pay your drivers with years of experience what they are worth, not has a new driver coming just out of truck driving school!!

3. "will Lie to your face."

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Louisville, KY

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros at this company

Cons

You will never get what they say they will offer you.

Advice to Management

Fire all your management and start over.

5. "Local"

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Van Buren, OH
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Van Buren, OH

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay good. Notes and weekends off

Cons

Camera truck. Sometimes signals your speeding when you're not constantly getting called to office
    People in dispatch office never drove truck before
    Once fell and was injured head injury. Received disaplinary write up wile I was gone on medical leave for workers comp and was told I had to sign or not be allowed to come bad to work. Lost all respect for job hunt after that. Now all loads are floor loads we are always having to wait for trailers to be loaded doesn't run smoothly any more. It's a mess. I am starting other job wanted to stay but can't deal with any more nonsense

Advice to Management

Require everyone in office to have cdl. Require every one in office to have knowledge about trucking

"Avoid this place"

Current Employee - Inter-modal in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Inter-modal in Denver, CO

Pros

Processing..........1 dispatcher at night is good although she has seen rarely. From what I could tell during training. The dispatchers that work out of Denver are good.

Cons

Dispatchers, or as they call them "managers" are terrible. Equipment is terrible. The Peoplenet is a joke. Worse place i have worked they lie about sign-on bonuses.

Advice to Management

Get better equipment. Get on dispatchers when they take and hour to do a simple task. Get rid of Peoplenet. Better trailers? Put dispatchers for local, local. And don't lie about sign-on bonuses

"Jb Hunt"

Former Employee - Driver Placement Specialist in Rogers, AR
    Former Employee - Driver Placement Specialist in Rogers, AR

I worked at J.B. Hunt (Less than a year)

Pros

great work hours, the hunt family is great, the CEO goes in the right direction, they have really nice buildings.

Cons

The lower management, for the most part think they know everything, and everyone that comes that is new, they seem to belittle you, and expect you to know everything from the beginning. the pay is terrible for what you have to go through, constantly they have the shift leaders send out mass emails to get to work harder and faster.

"Run away"

Former Employee - Yard Driver in Newburgh, NY
    Former Employee - Yard Driver in Newburgh, NY

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management and company suck beyond words

Cons

Worst company with the worst management I've ever had or seen

Advice to Management

Go away

"Part-Time Night/Weekend Dispatcher"

Current Employee - Night Dispatcher in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Night Dispatcher in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours for college student

Cons

No incentive to work hard-no compensation
    No advancement opportunities
    Tasks/Responsibilities are increased on employee's, as fellow workers quit, and company refuses to hire more help.
    HUGE Free-Rider problem: the best worker's will do most of the work, and there is little management oversight on free-riders.

"Helloween come early"

Former Employee - Truck Driver Inter-modal in Lancaster, MA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver Inter-modal in Lancaster, MA

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time

Pros

Not many if any, their pay is reasonable but I'm making lost more now. Really trying to find something but cant, sorry.

Cons

J B Hunt is a Fortune 500 Company, and they are all about making money, period. You are but a instrument to that end. They have many subdivisions and branches off, of that. Lots depends on where you are headed. my personal experience was at Lancaster, Mass. Intermodal. We our 63 and have been in the transportation business all our lives. The job it self was a piece of cake, what was hard was all the political bull one has to deal with and the arrogant, sadistic, ignorant behavior of the management, to the point of impossible intolerability. Their policies are driven by a paranoia fear of litigation. So there is no rider policy, no pet policy, no phone policy while driving, not even while wearing a wireless head set. Their trucks are governed at 63, with very little power for hills, and you must maintain a 7 second following distance, which is in my opinion is most unreasonable on the east coast. Their trucks are loaded with senses that when and if they go off for what ever reason you are brought in, lose a half days pay and spanked and written up by a person that never has driven truck. If you attempt to defend yourself they will say well so and so has driven truck and they proceed to bring in one of their brown nosed yes men to help try to decapitate you. In short you are hired to be fired, stay far far away. Did not meet any one that was happy in that place. What amazes me the most is just how ignorant the head office is. There is a three thousand sign on bonus ( should of figured why) we saw three hundred of it. With 32 starting orientation, 12 of us made it through, then you have to go out with another driver for three to four days. All mine did was bad mouth the company and management. We continually wrote the front steer tires up for being in need of replacement but never were, they simply didn't care.

Advice to Management

Now drive for another company, and very happy, doing a lot more with less, because we our not sadistically micro managed.

"55 hrs a week $450 GROSS"

Former Employee - Local Truck Driver in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Local Truck Driver in Chicago, IL

Pros

off weekends. new trucks. lunchroom food at the chicago intermodal location is great. fuel on site.

Cons

They will not pay you. they give the best runs to their favorites. home depot account does not pay empty miles. if you drive up from joliet to wisconsin and get dispatched to come back empty you will be paid ONE WAY.

Advice to Management

invest in your current employees. dont dump on drivers because you feel they are replaceable.