J.B. Hunt Reviews | Glassdoor

J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated June 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Engineering department has a great community, good work-life balance, interesting projects (in 22 reviews)

• Great people working for the company (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life Balance is challenging (in 66 reviews)

• They have you work long hours, and drive in savory places to begin (in 72 reviews)

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at J.B. Hunt (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and the proprietary software are actually pretty good.

Cons

Usual, over worked and under paid. Upper management is completely disconnected from what is actually going on.

Advice to Management

Manage your numbers not your account. Upper management doesn't care about anything but what it looks like on paper. Make sure that your answer is always yes. Never turn down a possion move even if you don't want it. Upper management looks at you as though you are not a company man/woman.

"Night Compliance"

Current Employee - Night Compliance in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Night Compliance in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work with two other people on this shift, so Seclusion. We get slightly better pay than people that work on days. Its pretty slow paced for the most part.

Cons

If you're a people person, this is not the position for you, the seclusion. The pay isn't much better than a day position. It's slow paced, I'm usually bored half the night if not longer. My personal life/social life is dead because normal people are sleeping when I get off work

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great! I don't have any complaints. Feel free to give me a pay increase if you'd like!

3. "Canadian Drayage Coordinator"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Palmer, AK
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Palmer, AK

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best group of people in the Sumner drayage office, I miss the environment!!

Cons

Couldn't get the support from Corporate that was needed for me to expand in my position... so sad!!

Advice to Management

Listen to the folks doing the job and pay them accordingly

4. "Jb hunt job review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McDonough, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McDonough, GA

Pros

Great company to work for easy picks and loads. Day is not to hectic hour paid lunch break. Overall a good company to work for

Cons

Sometimes when u think u going home your day is not over. Have to wait for the last truck and sometimes you don't know when it's coming

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work glad you guys hired me and maybe up the pay a Lil bit from 9 to 10-12 and everything would be perfect

5. "It's a great place to work and grow up your career. It's a great place to work."

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt (More than a year)

Pros

Career growth is always available

Cons

There is a lot of bureaucracy things must be done just the way they want it.

6. "Great company with tremendous growth opportunities."

Current Employee - Key Customer Manager in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Key Customer Manager in Lowell, AR

Pros

Stable
    Growth oriented
    Positive culture
    Care about their people
    The sky is the limit for this company, they are happy to relocate the right people across divisions and around the country too.

Cons

Don't get here and expect to be a VP in two years. There is a lot of equity in time spent and if you're afraid to work your way through the ranks the I'd think twice about joining the family here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you inspire your people everyday.

"Okay Company - a bit disorganized"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Asbury Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Asbury Park, NJ

Pros

-Company invests in allowing you to learn new things such as training in Arkansas even if you are an entry level employee
    -Company works to give all employees a chance to move up within the company if you stay long enough

Cons

-Most of the promotions are done based on seniority which allows for a lot of managers with little no management experience to be in positions of management.
    -Education has little bearing on the way that they treat you within the organization so don't expect because you improve your educational background it will help you get ahead
    -the fragmented DCS approach to the company is a pro and a con in that depending on how the account manager handles the account can directly change whether or not an account is handled effectively or not
    -The corporate level does little to intervene on an account by account basis unless you start to bleed money which doesn't identify and fix problems before they become an issue
    -Corporate has little to no influence on the account managers decisions which is a big issue especially if an account manager does not have the qualifications as a subordinate

Advice to Management

The structure of the organization has to be changed immediately. This is especially true in C&S accounts where you have a lot riding on the performance of those accounts. My brief experience in these accounts let me realize that turnover is a regular part of these accounts which is going to be an issue to the bottom line of the account in the long run and signifies a bigger issue with the managers who you have in at each of these accounts. For instance, C&S York was one of the most poorly run companies I think I've ever worked for -- and I've worked for minimum wage positions where I was treated better. The result is you have high turnover rates wherein operation supervisors who operate above the norm immediately leave for other opportunities, drivers are constantly coming and going, and account management is looking for the first option that doesn't involve C&S or get their upper management angry at them, that allows them to get out as soon as humanly possible. Most of the managers that I have dealt with simply chalk this up to the nature of the account which is NOT true and even more indicative of the horrible mismanagement which exists within the corporate structure of JB hunt in regards to these larger DCS accounts (DCS C&S accounts is where I have witnessed this first hand). These larger DCS accounts, like it or not, are the lifeblood of the recent exponential scaling that the company (which management I am sure is well aware of) has been able to achieve within the DCS division and people who are hired to these accounts need to be treated as 'the top performers the company has to offer, i.e. more of an elite position and not simply new hires, or those who have to deal with the punishment of past discretion. More than anything, as articulated by one of my fellow co-workers at the C&S York account, "This account is like if the NY Yankees; the role that this account plays in shaping the scope / size of the rest of the companies DCS accounts is immense. Why is it though that even though the influence this account has on the company is similar to the Yankee's on baseball, this account has about the same pull as the Marlin's in recruiting talent?" These accounts should be compensated better, staffed with better talent, and given the distinction of being the hardest and "creme-de-le-creme of the entire companies DCS division"; instead of being treated as a stage-trial you allow recent college graduates to run. The worst part about all of this is that even these recent college graduates are not given straight answers as to the progression within the company; why they are needed at these accounts; and their backgrounds are not vetted to properly handle the issues that arise when a recent college graduate with no professional experience is expected to handle the operations of a DCS account with over 100 drivers. The result is you have high turnover / terrible numbers / horrible driver and professional retention rates -- and instead of dealing with these issues and addressing the root problem behind them -- JB Hunt instead decides to treat it as a situational issue without framing it based on the bigger scenario that these managers are placed within. This will backfire if not changed in the future. This is the biggest gripe that I have with the company -- account management at these larger accounts / operation supervisors should be compensated and chosen based on the increased workload that they have to deal with instead of treating these larger accounts as a right of passage which nobody wants to do but everyone has to at some point grin and bear before getting to the easier "cake" account afterwards, "at the end of the rainbow, so to speak".

"Partnership Development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The actual people who do the everyday work are wonderful.

Cons

Executives and management no longer seem to value employees loyalty and commitment, systems are cumbersome, pay scales are all over the place and much lower in comparison to the area.

Advice to Management

catch a clue to the number of seasoned employees jumping ship

9. "Carrier Sales Coordinator"

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth/promotion. Young, fast-paced environment.

Cons

Lots of roadblocks to make changes from an IT/systems perspective that hinders growth.

"Senior software engineer"

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time

Pros

Decent salary and they have always provided the equipment needed to do my job

Cons

Lack of vision and cohesiveness. Recently management has started to make wholesale changes to the information technology department, ( some good, some bad). These changes are morphing us into a shop just like all the rest, causing us to lose out comparative advantage - knowledge the logistics business. Consequently, a large number of, IT professionals with 15 years of more of experience have abandoned the cause and moved on. This is not good for morale and that is why I have to rate jbhunt as low as I have.

Advice to Management

Please listen to and include your senior people in decision making. I know as an employee my job is to support your vision, but if you don't share it out ask for advice we can't help you or the company be successful!