J.D. Power Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
J.D. Power President Finbarr O'Neill
Finbarr O'Neill

Pros
  • Good work-life balance if you are on the right project (in 8 reviews)

• Great working environment, positive employees, plenty of opportunities to grow and learn (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • 1 Senior management people are lack of version for the company (in 8 reviews)

• Company been sold again and no one really knows what is going on (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company"

Former Employee - Research Intern in Westlake Village, CA
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Westlake Village, CA

I worked at J.D. Power (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people. As an intern, I was granted tons of autonomy in getting work done. My managers coworkers trusted me with important projects.

Cons

Work can get monotonous. Lots of Microsoft Excel. Definitely takes a certain type of person.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Great communication. I felt extremely valued as a intern, which can be hard to come across these days since interns have earned a reputation for doing all of the "grunt work."

2. "Satisfaction Award"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at J.D. Power (More than 5 years)

Pros

A very positive working environment.

Cons

I cannot think of any.

3. "Good Company to get on your resume."

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Westlake Village, CA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at J.D. Power full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are very nice.

Cons

Company been sold again and no one really knows what is going on. No much communication.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more visible and have better communication.

"Needs innovation"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst, Automotive in Westlake Village, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst, Automotive in Westlake Village, CA

I worked at J.D. Power full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience in a little over a year at JD Power was that pretty much everyone I met or worked with was friendly. With their move into their new office space in late 2014, the atmosphere became even more congenial as the space was designed to encourage this. JD Power has a few groups you can join such as a Women's Networking group and Toastmasters. It can take a bit of effort to meet people and get involved, but the effort is worth it. Another Pro was that the JD Power company name and brand had a strong reputation. Although I found the culture and executives more traditional than was a fit for me, I did respect the leadership and felt like they acted with integrity.

Cons

For me, the culture felt very traditional. It seemed like there were some new hires in Senior leadership that wanted to drive innovation and recognized a need to improve the culture, but change is often slow with big, mature companies. Although people were personally nice, I often felt like I was working in a white collar factory among the walking dead. It felt largely like people were just there because it was comfortable and to get a paycheck. I didn't sense a lot of passion or excitement about the work. I would recommend JD Power to graduates looking to gain experience and to those who are not necessarily looking to advance their careers, but want a steady job at a respected company in this industry (and live close enough to the office that it's a good lifestyle choice to work there).

Advice to Management

I think JD Power is a great place for someone to work early in their career and gain solid experience. I think a rotation program could be created that would allow associates to work in several departments over a period of time. This would result in a more flexible workforce (with employees trained on multiple studies and business units, an agile workflow could be used to balance fluctuations in workload across the business), an increase in retained talent as associates would be more engaged and feel they were developing more professionally, overall better results for clients as associates work cross-functionally, learn from a wider group of people and therefore develop better skills. Whether this specific idea would work or not, the intent behind the recommendation is for management to recognize the need for greater employee engagement and to be open-minded in how to achieve it. Look to younger companies for solutions - they are who you are competing with - and they are not burdened by "tradition."

6. "Great for a long term career path"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at J.D. Power full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn the entire process of a market research organization. Great benefits, awesone management, good career path.

Cons

This is a market research organization and not a technology org.

"Four years in"

Current Employee - Research Supervisor in Westlake Village, CA
    Current Employee - Research Supervisor in Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at J.D. Power full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment, positive employees, plenty of opportunities to grow and learn. My supervisor encourages me to seek opportunities for growth within the organization.

Cons

The salaries are on the low side and opportunities for more monetary compensation are limited. Many employees leave the organization only to return at a higher salary.

Advice to Management

When teams are working every moment to get their daily work done there is limited opportunity for innovation. Individuals who do the day-to-day work have the best insights into what can make the organization more effective and efficient, but they need the time to reflect on what they're doing.

"Disconnect between teams"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at J.D. Power full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of really intelligent people. Great location and office.

Cons

Disconnect between the teams. Transparency also an issue. Lots of rumors as to company direction and intentions

Advice to Management

Transparency

"The pros and cons"

Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great client list; brand name opens doors with clients, working internally with some smart people, working independently if working in home office

Cons

Old boy network rules, making it difficult for women to move up the ladder; slow internal processes in place which makes it difficult to get new products and ideas through the approval process;

Advice to Management

Raise the stakes in client service...too often the pace within the walls of J.D. Power is too slow to respond to clients' needs. Communications with Executive Management needs to be more open to all employees rather than just through direct reports.

10. "Comfortable"

Current Employee - Research Supervisor in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Research Supervisor in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Comfortable, safe, easy, impossible to get fired. The people are very "nice".

Cons

Performance has no reflection in promotions and merit increases

"Hell for Contract Employees"

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Nothing for JD power testing team.

Cons

They hired me by taking an interview but then after one week they asked me to leave without any reason.
    Salary is low as 15$ per hour for contract employee.
    They are pretty much not sure what they want.
    They can fire anytime if they get more experienced person.
    No value for existing employee.

Advice to Management

Dont play with the employees future. If you are not sure about the employee dont hire. And if you hire give a good reason to fire. We have to take lot of efforts to join some company.

If you are not sure how to make the employee work quit job as a manager and director.