J.B. Hunt Reviews | Glassdoor

J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated April 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Engineering department has a great community, good work-life balance, interesting projects (in 21 reviews)

• Great people working for the company (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance leaves room for improvement (in 64 reviews)

• They have you work long hours, and drive in savory places to begin (in 70 reviews)

1. "Logistic sales coordinator"

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to take vacation time. Meticulous job duties. Opportunity to work with other divisions on projects. Relaxed office culture no strict dress code.

Cons

Young management. Few promotion opportunities. Few opportunities to travel. Focus is at headquarters not in field. Work long hours in every division.

Advice to Management

Improve work/life balance
    Allow for employ improvement

2. "This Company does not care about you, unless you are apart of the in crowd."

Former Employee - Regional Delivery Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Regional Delivery Driver in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I was able to be at home regularly.

Cons

Fleet Managers think they are your boss. Actually, their job is to make sure the driver keeps moving freight so that the company makes money. Have a disagreement with one fleet manager, then none of the managers will dispatch you. Those fleet managers expect you to kiss their butt, but actually, it should be the other way around.

Advice to Management

You want to know why good drivers rarely stick around ? Look at how your fleet managers treat the new guys.

"Modern Day Slavery"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Hazleton, PA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Hazleton, PA

Pros

Decent pay for coming straight out of college. Resume builder.

Cons

Expect to work 50+ hours a week. Horrible work/home balance. Constantly on call. Expected to answer phone at all hours of the night. Must have laptop readily available to work(on the road/at home). Very political the higher up you go. More about who your friends with to get a good position, more so than your work ethic/demeanor. Drivers cry and moan about every little thing. Very bad technology - old laptops, slowest/cheapest internet speeds, outdated programs, crappy black ink only printers, have to call 6 people to solve 1 problem.

Advice to Management

Pay people for the hours they work. If I divided the number of hours I work in a two week span by the pay I receive, it would probably be just above minimum wage.

5. "Operations Manager"

Pros

Ability to promote fast
    Fast Pace environment
    diverse groups of peple
    Bonuses

Cons

Bad work/Life balance
    Small bonus for small accounts

"Operations Supervisor"

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time

Pros

They pay their employees on time.

Cons

No vacation for the first year of employment. Employees are overworked at a minimum of 10 to 13 hours per day (sometimes longer). Low pay, expensive benefits, and there is no change with their archaic way of doing business. All management is overworked and there is no sign of employing more staff to help with the work load. We have asked time and time again and no change to the number of employees to help assist with the work load. There is also no separation of work/home life. Supervisors are constantly bothered at nights, early mornings, and on the weekends.

Advice to Management

You need to authorize more staff members in order to help with the work load. The pay needs to be increased. There is no demographic priority given to the fact we live in the Bay Area. The pay is the same across the nation for all supervisors and we can't afford to work for J.B. Hunt and live in an expensive area they don't update the pay scales due to the area you live in. We are happy to work hard but we want to be properly compensated for our efforts.

"Going nowhere fast!"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Lowell, AR
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Lowell, AR

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

No incentive for an employee with a degree. Give them 8 1/2 years of a dedicated employee & you get nothing!

Cons

Low pay. Poor management, shady managers, favoritism. Poor pitiful managers

8. "Truck driver"

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New trucks. Blah blah blah

Cons

They leave you sitting sometimes for days waiting on a load.

Advice to Management

They want listen to advice.

"You've got to be kidding, J.B. Hunt!"

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time

Pros

There are no pros to being lied to then ripped off. People cannot pay their bills wasting their time with a greedy company such as this one...see below for example of what I am talking about, then decide if you would like to waste your time with these crooks....

Cons

A typical day at J.B. Hunt:
    You start your day, let’s say 0700.

Dispatch assigns you a tractor after waiting around for no less than 30 minutes.
    So scout around the yard for a few minutes you finally locate the tractor, perform an inspection, load up the tractor with all the necessary tools for the day….you are now ready to depart to the rail….but wait!
    You just performed that particular task for FREE

It’s now 0835:

Bob tail out the gate, sit in traffic mostly all the way to the Los Angeles BNSF rail.

Hold on…this function is done for FREE as well….

It’s after 0900

Wait in line to get into the rail yard, takes a few minutes. Enter your code numbers for the gate to lift and let you in and instruct the driver on where to find the loaded container.

Found the loaded container after a few minutes more, hook to it, inspect it for damages and safety, you are now ready to haul it to the customer….in this case from Los Angeles, California, to Ontario, California…about 40 miles in traffic…

Hold on a sec….this is also done FREE OF CHARGE…the driver is still not getting paid for anything…..not yet….

You finally arrive at the customer. The Driver drops the loaded container, hooks and inspects another container, whether it be loaded or empty..
    Complete inputting your time, PO numbers, load numbers etc, etc. on to the “Activity Sheet”… making sure you input the amount of pay you are awarded by J.B. Hunt….”CHA-CHING!”

$26.25.

It is now 10:30 am

The driver has worked 3.5 hours….. For twenty-six dollars and twenty-five cents….

Let’s do the math, shall we?

$26.25 divided by 3.5 hours = $ 7.50.…

J.B. Hunt has just gotten away with paying you “under” the minimum wage requirements.

"regional driver"

Former Employee - Regional Driver in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Regional Driver in Des Moines, IA

I worked at J.B. Hunt (More than a year)

Pros

good company till they changed the pay then you don't get paid nearly enough for all the hand loading and unloading that is involved

Cons

I deliveried a container to the shop to repair, found I had a flat tire pulled around the building to have it repaired, the boss and I got into it because I didn't call in to tell them I was getting a tire repaired and that caused me to loose my job

Advice to Management

let the drivers operate their truck in their way, not everyone operates in the same way

"WORST mistake of my life! If I could give negative stars I would!"

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Coordinator
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Coordinator

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess advancement for individuals who don't want to go far in life. Ok money. Looks good on a resume. (Get the experience then get out)

Cons

During the interview they talk up the position like you will be a huge part of the company and help the division grow, but all you do is answer phones and talk to drivers and dispatchers all day. You give them a price normally 200 under market and go back and forth for 3 minutes until you fold and give them the money or they fold and take the load. You work 45 hours a week getting yelled at by customers like you are actually in the truck with the drivers. You also get yelled at by your manager for not check calling enough, so make sure to call your driver every 15 minutes until he gets upset and curses you out on the phone…or turns off his phone. If you want to make something of yourself or have the opportunity to advance in a company don't take this position slow advancement and a lot of favoritism. Not to mention the bunch of know it all co workers. Take this job only if you are desperate for money.

Advice to Management

Stop having favorites! understand that transportation is unpredictable and we can only control so much. Pay more. Be more professional.