J. C. Penney Reviews
54% would recommend to a friend
(12262 total reviews)
69% approve of CEO
Found 12,262 of over 13K reviews
Updated Nov 30, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What people are saying about J. C. Penney
Got a burning question about J. C. Penney? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with J. C. Penney employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "The people I work with are great and I love the customers for the most part." (in 711 reviews)
- "My coworkers were great to work alongside and I was always able to receive help when needed." (in 498 reviews)
- "The hours are flexible and is good for a part time or a first time job." (in 447 reviews)
- "At the I worked there the benefits were good and made a lot of friends." (in 362 reviews)
- "Flexible schedule and a fair associate discount" (in 247 reviews)
- "Pay was low and I never felt special or meaningful" (in 862 reviews)
- "Poor management To many associates that don't actually work and spend time on their cell phones..." (in 851 reviews)
- "Managers are rude and expect you to suck it up and deal with it since they have the power." (in 448 reviews)
- "No training on products they expect you to sell ( you have to learn on your own)." (in 197 reviews)
- "Hours fluctuate wildly making it hard to keep employees working full time.there is no work life balance." (in 152 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of J. C. Penney and is not affected by filters.
- 5.0Nov 21, 2023Sales AssociateFormer Employee, less than 1 yearVancouver, WA
Friendly and well organized, great employee discounts.
long shifts, closing shift would leave duties undone for next day opening shift.
- 4.0Nov 26, 2023AssociateCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearEl Cajon, CA
Everyone makes it an easy place to work.
Shifts can be very boring at times making it seem as nothing is happening.
- 4.0Nov 23, 2023Retail Sales AssociateFormer EmployeeDecatur, GA
Good environment. Not a busy location. Good side job with school
Low pay, but fine for a part time job
- 4.0Aug 2, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearCookeville, TN
Management is amazing. They work with us to get the hours we need. Everyone is kind and helpful.
Not a living wage. Hours are cut when they haven't made enough money for the day, you're sent home early.
- 5.0Aug 23, 2023Senior Talent Acquisition ManagerCurrent EmployeePlano, TX
Overall, I've had a positive experience working at JCPenney. The company culture is friendly and supportive, and I've made some great friends here. I also appreciate the flexible working environment and the opportunity to learn new skills. Here are some of the things I like best about working at JCPenney: The people. I've met some amazing people at JCPenney, both my coworkers and customers. I love working with a team of people who are passionate about delivering value to our core customer. The training. I've received great training at JCPenney, both on the job and through formal training programs. This has helped me develop my skills and knowledge, and it's given me the confidence to succeed in my role. The opportunities. JCPenney offers a lot of opportunities for growth and development. I've been able to take on new challenges and learn new skills throughout my time here.
The workload. Sometimes the workload can be heavy, especially during busy seasons. It can be challenging to meet all of the demands of the job while still delivering strong results.1
- 5.0Nov 20, 2023Asset Protection ManagerCurrent Employee
Great leadership to learn from with the company!
Technology and progressive thinking. Competitors have several advantages over JCPenney.
J. C. Penney Reviews FAQs
J. C. Penney has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 12,557 reviews left anonymously by employees. 54% of employees would recommend working at J. C. Penney to a friend and 41% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
54% of J. C. Penney employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated J. C. Penney 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.