J. C. Penney Reviews | Glassdoor

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Marvin Ellison
Marvin Ellison

5,512 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • The worst thing about it is that all they care about is credit card applications (in 300 reviews)

• Work/life balance is nonexistent (in 125 reviews)

1. "Strong Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Pros

The company is a survivor and makes smart and courageous business decisions. IT leadership is undergoing a transformation; focusing on performance and results by identifying and aggressively attacking top priorities & business opportunities.

Cons

Retail is a tough cyclical business and these are the "bad times" (now in 2008); so there is some degree of uncertainty about the future. Fortunately I have faith we will pull through it without "cutting into the meat" and emerge as a stronger competitor.

Advice to Management

Once this recession is over, continue to cut the cost of healthcare to associates while improving the services. Also continue to differentiate performance through pay and incentives.

"One Big Happy JCPenney Family"

Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Plano, TX

Pros

The overall morale at JCP is amazing. We have a great time here and we celebrate everything. We are one big happy JCP family.

Cons

We could have more choices in regards to medical coverage, but it's still good.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "Fun place, Fair Pay, Great Management!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Escanaba, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Escanaba, MI

Pros

I love working with clothes so it makes the job really fun. The pay is pretty good compared to other jobs I've had, and managers are always really nice. The store I worked in, and the one I work in now seem to stay fairly busy which makes your shift go by so much faster.

Cons

You feel under pressure all the time to get charge apps, or catalog referrels. If they wouldn't be paying the CEO's so much money, they wouldn't be running themselves so tight. One downfall to retail is that you're always cleaning up after messy shoppers, I don't particulary care for cleaning up other peoples messes.

Advice to Management

Don't ever cut back on your employees wages, that'll just make the company go downhill. Remember without your sales associates..us little people on the bottom of the totem pole...customers wouldn't keep coming back!

4. "If you want a rewarding job, then work at JC Penneys."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling Heights, MI

Pros

The best reasons to work at JC Penney is the people you work with. They are all so nice and fun to be around. It is also nice to help the customers, some are not so great but most are just fine. I make a decent paycheck, I would like to work myself up to management so that I can make even more, though.

Cons

The worst part of working at JC Penney's is when I'm assigned to the dressing rooms. People can be so very messy, they don't even bother hanging up the clothes that they tried on and they definitely don't bring them out.

Advice to Management

Please listen to the employee's, we know what problems need to be addressed. Don't make changes until you find out from the rest of the group if that is the best thing to do.

"Teamwork"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Visalia, CA

Pros

The JCP that I work at has a great senior management staff. They are extremely helpful and supportive. They always make you feel welcome, and provide you with great training. Their number one focus is customer first. There are many incentives to do well. They will give you immediate positive feedback if you are doing well. They discipline in a way that is very curteous to its employees and keep it a private matter so as not to embaress anyone. They are also very professional. Most of the people that work there are very friendly, and what you would call people persons. I love it. It feels like we are a team, especially in your own department. Very close. There is a good associate discount and great sales. You are able to buy things for the whole family at extremely reasonable prices.

Cons

As with any job in retail, customer service can be taxing on you when you have unappreciative customers who are rude and leave the place a mess so that other customers complain about it. Most of the time customers are very nice and thankful. Again, as with most retail jobs, the pay is going to be low and you are going to have to start at the bottom and work your way up from there. As a young mother and wife, the variable hours take a toll. It is hard to do a lot of closing shifts, and working around what daycare requires, school and trying to give time to my family is difficult when having to work nights and weekends. Most of the time the managers and supervisors will work with you to help you get what you need, as well as your fellow employees. I find that for myself I want more of an intellectual challenge sometimes. After you spend all day cleaning or putting out merchandise it seems like you have done nothing all day because it is immediately messed up and something you have to do the same thing again the next day. However the people you work with make it bearable.

Advice to Management

I would say that they are a doing a good job in making the customer service employees feel like a valuable part of the company since they are the face and image of the company. They are the ones that will either drive people away or bring them back.

6. "Great company, awesome discounts,"

Pros

JCPenney offers a great discount to its associates, many opportunities for advancement, training, and an overall sense of freidnship amongst coworkers. There is always someone to help you with questions and they are great in working with you and your schedule.

Cons

There are always going to be those lazy workers, and theres a heavy emphasis on credit appliations. Benefits can be good, and they are decent with pay, but overall you are asked to do a lot.

Advice to Management

Continue jiving with modern trends in all departments. COntinue praising associates for hard work and growing as a company overall.

"Great Place to Work!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Pros

Very positive and would recommend JCPenney as a place of employment to anyone. Great place to work. They promote growth and continued education to strenghthen competencies.

Cons

JCPenney work life balance has drastically deminished over the last year. It was been an extremely challenging environment. Hirng more employees would alleviate the stress and restore the normal work life balance.

Advice to Management

Doing a wonderful job. However opportunity to continue to hire to soften the heavy worload on employees, he work life balance has dissappeared over the last 14 months.

8. "If you're looking for a fun work envinronment with a lot of flexibility, this company is for you!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

In my experience JC Penney has been very flexible with work schedules, making it a great job for me while I attend college. They are also usually understanding about days you need off, as long as you ask in advance. Of all the places I have worked, the management team at JC Penney is the most respectful, supportive and encouraging. The management team is good at communicating changes in policy, as well as telling associates about all sales and special promotions. Employees are rewarded for good customer service and being team players. The discount on clothes is great (20%) plus you can use it in addition to other sales/cupons.

Cons

In my opinion, management spends too much time pushing employees to get credit card applications, especially during times when there are not many incentives for a customer to get a credit card. This gets rather irritating after awhile-even if you try to promote credit cards every day, you will not necessarily make your goal. While associates are rewarded for making credit goals, you do not usually get into a lot of trouble for not making them. The starting pay is not good, and raises are minimal and rare. Overall, though, I think this is a great position for people who need flexible hours; such as students, parents of young kids, and those who need a second job for extra income. I would not reccomend this position for those seeking full-time work, unless you will be working on commission.

Advice to Management

No improvements needed-great job. The only thing I would ask for is better pay!

"Makine a difference one customer at a time"

Former Employee - Catalog/Customer Service in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Catalog/Customer Service in Orlando, FL

Pros

jCpenney management was easy to work with. Flexible scheduling allowed me more time with my family

Cons

Some of the customers were not the friendliest to work with. Even though I tried to exhibit the best customer skills possible, sometimes nthing could satisfy them.

Advice to Management

great job speaking with your employees, not at them.

10. "I love JCP!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in York, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in York, PA

Pros

I feel like my coworkers are my family. My supervisors ALWAYS work with me to make whatever accommodations are necessary (scheduling, etc.)

Cons

You don't earn Paid Time Off (My Time Off) until you have been working at the store for a complete year at 30 hours a week or more (It may be 35). If you miss a day because you're sick and you only get 25 hours or whatever for the week, you have to start counting your year all over again.

Advice to Management

Applications should be available online. I am attending college four states away from my store/home. When I am home for breaks, I work here. I need to be able to apply for the job before I go home for break, but I don't have transportation here to get to the nearest mall. It would be much more convenient to offer the application online.

Showing 5,512 of 5,578 reviews