J.B. Hunt Reviews | Glassdoor

J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Engineering department has a great community, good work-life balance, interesting projects (in 24 reviews)

• You learn a lot about transportation (in 15 reviews)

Cons

1. "Class S Truck Driver"

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Joliet, IL

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and very flexibel with drivers.

Cons

Home time can be limited.

"Avoid this place"

Current Employee - Inter-modal in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Inter-modal in Denver, CO

Pros

Processing..........1 dispatcher at night is good although she has seen rarely. From what I could tell during training. The dispatchers that work out of Denver are good.

Cons

Dispatchers, or as they call them "managers" are terrible. Equipment is terrible. The Peoplenet is a joke. Worse place i have worked they lie about sign-on bonuses.

Advice to Management

Get better equipment. Get on dispatchers when they take and hour to do a simple task. Get rid of Peoplenet. Better trailers? Put dispatchers for local, local. And don't lie about sign-on bonuses

"Many dedicated accounts.rail work will keep you busy."

Former Employee - Company Driver in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Company Driver in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always has work. Work to home time is great. If you do dedicated or Rail work home every night. I would go back to them.

Cons

None that I had. Pay is ok. Dedicated account pays a lot different than Rail work.Rail pats by piece work.

"Partnership Development"

Current Employee - Partnership Development Analyst in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Partnership Development Analyst in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great people, decent location, people

Cons

work life balance- pay- benefits

Advice to Management

better pay

"Business Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The job is flexible and keeps you busy with the workload given. The corporate campus has nice scenery and is convenientally located.

Cons

There never seems to be enough employees. It's hard to get promoted unless you know a lot of upper management. It seems to be a lot of good ol boy club rather than hiring the person best fit for the job.

"Jb Hunt"

Former Employee - Driver Placement Specialist in Rogers, AR
    Former Employee - Driver Placement Specialist in Rogers, AR

I worked at J.B. Hunt (Less than a year)

Pros

great work hours, the hunt family is great, the CEO goes in the right direction, they have really nice buildings.

Cons

The lower management, for the most part think they know everything, and everyone that comes that is new, they seem to belittle you, and expect you to know everything from the beginning. the pay is terrible for what you have to go through, constantly they have the shift leaders send out mass emails to get to work harder and faster.

7. "Employment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AZ

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, good place for a career.

Cons

More of a private work environmen
    Bigger Gym.

Advice to Management

More to invested in your employees.
    Recognized when employees do a good job.
    Provide staffing with a reward for work well done.
    If you do something speciall for one shift make sure you are persistent with each shift by fairness

"Transportation representative"

Current Employee - Transportation Representative in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - Transportation Representative in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is great to gain Experience coming fresh out of college. and they have the resources to help you out when you need it.

Cons

the health care is very expensive. for someone who "needs" health care it is 50$ per week (200 per month), people how don't get health care pay 20/week but are cover substantially less.
    and they Make it Very hard to move up within the company.
    you will also face constant stress.

Advice to Management

they are not honest to their word or their employees, the level of micromanagement in some departments has become a "normal" employee "status" rather that of a proactive response to good leadership. -TO BE A LEADER, YOU MUST ALSO BE THERE-

"Smoking Mirrors, Hype, and no respect"

Former Employee - Truckload in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Truckload in Atlanta, GA

Pros

safety driven oriented company. They usually keep their fleet of company trucks no older than 3-4 years old. They have plenty of yards and terminals with showers and other amenities with safe parking for your convenience.

Cons

Lack of respect for experienced drivers in their Truckload division. Recruiters can be deceiving and over exaggerating on what certain accounts offer believe me I know. I've been with JB hunt on and off since 2003 with over 370,000 safe driving miles no accidents and I still find it difficult to expect honesty, respect, and good consistent pay with an fortune 500 company. So you may ask, why keep coming back? well, I love safety and this is a huge company with many different positions offered. So its never the same opportunities. However its the same culture. As a minority I find myself at a disadvantage at such large companies that marginalize and recycle drivers as myself because they ( Jb Hunt) gets great experience and never pay for it. The advantage of being a multiple rehire and or Job hopper for better treatment and pay is that I have my on profiles of management and culture. Diversity is extremely important at all levels of a company including HR to assure equal opportunity . Now from my experience at JB Hunt they lack diversity at upper management level which leaves a lot of room for unfair treatment and abuse. So as a minority in the truckload division expect to be talked down upon and misunderstood. They hire plenty of minorities as drivers and many as mechanics in the heavily urban areas, but I've never ever had a dispatcher of African American decent or operational managers. They just don't have them. It matters when it comes to fair pay and job offers. Also stop shorting drivers out of pay. This has happened on many occasions

Advice to Management

Listen to your drivers grievances. Hire minorities for management positions. Respect experienced drivers especially the ones that uphold the companies motto of "Safety first" through their performance. Stop profiling drivers and treat them base upon experience and performance. Stop marginalizing drivers pay. Stop hiring bigoted dispatchers who no nothing about trucking and or respect of others.

10. "Great"

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in San Jose, CA

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of jobs in california. Nice roads.

Cons

None I love everything

Advice to Management

More bonus