J.B. Hunt Transport "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

J.B. Hunt Transport Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 27 Jun 2019

3.4
J.B. Hunt Transport CEO John N. Roberts III
John N. Roberts III
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours but you learn to get used to it(in 104 reviews)

• "Work life balance being on the dedicated side can be daunting(in 88 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place"

I have been working at J.B. Hunt Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good upper management viability opportunities

Cons

Long hours to work during the day

J.B. Hunt Transport2019-06-05
  2. "Surrounded by unhappy employees"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at J.B. Hunt Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

Stable job, Fortune 500 company, ability to advance to account management quickly

Cons

Dirty office conditions, lack of training, rude employees, demanding driver requests, Job can easily be automated (besides driver interaction aspects) I came to this job with a college degree and there are individuals who have no prior experience who are capable of working the same job. I studied to work in the logistics industry, and I have the same position as someone who majored in art Low pay Long hours,... everyone works a night or weekend Unwelcoming work environment- employees complain about their job and others all day

Advice to Management

Give more qualified employees more responsibilities Focus less on relationships with drivers and more on planning properly

J.B. Hunt Transport2019-06-27

"Was good for about a year"

Current Employee - Local Truck Driver in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at J.B. Hunt Transport full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I liked it as I wanted to be local and there was quite a bit of local. Ok... Starting pay (so I thought). Reading the manual they tend to promote from within, so advancement opportunities. Ok...Vacation time (so I thought)

Cons

Long hours/days depending on location and contract. Expected to honor and abide by a 10hr off period even if local. (Example you have 10hrs off, but live 1hr away from where you park your truck, from where your "allowed" to park your truck. So back and forth that's 2hrs gone. So you really only have 8hrs off... Try to squeeze family time, food, sleep, etc into the remaining 8hrs and see how long you can... maintain it). While you do get PTO it's used for everything. Your account doesn't have work (happens) you take a PTO, your sick PTO, need to go to the Dr. PTO, need to go to a funeral PTO (they say they have funeral/bereavement/jury duty pay... But it's all PTO. Medical is a joke. It's modest on price, but doesn't actually cover much of anything. Within my first year or so, needed some surgery. While about 10k, was still under the insurance threshold and insurance wouldn't cover. Also if you need either a at home or a in-lab sleep study, insurance won't cover. Dental is a joke, especially for a company of this size. Dental coverage is enough for a cleaning and that's about it. Vision is also a joke, still quite high out of pocket expenses. In my time here I've met Managers who like to Power Trip, and treat drivers quite harshly. Managers will also tell you to knowingly break the law. Can't ever catch them in a text message saying it. (Bypass weigh stations, signout of ELD and continue to run, it's OK to run over axle/max weight, it's ok to Park illegal so long as load gets delivered, go to location park nearby getup during 10hr break deliver then go park back where you were and continue 10hr break) Lack of information to find advancement opportunities. Been here for a few years only last year did someone finally tell me where to go to find office positions. Lack of diversity... In the way of drivers to managers. Managers think they know what is required to drive a truck, refuse to go on ride alongs to see what drivers deal with day to day. There's an ability for drivers to report conditions of shippers / receiver's (how you were treated, conditions, bathrooms, parking etc) doesn't matter what you put, I have yet to see anything get fixed/changed. Pay... Changes depending on account, how your paid, how often your paid, and rate of pay. (Example: you could be "local" but your pay is activity based and pays say x per load, but can only do 3 loads due to time and traffic a day, but you'd prefer 6loads due to pay. Your account pays you off of activity, or mileage depending on how far you go for the day. Very few pay hourly, and fewer still will pay you salary. Lots of safety discussion is expected of a big company. Lots of safety equipment in the truck to keep you safe on the road (not always a good thing). There's a radar unit/forward camera on most trucks, car cuts you off you have X amount of time to brake before trigger warning get sent off to company. But say you brake and another car hops in front, you brake again and another car and the system is triggered and now you look like a bad driver in the eyes of the company even though your braked. I've had it before with this radar system that while cruise is engaged the radar system can control your brakes, I was driving in a curve and system detected a imminent hit (it was a posted/mounted mile marker sign that I was no where close to hitting), truck slammed the brakes took me from 60mph to about 40mph, thank God no one else was behind me. Have also had the system trip while sitting stationary and parked (didn't brake as was already stopped, but triggered a alert to company).

Advice to Management

Get more drivers in the office, make more drivers into managers. Make it easier for drivers to know there are advancement opportunities. Make more managers go on ride alongs to see all that drivers encounter

J.B. Hunt Transport2019-06-24

"Only for Grinders"

Current Employee - Operation Supervisor

I have been working at J.B. Hunt Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable paycheck Company name carries weight on your resume

Cons

Many locations have underqualified Account Managers which means that the underlings spend most of their time cleaning up their boss' messes. Extremely long hours There is a huge disconnect between headquarters and individual accounts No work life balance Management, most, not all, pencil whip everything rather than digging in to solve actual problems. Middle management very demanding without giving any real... training or guidance to their underlings. When a problem is reported, they will put on a show, but no real action will be taken to rectify the situation. Account managers will give you just enough information to do the tasks that they do not want to do, but not enough to be successful in a career here. If you really want to learn, and excel, this is not the place. If you want to sit in a job for years and just grind away, this is the perfect place for you.

Advice to Management

1. Don't announce your visits to individual locations weeks before arrival. If you truly want to know what is going on there, just show up unexpectedly. 2. When a problem is presented to you, offer a real solution, not just a show. 3. When you have a problem manager, get rid of them. You are losing a number of well educated, intelligent and talented individuals who are stuck under bad managers that you are... turning a blind eye to just because they have been in their positions for a long time.

J.B. Hunt Transport2019-06-14
  5. "Great people great career"

Current Employee - Capacity Procurement Representative in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the people and the work environment. It is definitely a work hard play hard environment.

Cons

Long hours but you learn to get used to it

J.B. Hunt Transport2019-05-07
  6. "Nice company to work for"

Current Employee - Driver Install Specialist in Aurora, CO

I have been working at J.B. Hunt Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good money, no weekends usually.

Cons

Long hours some days. Not quite enough training.

Advice to Management

Continue to put employees in a position to succeed

J.B. Hunt Transport2019-05-06
  7. "Good first job"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at J.B. Hunt Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

Understanding of the industry Decent Pay Opportunity to advance

Cons

Long hours 401K only matches 1/2

Advice to Management

Work to appreciate employees.

J.B. Hunt Transport2019-05-10
  8. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative

I worked at J.B. Hunt Transport full-time

Pros

Salary and bonuses were solid

Cons

Poor management Long hours No gratitude

J.B. Hunt Transport2019-04-03
  9. "Not a good company to work for"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor

I worked at J.B. Hunt Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

sometimes can work from home

Cons

Horrible Management, Long Hours, Terrible Pay, No structure of any kind

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on being friends with drivers and focus on being their boss and getting the job done.

J.B. Hunt Transport2019-04-10
  10. "Great Job"

Carrier Procurement Representative in Lowell, AR

I have been working at J.B. Hunt Transport for less than a year

Pros

Great environment, nice people, awesome culture

Cons

A lot of competition, long hours

Advice to Management

None

J.B. Hunt Transport2019-02-05