J. C. Penney Support Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

J. C. Penney Chief Executive Officer Marvin Ellison
Marvin Ellison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The worst thing about it is that all they care about is credit card applications (in 325 reviews)

• Depending on the manager but not too good work life balance (in 139 reviews)

1. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Buffalo, NY

I worked at J. C. Penney (More than a year)

Pros

Worked around my college schedule, very understanding when I had to miss games for my rugby season or other life events important to my future career.

Cons

No real cons, this job was always reasonable with expectations and I felt as if the work I did was appreciated by management. No complaints

Advice to Management

I think what really kept me motivated in this position was the responsiveness of my upper management. I enjoyed working with my support supervisors and them allowing me to take on a really flexable schedule during the school year made it possible for me to work a job, play competitive rugby, and attend college.

"Store support"

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Dardenne, MO
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Dardenne, MO

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time

Pros

I like working with my co-workers and the interaction with the customers.

Cons

As this is a part-time job, everyones hours get cut according to sales numbers. Management hires too many employees to work a 20 hour work week. The pay is less than perfect for the amount of work you are expected to get done on any given day.

Advice to Management

You should respect the fact that you have good employees, so that you can keep them and stop having such a high turn-over rate.

3. "Customer support specialist"

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Orange Park, FL
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Orange Park, FL

I have been working at J. C. Penney (Less than a year)

Pros

Early hours, can wear tennis shoes,

Cons

Constant schedule switching, unorganized, no communication, short staffed/over worked

Advice to Management

Needs to get organized, hire more people, stick to a set schedule

4. "Disappointed"

Current Employee - Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Support Specialist

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time

Pros

Only one....Discounts! Customers are okay.

Cons

I started in march 2016. Job posting was listed as full time. During interview it was mentioned that 32 hours per week is full time. I work crappy shifts (11-7, 10-6), 6 days in a row sometime 7 and put in 30 -38 hours each week.
    During open enrollment I did not qualify for medical. After some research I learned that I am part time status. JCPenney has found the loophole. I work full time hours and do not qualify for many of the benefits.
    Also, the company allots time for processing shipments. If this is not achieved & often is not, the management will stomp all over you. So prepare to be chewed out for working hard, sweating in the summer months & freezing in winter. The stock room does not have AC or heat ducts.

Advice to Management

Be realistic about processing shipments. Open your eyes and look into high turnover in your stores.

5. "Decent Part-Time Work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Support/Service Specialist in Newport News, VA

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work, nothing to stressful. Just your ordinary, part-time, retail work environment. Easy money and something I would suggest to a college student.

Cons

Management does not really care about the employees. Easily seen that they know they will not have much employee retention with their part-time employees

"good and bad, a real mixed bag"

Current Employee - Cash Handling Support Specialist in Pawtucket, RI
    Current Employee - Cash Handling Support Specialist in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at J. C. Penney (More than 10 years)

Pros

the company pays well for retail. It also has good vacation benefits and generous time off policies for most employees.

Cons

the company poorly follows state laws. The communication between staff and management is poor and creates many problems. the company treats all employees as easily replaceable and devalues experience and skills. It is constantly trying to cut the number of employees with benefits

Advice to Management

listen to your employees. Inform them about everything all the time. you can not give your employees to much information. Follow state laws before you get hit with big fines and lawsuits.

7. "Bad Supervisors"

Former Employee - Support Specialist
    Former Employee - Support Specialist

Pros

I enjoyed the freedom I had as a support specialist. I never felt like any of the supervisors or bosses were breathing down my neck too much.

Cons

Never really felt appreciated. I was hired for a second summer in a row, with the company knowing I was temporary since I was in college, and I was upfront from the moment I got a call back about the fact that I had a pre-planned family vacation coming up. Yet, the head of my particular JcPenney store still called me into her office to grill me about the time off I wanted to take and even had me explain where I was going and why. She was beyond rude and I knew I'd never work for this company again after that moment.

Advice to Management

Your employees keep your company going. Treat them with respect.

8. "Ok to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at J. C. Penney part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got along well with my co-workers and manager.

Cons

Too much work to do for almost minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers what they are worth...

9. "Sales support specialist"

Former Employee - Work Experience Sales Support Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Work Experience Sales Support Specialist in Columbus, OH

Pros

They are flexible with scheduling

Cons

Having Work weekends and holidays

10. "Signing Specialist/Support"

Current Employee - Signing Specialist/Support in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Signing Specialist/Support in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at J. C. Penney part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedules, Enthusiastic environment, Good environment to lear and to grow

Cons

Not too many hours to work