J. C. Penney Reviews | Glassdoor

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Marvin Ellison
Marvin Ellison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The worst thing about it is that all they care about is credit card applications (in 308 reviews)

• Depending on the manager but not too good work life balance (in 131 reviews)

1. "Management was trash"

Pros

no pros, the store was horrid

Cons

way too many to list

Advice to Management

Start treating everyone the same.

2. "Petty, Small-Minded Management Team (most of them, anyway!)"

Former Employee - Major Appliances Department Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Major Appliances Department Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful associates-enjoyed helping customers, as well! Also pay was very competitive

Cons

Petty, Small-Minded Management Team (most of them, anyway!) This caused constant tension and unnecessary stress...

Advice to Management

When you hire someone specifically for their knowledge and expertise about a particular field, don't make things more difficult than necessary by questioning and fighting with them about the things that they request in order to help maximize sales!

3. "Corporate Relations"

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time

Pros

Good schedule, friends, nice break room

Cons

Customers being rude, associates two faced

"Terrible terrible terrible!"

Current Employee - .com in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - .com in Dayton, OH

I have been working at J. C. Penney full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were great, except for some of the managers!
    The benefits offered were good.
    Employee discount was good.

Cons

Not enough training to do my job.
    Understaffed and excepted me to do the job of three people.
    Work/life balance.... there is none!
    Thrown out into the job with three days training working 50 hours in five days.
    Not enough people in each department.
    Lack of organization.

Advice to Management

I understand your goal is to sell credit cards. But do not get mad at employees when they are genuinely trying. It comes off as extremely greedy and it seems as if you put the worth of a card over the worth of your employee.
    Give more than three days of training before expecting the person to have a close what they are doing. Don't expect a NEW person to be able to smoothly run a whole department without proper training!
    You lose good people because you over work them. Where is the balance?
    Make sure your managers, A couple of them in particular, understand the kind approach to things. Do not get upset at the employees for a store error!
    You need a new management, supervisors, all together.

I have only held two jobs my entire life. Both with the span of 4-5 years each. I have NEVER walked out on a job until I worked here. It was incredibly hectic.

5. "This location is eventually going to be shut down"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Novi, MI

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount is good and it also works any jcp sephora too.
    All the sales associates stick together despite management

Cons

They only put one person in fitting rooms when there are piles of clothes on top of clothes and they don't tell you what happens to the clothes customers have left bodily fluids on.
    Management talks about the employees and even one another during the job.
    Your credit applications determine your hours and if management doesn't yell at you.
    Constantly have to watch your paycheck and hours or they'll keep money from you and pretend not to know what the problem is especially the operations store manager.

Advice to Management

Maybe actually listening to some of your employees ideas may save your desperate failing store before you're all looking for new jobs again.

6. "Good Company? Bad local store?"

Current Employee - Jewelry Sales Associate in Corbin, KY
    Current Employee - Jewelry Sales Associate in Corbin, KY

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The JCPenney Company seems to be a good company to work for. They care about their employees and have a great diversity program.

Cons

I believe I work at the crappiest JCPenney store known to man. The Corbin, KY JCPenney store does not care about its employees in the least little bit. I have worked at this store for over 3 years, and been nothing but a model employee. Dedicating practically my life to them. I am a part time employee who will work any time I am needed. At this store, management has it out for employees. If you call in sick one day in a year long period, your hours will be cut to little to almost nothing. If you are a generally good employee, get ready to have every single little thing you do get picked apart piece by piece. But employees who never do anything daily are praised for doing their daily work, once.
    This is also not a company/local store to work for if you are looking to build a career. I have been passed up time after time again for positions that I am way over qualified for. The management will tell me that he believes that I am the one for the position, interview me, and then hire someone else. This has happened multiple times. He continues to tell me that he believes I have what it takes and he wants to place me into positions and wants whats best for me. But continues to over look me. I am also sure than I am being overlooked because of my age. Which is discrimination.

Advice to Management

Management should be switched. The management at this store is immature and not fit for the jobs. Management should learn to separate feelings from work.

7. "Customer Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Monroeville, PA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

While employed at JC Penney, I had the opportunity to work with a number of wonderful people, who became good friends.

Cons

Availability of hours, and ongoing employment, dependent upon willingness to solicit, and ability to secure, a minimum number of credit applications. Actual Overall Rating is ZERO Stars.

Advice to Management

Due to the lack of a dress code, customers had difficulty identifying managers and other supervisory personnel; there were no suits/ties, dresses, or pantsuits.

8. "Appliance specialist"

Former Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Alton, IL
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales Specialist in Alton, IL

I worked at J. C. Penney (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co workers, great management

Cons

Pay is far to low for this department, 25 hours is the max corporate wants employee to work, lack luster training ( it's seems like they are will to put anyone in this department just to have warm bodies around) , district management was a joke , sever lack of advertising on tv, online , and on radio. Management want to blame the department employees for poor sales and customer problems. Sign prices were almost always different than in store signage.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about shirts and skirts. Take this department seriously because it could make or break your company. Pay your employees what they are worth. Advertising can only help you in the long run if you mean to challenge the other big box appliance retailers.

9. "Do not recommend JCP to anyone"

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at J. C. Penney full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None whatsoever as in total 0 zero and none

Cons

Sweatshop and jobs are going to India all the time

Advice to Management

Stop moving jobs to India! Not worth it.

"The worst job I've ever had in my life they are understaffed and don't give you any breaks I've never received one."

Pros

You get a discount that's decent if you can afford to buy anything there because they might give you 10 hours even though I was promised 25 hours

Cons

Extremely and I mean extremely understaffed no breaks they're frowned upon and low pay

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect give them their breaks they shouldn't have to call management to have to go to the bathroom and give more hours !

Showing 684 of 5,738 reviews