J.B. Hunt Reviews | Glassdoor

J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Engineering department has a great community, good work-life balance, interesting projects (in 21 reviews)

• Great people working for the company (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance leaves room for improvement (in 64 reviews)

• They have you work long hours, and drive in savory places to begin (in 70 reviews)

"Not a good company to work for."

Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Lowell, AR

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started off as a FM on the OTR side of the company then was "promoted" to a special project manager position. Traveled a lot, and with experience gained. My next career path will be a walk in the park in comparison.

Cons

extremely long hours 5am-5pm, I worked with pop-up accounts and was basically working 7 days a week, pay was 33k so I was extremely underpaid. I knew this, asked for a raise/another manager to help out with day to day operations (at least a two man job). Little to no training, trial by fire mentality, and to be honest about everyone there was so miserable it was depressing to come into work with all the sad people around you. I had to run/workout during lunch to keep from getting fat and depressed like the people there.

Anyways, the company has great potential, but they are far from there. There is no team building, training, and an extreme lack of synergy.

Advice to Management

Take you team out to lunch, have a softball or ultimate frisbee league, cookouts, anything to get people to be part of a team not just a miserable cubicle farm with sad fat people. TRAINING, it works, the trial by fire deal.. not the best way to motivate your employees. Lastly, compensation.. seriously. I was up in NY, NJ, PA, CT, RI etc working 7 days a week for 33k. That was the back breaker that made me move on.

"final mile"

Former Employee - Local Truck Driver in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Local Truck Driver in Aurora, CO

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people you work with

Cons

They want you to work 12 to 14 hours a day and your pay never adds up. No one can fully explain how your pay is being broken down! You get written for just about everything even thing that is really out of your control. They are truly about making money for the company. Your pay changes week to week unless your there favorite.

Advice to Management

Don't take this job if you value your home life!!

"Glad I'm gone. Brokerage division"

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are good people inside the company.

Cons

Hours vs. Pay do not equal up. 7 days on call and 12 hr days is the norm. The internal structure of leadership is a joke here. Each year we as a company made more money but the "bonus" pay to the employee side went down each year I worked at Hunt. There was never an answer as to why only the "well just work harder" idea.

I'm pretty sure this company had a flavor of the week wheel they would spin each Monday and spend the week complaining about whatever the wheel landed on..... This keeps them from having to have a thought of their own.

Advice to Management

Look at the turnover. You can't treat people like indentured servants and expect them to keep caring that your bottom line is growing while their bottom line is getting worked off.

Take advice from the people that are doing the jobs instead of the talking heads who haven't been in the trenches for years and have no real clue of what the market is doing.

Or just keep doing what you are doing.... I don't know that J.B. would be very happy with where is company is now compared to the culture and environment he created way back when with those rice hulls.

5. "Good place for work/life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is good, allow you to try new things.

Cons

Team is always trying to find fault on you and complain to the Managers.We need to justify your work all the time to your Manager. Management is really good. Team culture hurts a lot.

6. "Driver"

Current Employee - Local Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Local Truck Driver

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good equipment and most managers are good

Cons

They need to change to only having Safety Managers that have a current CDL license and have actually driven a truck why should I have to explain myself to somebody that has never driven a commercial vehicle. Pay for local drivers average 1100.00 a week pay is not by the hour. When you divide your pay by your average hours worked it equals out to less than 14.00 hr most drivers work a 70 hour week. LTL companies pay around $18.00 to $27.00 hour

Advice to Management

pay local drivers by the hour instead of by the mile. Local drivers can not make a living getting paid by the mile

"Stay far far away"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Without a doubt the worst OTR company in the united states that I have worked for.

Cons

Trying to get home , pay and generally being treated like crap, trying ti get sleep while dispatchers send numerous messages over a QUALCOMM to tell you irrelevant info.

Advice to Management

Enjoy the fruits of your elitist business plan while your reputation continues to one of the industry's worst. Just remember there are a finite number of truck drivers on this planet and the vast majority already know from former employees like me how sorry JB hunt is

"sucks"

Former Employee - Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Driver in Atlanta, GA

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get paid for orientation

Cons

They expect you to go over the road broke and the black ball you. You will not be able to go another division in that company

Advice to Management

get you thumbs out of your buttocks

9. "Poor mngt., no respect for drivers, do pay all the entitled miles, I lost 800.00 dollars, I cannot lose $ in my business"

Former Employee - Inter-modal IC in Haslet, TX
    Former Employee - Inter-modal IC in Haslet, TX

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice equipment and clean trucks

Cons

Getting your pay and consistent miles

Advice to Management

Reduce your turnover.

10. "Not a place to work if your not one of the good old boys."

Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable job if you could tolerate all the politics.

Cons

Blatant favoritism in the SW region. Unethical managers and pay was lower than expected considering the work load. Positions created out of thin air for friends and family of Operations Mangers, while deserving supervisors remained stuck in the same positions.

Advice to Management

Take every course on leadership and read every book on diversity in the workplace that's out there. Understand that high turnover is a sign that you have failed the employee. Also, you get what you pay for, if only fresh college grads are applying for your positions expect a lot of bumps in the road while they learn common things that most people with a couple years experience already know how to handle. Also expect the same issues to occur over and over because most supervisors leave the company within a year or two, in the SW region.

"Not for me"

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very good equipment,sat on yards alot when my home time was due,was left in Indiana,when promised home time for Christmas..

Cons

Dispatch is very poor,none have ever been inside a truck,or many places you are sent.They do not understand,being in a large city with poor directions

Advice to Management

From my understanding the old jb hunt was very good at taking care of the driver.The current is all about money.That's why they have a revolving door.