J D Wetherspoon Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
J D Wetherspoon CEO and Director John Hutson
John Hutson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The pay was good and the discount on food was useful whilst working" (in 51 reviews)

• "Best staff benefits I've ever recieved (50% off food whilst working)" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (have done up to 12 hour shifts before)" (in 114 reviews)

• "They reduced the hours in the contract to improve work life balance but in reality you are always there longer than your rotary" (in 34 reviews)

"Business Manager"

Pros

Great work and co-workers. Challenging, but satisfying way to grow professionally . This job will stretch you! I enjoy the work but wait for the cons.

Cons

Management lack of people skills. Although good business acumen, management treats employees like crap. No coaching skills at all.. many have moved on because of treatment.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.

"Horrendous"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Wakefield, MA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Wakefield, MA

I worked at J D Wetherspoon (More than a year)

Pros

Gained friendships.
    Money off food on shift.
    You're always busy..

Cons

Zero hours contract so one week I could earn an amazing amount and the next be so broke I can't afford transport to and from work.
    Taxis as I did a lot of late shifts.
    Management allow bullying to take place.
    Management are supposed to back you up if someone is drunk or rude etc.. but in my experience they haven't done this at all.
    Promised the world promotion wise and they gave someone else the job that was lined up for me.
    Made me do kitchen training when it wasn't needed or even noted down.
    Expect to be spoken to like rubbish from customers, staff members and management.
    Very long shifts if staff decide to not turn up or get drunk the night before (this happens ALOT)

Advice to Management

I wouldn't even bother giving advice it's that much of a joke.

Apr 18, 2016 – Recruitment & Training Systems Manager

Thank you for your comments, we will pass your all of them on for further discussion and investigation. Just to pick up on your feedback around hours, we do not work with zero hour contracts at all... More

3. "Good summer job"

Former Employee - Bar Associate in Portsmouth, VA
    Former Employee - Bar Associate in Portsmouth, VA

I worked at J D Wetherspoon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was a good summer job where you meet lots of people in a fast paced environment. Training was good with very friendly staff. Getting paid weekly is also good along with discounted food.

Cons

The pay was poor and it was difficult changing around shifts. Dealing with drunk people is hard work and can get exhausting.

Advice to Management

Increase pay, especially on bank holidays and holidays. More flexibility with shifts and improving the mystery customer set up .

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Bar Associate in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Bar Associate in Newcastle, England (UK)

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work with a variety of people, very student based job (young work force). I've worked in 3 different pubs inc a Lloyds. Consistent and continual training opportunities. Great chances at promotion. Managers are generally nice. Hours fit in nicely with other jobs or study. It's easy to transfer to other locations and keep the job.

Cons

You may not always get the hours you want (too little) which is ridiculous because they seem to always hire new staff. Shifts can be really short (3.5hrs which is pointless) or they can be really long (9hrs) - doesnt't seem to be that bad (but you'll be on your feet for the majority of it).

Dec 11, 2018 – Website Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Your feedback will be discussed in our weekly meetings, and I would encourage you to speak directly to your manager if you think there are... More

5. "Hours"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free management feeding on clock
    20% off food + drink off clock
    Good bonus and training a chemes
    Fast progression

Cons

Often working over rota hours
    Always seem understaffed / high staff turnover

Advice to Management

Increase the off duty discount of 20% and reduce the price of on duty staff drinks. Many other companies offer better discount rates - if not free drinks for staff!

Area managers to come in occasionally and work at pub level to really understand what it’s like trying to manage shifts within their parameters (I know head office used to do this)

Dec 11, 2018 – Website Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We will discuss your feedback in this week's meetings. I would recommend speaking directly to your pub or area manager if you think there are... More

6. "Good pay for easy job"

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time

Pros

Easy access to promotion
    Fast paced environment

Cons

Customers are rude most of the time

Dec 4, 2018 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

7. "Shift Manager"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at J D Wetherspoon (More than a year)

Pros

Great and amazing place to work, no doubt

Cons

Would prefer a higher paid job

Dec 4, 2018 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

"Hours!"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career progression
    Discounts on and off shifts, management fed on shift
    Online training (although some of the modules are rubbish and take too long)
    Students can transfer relatively easily during term/holiday time

Cons

Every time there is a pay increase there is an overall hours decrease so you get paid more an hour but have to work even harder as there are less staff
    Seems like somebody is constantly off sick and a shift needs covering
    Constant pressure to maintain high standards with not enough staff to physically achieve them

Advice to Management

Base available hours for pubs on the amount of physical time needed to actually do the job to a high standard, not allocate an amount you want to spend on wages and spread out by number of hours that adds up to. Certain tasks take a set amount of time (cleaning lines, cleaning tables, counting money, then there's serving drinks, pouring a pint takes 15 seconds) People setting the budgets should actually try doing the job and calculate things like how many drinks can be served an hour and then allot hours based on time required to perform tasks, some of the drinks are so cheap that there cant be much margin on them and that means that by paying someone to actually make them you're pushing a loss unless they start rushing which then causes mistakes Bar staff have to serve customers within 2 minute, and iOrders have to reach tables within 5 minutes, often you can only afford 2 bar staff so if there is a rush this is impossible to meet. Floor staff have to ensure all food leaves the gantry within 60 seconds, checkbacks performed within 2 minutes, and tables cleared within 5 minutes of finishing eating, plus toilet checks on the hour, seems reasonable until budgeting only allows one person on the floor even when busy and you have 50+ tables to attend to and some are at least 30 seconds away from the kitchen. the higher ups constantly state floor standards aren't high enough, I think if they tried covering the same shift the floor would be just as bad if not worse!

Nov 28, 2018 – Senior Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback will be discussed in our weekly meetings, and I would encourage you to give feedback directly to your manager if you think there are... More

9. "Paying for the chairmans bus"

Current Employee - Shift Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is fair. Company tries to deliver the "associate promise" to ensure fair treatment of all staff. Training is very good. Especially at management level.

Cons

HO management don't seem to understand what it's like in pubs. They do everything in their power to make it harder for pub management to run pubs. Rather than upping the prices to foot the bill of higher hourly rates, they cut hours and make it harder to run the pub efficiently. All money seems to be spent on brexit paraphernalia and staff get the stick from customers for it.

Advice to Management

Tim needs to stop riding round on busses trying to be a politician and think about making the management's jobs easier. Or pay the managers some over time!

"Bar Staff"

Current Employee - Bar Staff in Cheadle, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Bar Staff in Cheadle, West Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at J D Wetherspoon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts, All non-management staff are brill, bonus are nice,

Cons

Given the worst shifts for a social life to fit round uni, and nothing you can do about it
    when other staff on the same leave can have all the nice 9-5 just because they been there longer

Advice to Management

Be more fair

Nov 28, 2018 – Senior Recruitment Advisor