J. C. Penney Reviews in Orlando, FL | Glassdoor

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Marvin Ellison
Marvin Ellison
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • The worst thing about it is that all they care about is credit card applications (in 300 reviews)

• Work/life balance is nonexistent (in 125 reviews)

"Good Company but horrible bosses."

Current Employee - Product Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Product Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love make-up and skincare and Sephora !!!! You learn A LOT about the beauty industry in a little amount of time.

Cons

Sephora has the biggest cliques and "means girls" I ever seen in a big company. I've seen girls start eager to learn never but never come back because of the toxic work environment. Smh it's very sad! I have experienced a lot working with this company and it's DEFINITELY ABOUT WHO YOU KNOW verses what you know. The inside JCPenney is the only experience I have and it's A LOT of work verses freestanding Sephora. You have to learn color (make- up), skincare and fragrance for lesser pay. Freestanding pays like $5 more and you learn one category/field.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your employees more with their concerns and problems. Figure out a better way to educate besides store hours while customers are asking us questions.(It's a distraction) Have a NO TOLERANCE policy for management having cliques and being "mean girls". You can get more sales and have a way more productive team and work environment.

2. "career?"

Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Orlando, FL

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Get to meet new people who are like family after a long time associate.

Cons

This type of Employer will not look out for your best interest. Investing so much time talent and passion doesn't mean a thing when they decide to cut people just because.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your associates. Greet them and thank them as you do with customers. They need your appreciation more than you know. They are the ones that hold the store together along by your side.

"support specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

Pay was okay, and ability to be creative with merchandise

Cons

Management does not care about their employees but only about the dollar signs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

4. "So so"

Former Employee - Catalog in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Catalog in Orlando, FL

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, non management co workers tend to be more of a friendship and office parties

Cons

Not that much room for advancement and management looks down on employees while they pretend to be on your side

5. "Enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

Pros

Fun and enjoyable place to work.

Cons

Getting credit applications on a daily basis.

6. "Good part-time gig"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

JCPenney has been a fun place to work. Other associates tend to be very friendly, management recognizes you, and everyone seems motivated to help the company succeed.

Cons

There are some issues with the store's scheduling. On some days we are way under-staffed, while others we have too many associates and not enough customers.

Advice to Management

I think scheduling of hours in each department should be handled by the leaders on duty, and approved by the manager. This would probably make scheduling much smoother.

7. "Sales Assoc"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interaction with people. 401 k . Marketing knowledge. 25% employee discount.

Cons

No communication, changes are constant without letting employees know. Thus creating many errors. Slow registers, they are bogging down.

Advice to Management

When any changes are made, your first thought should be, who needs to know and make everyone aware.

8. "associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

none, at least none that comes to mind

Cons

lower pay than the majority of other retail stores

Advice to Management

pay your good employees what they deserve

9. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at J. C. Penney (More than a year)

Pros

PTO is awarded for experience and time in industry. Employee discounts

Cons

Just about everything else...WORST team I was ever apart of. salary is poor, benefits are lousy, this is a company rebounding from a CEO who nearly bankrupted the company and it would seem that they care only about the bottom line and wall street short term, They care little for employees and culture cutting payroll and cost cutting measures to stay ahead yet waste money in so many other ways, remodels, continuously, changing store layout with poor processes and enormous disconnects between corporate and the stores. Money is truly wasted and unaccounted for in shrink and changing processes while the need is on training improving the culture and getting the right people on the bus, and they hire bodies and expect miracles, while using an antiquated POS system that delays the time at check out and actually makes it hard to take the customers money, pretty bad as they layer in systems...Disconnect between store and district management who seem to only care about store visits and looking good for those visits and freak out if they think someone hire up might show up. They care little for store issues and only care about their agenda. The is a serious lack of accountability as once an employee gets hired good luck getting ride of them unless they do something really stupid like steal other then that they are week identifying and holding a team accountable to a standard and HR provides little to no support in the coaching and corrective action process. Example- employees are supposed to me warned and let go with 12-14 attendance points and there are people showing up with 18 to 35 point and it all depends are who you are and what you do there is accountability for poor performance and that will hire anyone...then you are thrown to the wolves with little to no training. I have worked for other big and small box retailers and honestly JCP is the worst and if this John Cash Penny's legacy I feel bad because most of what is going one goes against his principles and philosophies, this is who we say we are and this is who we actually are they are diluted. Also, if you plan on middle management plan to spend at least a year or two in 3-4 different positions while you rotate to different store on the road for your own store, 4-6 years min, and then there is a line and its political....overall good luck your gonna need it!

Advice to Management

Where do I begin, how about with the long line of disconnects and poor strategic planning, training, and OMG culture...non--transformational

10. "A company that knows what employees want"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They compensate very well even based in minimal experience. The management has an open door policy you can come in and talk to them whenever necessary. Everyone who works there builds relationships together. Employee holiday parties, giveaways, and contests were always fun.

Cons

It's retail so expect to be on you feet with minimal break time. Holiday season is grueling and you will be in the store sometimes even an hour or an hour and a half after closing or when your shift should have ended.

Advice to Management

The supervisors and area managers are not the best. There was once a man who had a heart attack while I was working and only two weeks into the job. I radioed my area manager for assistance because it didn't seem like a heart attack at first but it turned into one my manager turned off her radio while at a unsolicited break and came after everything happened and when upper management came to check on everyone and cease the situation the area manager blamed everything on me be cause she knew that I was a new hire and still in training and she would have gotten in trouble if the truth was told. This same person is the reason why I decided to leave the company after the season because she was very rude and treated the emoloyees like dirt but no one ever complained because we all need to make a living and upper management would not believe new hires over someone who has been there for years but I wasn't going to stand for it anymore and had no choice but to leave the first job I had really enjoyed.

Showing 18 of 5,577 reviews