J. Jill Group Assistant Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Assistant Manager

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paula Bennett

Pros
  • Great Company, Great people, work life balance, friendly environment (in 13 reviews)

• This was a great place to work if you enjoy retail (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Treated extremely poorly by almost all upper management (in 18 reviews)

• Rosters are done some times only 24 hour before the week starts, making it hard to find any sort of work life balance (in 7 reviews)

1. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Edison, NJ

I worked at J. Jill Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of nurturing and opportunities for growth.

Cons

As any other retail job, nights and weekends are a must.

2. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Novato, CA

I worked at J. Jill Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful clothes and nice visuals in stores.

Cons

Expensive until coupons and sales.

Advice to Management

Be fair when opening new stores to employees who earned it!

"Love my job!"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at J. Jill Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The corporate culture is like the clothing: uncomplicated, low-stress, comfortable. Great customer service focus, fun clothes. Company is performing very well, and it's easy most days to make our sales goals. Easy job, as a manager, you actually get to work on the floor helping customers instead of spending countless hours doing calling campaigns, endless conference calls, planning events to drive business, or constantly changing promotions, like my previous retail management experience. Pays very well, although no bonus or commission unless you are the store manager. This creates more of a team atmosphere, which the customers really appreciate. Very good benefits for full time employees.

Cons

It's a smaller company, so not as much opportunity to transfer or get promoted.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the computer systems, both the POS and back office systems.There's too much redundancy and not enough integration. Love the corporate culture of this company!

5. "great company"

I worked at J. Jill Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work schedule, one weekend off a month, 40% discount

Cons

District managers side with store management before even speaking with associates. A lot of down time

Advice to Management

Sometimes the management is the problem. Look at the turnover in certain stores

"No consistency. Lack of structure."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at J. Jill Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits. Mostly friendly staff.

Cons

When other managers came to visit it was clear that they ran their stores completely differently. Low pay. High turn around. Lack of communication. Lack of structure. Lack of training. Long term goals not communicated effectively.

Advice to Management

Create standards and enforce them across all stores. Re evaluate training on all levels. Listen to your customers! They are not happy!

"Technology Overhaul Desperately Needed"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Braintree, MA

I worked at J. Jill Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, very supportive staff, flexible schedule. Learn by doing. Great clothes, loyal JJILL customers who like to spend money.

Cons

Lack of clear communication from Corporate, changes are made abruptly without explanation. Lack of consistency. You're asked to constantly switch gears and juggle multiple tasks. Pay could definitely be better. Managers are pushed to monitor/cut hours, increase sales, and stay extra hours (w/o overtime pay).

Advice to Management

Spend some money to update/upgrade the systems used @ the stores. Dialing '9' to get an outside line? Reminds me of the '80's. Streamline your documents and reports. Get everyone on the same team! You need a dedicated IT Team to develop and upgrade software. Time is $ and it shouldn't take 5-6 steps to open a report.

"Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Richmond, VA

Pros

Enjoyed , for the most part, my fellow employees. Got a fair discount although it was better 10 years ago.

Cons

New computer scheduling system does not give much leeway

Advice to Management

Do a better job at looking out for your employees. Give better incentives

"Not for someone wanting more."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at J. Jill Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly nice staff, generally pleasant customer base, reasonable time off for holidays. Decent work life balance. Usually not much overtime expected.

Cons

Upper management is lost. District leaders are a constant revolving door and they always have an unpleasant agenda. Stores weren't performing well so raises were non existent. From the top down the company was pretty disenfranchised.

Advice to Management

Need more diversity. Stop blaming stores for poor marketing. Get a clue as to who brings in the money, i.e. the stores and treat the associates and managers better.

10. "Easy laid back job if you never want to move forwad in your career."

I worked at J. Jill Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is Decent pay.The job is easy and gives a great work/life balance considering most retail management jobs.

Cons

Would rather hire outside than promote internal. Had to fight to get interview for open SM position due to being on necessary medical leave. Decided to hire external because i didnt fit the "35 and up" profile of the typical clients. Although I opened the store from ground up had the largest client list in the store, ran floorsets , most credit accounts in district ,and did weekly reporting for entire distict I wasnt qualified... They also failed to notify me of this because they claimed they could not have contact with me during my medical leave. Constant fear of store closing. Closed 75 stores all without notice and quality of product was consistantly getting worse with high prices. You are required to wear their clothing and gets expensive to buy a new wardrobe every season.

Advice to Management

Recognize internal talent. Not everyone needs to meet a profile to be successful. I am currently a Store Manager of high volume, large corporation retail store and have been very successful. Top 1% of conpany last year.

11. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at J. Jill Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great selling environment you're able to work one on one with your customers.

Cons

Not getting all of shipment on time before floor set. Not normally scheduled over 35 hours a week. No bonuses except store manager.

Advice to Management

Make all full-time employees eligible to receive bonuses. Update our software so our computers don't run so slowly.