J. Jill Reviews in Quincy, MA | Glassdoor

Quincy, MA

3.3
Paula Bennett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Company, Great people, work life balance, friendly environment (in 15 reviews)

• This was a great place to work if you enjoy retail (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is all too often unaware of how their decisions effect POS (in 24 reviews)

• There are no incentives for opening credit cards yet they ride you to harass customers to open new (in 15 reviews)

1. "Internship Program"

Former Employee - Intern in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Quincy, MA

Pros

The internship program is very in depth, more advanced then any other internship I have heard of. It is coordinated very well. It includes shadow days to explore other parts of the company, learning sessions, group lunches and an intern project to present to the CEO.

Cons

Internship positions and expectations could be explained more clearly prior to start date.

"Poor HR Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA

I worked at J. Jill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Convenience location in Quincy.

2. On-site cafeteria.

3. Some groups (like Information Services) really does care for their employees.

4. Company is doing well in a slumping retail market.

5. Good co-workers

Cons

1. There is no flexibility in your work schedule. You are expected to be in the office from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm every day with no opportunities to work from home. Any time away from work will need to be taken from your accrued vacation or personal hours.

2. Lower level employees do not have the opportunity to work directly with other managers, including other HR leaders. All work is filtered through manager-level employees only. I was told that managers prefer to communicate with other managers. I never even got the change to meet everyone on the HR team, and there were less than 25 HR employees.

3. The HR organization does not interact with one another. There is no collaboration, but there is a large focus in putting a temporary band-aid on what's not working. I think this is largely due to the lack of functional experience of the HR leaders as some leaders do not have specific knowledge in their functional areas.

4. Be prepared for a ton of administrative work. There is nothing strategic about any of the HR roles. It's a lot of reactive vs. being proactive with very little opportunity for change or improvement.

5. Recommendations from lower-level professionals fall on deaf ears. I have made many recommendations and every time I brought it up, it was forgotten about. :)

6. No team meetings, including general HR meetings or individual team meetings. Everyone is completely in the dark about what's going on with our peers. Never any type of socialization among the HR group to encourage teamwork or camaraderie.

Advice to Management

HR in the 21st century is strategic and not administrative. J.Jill needs a new, forward thinking HR leader who cares about the employees.

3. "Merchandising Intern"

Current Intern - Merchading in Quincy, MA
    Current Intern - Merchading in Quincy, MA

I have been working at J. Jill as an intern

Pros

I interned at J.Jill Summer 2017 as a merchandising intern. I got great real work experience and felt that managers/mentors invested a lot into teaching me about the company and the overall buying process. The internship helped me to expand on my excel skills along with learning how to use other merchandising software. Overall this internship was amazing experience and I would recommend it to anyone who was looking for a merchandising/buying internship!

Cons

I didn't have any cons throughout my internship experience

4. "Financial Planning & Analysis Intern"

Current Intern - FP&A Intern in Quincy, MA
    Current Intern - FP&A Intern in Quincy, MA

I have been working at J. Jill as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment and people!

Cons

Not directly in Boston, so can be hard to get to.

5. "J.Jill Summer Internship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA

I worked at J. Jill (Less than a year)

Pros

-Gorgeous Corporate building with stunning views
    -Casual, inviting atmosphere
    -Merch, Design, Marketing, etc all in-house, so as an intern you get to learn about every aspect of the business (even if it isn't your direct focus)
    -Interns are given hands-on projects and field trips to really understand every level of the business

Cons

None to speak of, really--had a wonderful time working here!

"PROGRESS! We need more female executives in the world. This company exhibits many."

Former Employee - Compensation Consultant in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Compensation Consultant in Quincy, MA

I worked at J. Jill (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and Nice Location for Commuting

Cons

No Room for Growth or Career Advancement

Advice to Management

If you have die-hard employees who go above and beyond in their work ethic, don't pass them up so easily. There is way too much focus on form like which tab is green and which is blue, rather than focusing on the content of your materials and business outlook.

7. "Great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Creative in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Creative in Quincy, MA

I have been working at J. Jill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office culture and work/life balance, experienced & effective leadership, friendly and familial atmosphere, clear productivity expectations, fast-paced environment. An excellent place to work, overall.

Cons

Same as most large companies: too many layers of approval.

Advice to Management

Continue developing your talent + work toward stronger creative collaboration across departments/channels.

"Sr manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Quincy, MA

I worked at J. Jill full-time

Pros

Mid level manager strength,

Cons

VP and senior director micro management kills the ability to grow and function.

9. "Great place to go to work"

Former Employee - Digital in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Digital in Quincy, MA

I worked at J. Jill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to focus on your job, work/life balance, good hours, clear direction

Cons

Little say, many layers, too many cooks in the kitchen, company culture is bland.

Advice to Management

Keep things up, you're heading in the right direction

"Good on the outside, cracks on the inside..."

I worked at J. Jill full-time

Pros

It's a great brand with loyal customers. The clothes are designed here and there is a lot of creative talent. There are some loyal employees who have been here a long time and truly believe in the brand and product. Location is easy for the South Shore (not for the city) and office has decent views, and an outdoor deck. Free Keurig.

Cons

No room for advancement. People will leave and not be replaced for MONTHS, if at all- you will be expected to take on their work or shift jobs. Process is all over the place, depending on the mood of the executives- be ready to backtrack or completely scrap a project you work for weeks on. The review process to get things out the door is insane- so much micromanaging. They are known to relocate and turn around and fire people in months. Revolving door of freelancers. Pay is very below the market and each year you will get maybe a 1-2% raise, if you're lucky, while executives and managers get frequent bonuses. Big disconnect between execs and the people actually doing the work. A ton of interdepartmental tension- other departments will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat and you have to get written records of things (you will be asked to dig these up to cover your own department's butt, too). Some departments are favored and get special treatment. There is no company culture. Absolutely no incentive to stay here or feel valued as en employee. For great sales years, the company gives no bonuses to 'regular' employees- you get a cookie at the office christmas party (which doesn't even serve alcohol). You are judged for taking a lunch break or leaving on time. Toxic environment. Poor maternity leave policy- for a company filled with women, this is unacceptable.

Advice to Management

Make your employees feel valued. Give an incentive to be here- you are hemorrhaging talent. Make pay more competitive and give bonuses to everyone. Maybe plan an event or two to give some sense of a corporate culture. Serve alcohol at the christmas party.