J.B. Hunt Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III
John N. Roberts III

Pros
  • Engineering department has a great community, good work-life balance, interesting projects (in 22 reviews)

• Great people working for the company (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance leaves room for improvement (in 64 reviews)

• They have you work long hours, and drive in savory places to begin (in 71 reviews)

1. "safety coordinator"

Former Employee - Safety in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Safety in Atlanta, GA

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

distance good traveling distance of company

Cons

pay, discrimination, unprofessional, poor management in terminal

"Not a long-term career; collect your knowledge and experience for your resume and move on"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Allentown, PA

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a job but that doesn't mean it is a job worth going to everyday. This may be the standard in the transportation industry.

Cons

Management is totally disconnected from the operation. They have little oversight by Upper management. Racism is tolerated all around and this appears to be a corporate wide practice because "transportation isn't politically correct."

Managers continually yell, threaten, use offensive language, and try to intimidate. Thick skin is essential in the industry but no one should have to walk in to a hostile work environment on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to pay attention to what is going on in the individual regions. The Northeast is being run by good ol boys and they don't have the companies best interests in mind. They are solely focused on themselves and their expense accounts. Local account/general managers who don't follow the ethics standards the company publishes need to be demoted or terminated. No one should lead by force! Sometimes the best way to improve something is to wipe the slate clean and start over with new and fresh minds.

J.B. Hunt Response

Apr 25, 2017 – Sr. Director of Human Resources

J.B. Hunt will never tolerate any form of discrimination, so please contact me or your regional HR Client Manager directly so that we can investigate this situation. We agree that any form of hostile ... More

"A Hot Mess"

Current Employee - Programmer in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Programmer in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's not Walmart
    Fortune 500 company

Cons

Incompetent management
    Promotion/hiring by connections, not merit
    They seem to take every opportunity they can to make sure you feel undervalued

Advice to Management

Wake up

"Unfair, depressing, hostile"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Lowell, AR

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you're young this is a great starter job with many entry level positions to choose from, and it's a social environment so it's easy to make many friends.

Cons

I had worked here the majority of the years since 1998. This place has ruined me to ever want to be an employee again. Major favoritism happens. If you are good at your job, you don't get promoted (especially true in operations) because you are too valuable to let go. The employees most valued are the ones who, especially men, get out of their chairs, mill around the building and socialize and BS and basically do less work overall. This is a requirement to get recognition. Not a good environment for the "productive introvert".

Any of the upper management that had been there since the 1980's got away with anything they wanted. When I was an ASM, I had 2 managers that were men who were known to go around massaging the shoulders of females and poked fun as they wished. HR did not care. It was like they tenure and did whatever the hell they wanted. One of them ACTUALLY RUBBED A HARD ON on me!! Discreetly, but it was there. There was a 3 year period that I left and came back only because I was desperate to pay off some debt and the manager who hired me acted like he owned me and never let me hear the end of my mistakes from my previous time. I was a night Walmart AR for 5 years and held the duties of a Sr AR but without the pay or title. After I left, the overnight AR who was a man, was given my old job and made a Sr AR. I still have a relative working there so I know for sure there is still sexism and favoritism happening.

The bonus plans are now a joke. Probably to pay for their new construction going up to hire more fresh college students making $30k.

Advice to Management

Make the work environment less hostile. Reward and promote your quieter employees who like to get things done. Be aware of sexism and favoritism. Don't form a clique with subordinates. Treat them equally even if you don't necessarily like them all equally. They are your employees. Spend more time supporting your employees rather than listening only to customer demands.

"Getting worse"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Orlando, FL

Pros

Ok salary and benefits for a job that requires very little intelligence.

Cons

Very little time off. 60+ hour work week is the norm. Incompetent account managers running locations and passing on workload to operation supervisors. Technology is at least 20 years behind. Internet connection is slow, softwares are not designed to allow work to be done. Inventory software is garbage. Permission is needed to accomplish the smallest thing. Work is very repetitive.

Advice to Management

Grow up! Allow individuals who have experience in a particular subject to participate in the planning and implementation process of whatever is taking place. Demote account managers who are not performing.

7. "Not a Good Experience"

Former Employee - Client Manager III in Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Client Manager III in Lowell, AR

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large company with a lot of visibility in the market.

Cons

Salaries are LOW and definitely below industry standards

"Sexism and lies"

Former Employee - Transportation Specialist in Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Transportation Specialist in Lowell, AR

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none? Maybe the catering in the lunch room? The offices were pretty, so I guess that's nice too?

Cons

Sexism - men from outside the company hired rather then promote women from their teams.
    No paid holidays
    Uneven bonus pay

J.B. Hunt Response

Jan 16, 2017 – Sr. Director of Human Resources

I'm sorry to hear that your experience has been negative, and would like to talk to you to address your concerns. On December 1st, J.B. Hunt implemented a new Paid Time Off policy which provides paid ... More

"Yard supervision"

Former Employee - Yard Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Yard Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's hard to say anything positive about this company. Especially when they pay so minimal and do not help contribute with benefits

Cons

Low pay
    Bad benefits
    Poor growth potential
    Over managed
    Poor management structor
    Unorganized
    10 hr work days
    Bad career progression program

Advice to Management

Figure it out!!

"Partnership Development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The actual people who do the everyday work are wonderful.

Cons

Executives and management no longer seem to value employees loyalty and commitment, systems are cumbersome, pay scales are all over the place and much lower in comparison to the area.

Advice to Management

catch a clue to the number of seasoned employees jumping ship

"Senior software engineer"

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time

Pros

Decent salary and they have always provided the equipment needed to do my job

Cons

Lack of vision and cohesiveness. Recently management has started to make wholesale changes to the information technology department, ( some good, some bad). These changes are morphing us into a shop just like all the rest, causing us to lose out comparative advantage - knowledge the logistics business. Consequently, a large number of, IT professionals with 15 years of more of experience have abandoned the cause and moved on. This is not good for morale and that is why I have to rate jbhunt as low as I have.

Advice to Management

Please listen to and include your senior people in decision making. I know as an employee my job is to support your vision, but if you don't share it out ask for advice we can't help you or the company be successful!