J.P. Morgan Reviews in Ohio | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
J.P. Morgan Chairman, President, and CEO Jamie Dimon
Jamie Dimon

Cons

1. "Research Senior Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Research Specialist in Westerville, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Research Specialist in Westerville, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The friendships I made with some but that is about it!

Cons

Management does whatever they can to benefit themselves. When it comes down to doing the right thing for the customer or benefiting Chase you are told to do what helps Chase NOT the customer. This was one of the most negative environments I ever worked in. They eliminated my position and after being with them for 6years just let me go; didn't help with finding another job etc. The same with everyone else in my department.

2. "Mortgage Banker"

Former Employee - Mortgage Banker in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Mortgage Banker in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and training programs

Cons

Too much red tape. processing takes too long.

Advice to Management

quicker loan processing

3. "Very damanding and no appreciation"

Former Employee - Personal Banker - Small Business Specialist in Eastlake, OH
    Former Employee - Personal Banker - Small Business Specialist in Eastlake, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Chase as a company is a great place to work. Offer Great benefits and chase is a good company to work for other than retail banking.

Cons

Retail banking managers treat you like piece of dirt. They dont do anything and critize you for their work that they fail to do. Work more and not get compensated for.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the managers as they don't want to do anything. They complain to one another and collect their base salary

"Great job for grads. Not worth getting promoted."

Current Employee - Applications Developer Associate in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Applications Developer Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits (401k Match, 4 weeks vacation upon hiring, pension, etc)
    Competitive starting salary for new grads
    Generally receive a yearly bonus
    Co-workers - most are helpful and freindly
    Immense amounts of internal training available

Cons

Poor compensation policies -promotions don't guarantee raises and it's rare to get your salary reviewed = no reason to take on more responsibility. ADVICE: Negotiate your highest salary at hiring.
    Poor Performance review practices -still use forced ranking -objectives and feedback meetings are just checklist items for managers to complete
    **A lot of bureaucracy and it is getting worse
    "Controls" environment goes overboard and causes most development work to be more difficult and take longer than necessary.
    Risk teams often don't understand technology or how systems work together, complicating the development and maintenance of applications.
    Poor and disorganized project planning full of bureaucracy -causes tech debt to go unaddressed

Advice to Management

Stop trying to save money at the expense of the employees
    Pay your internal employees what they are worth especially if they are taking on more responsibility
    Have clear compensation policies rather than leaving it up to managers to play favorites
    Cut back on bureaucracy and consider the impacts when adding new responsibilities to teams
    Connect with the bottom line employees to understand how your wide brush stroke changes impact their daily lives. You may also learn where you can make changes to improve efficiency

"Culture needs a lot of work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Change is Constant so if you don't like a situation, it will change
    You can be mobile if you network for a year or two

Cons

Horrible new hire experience
    Conservative culture
    They do not trust their employees
    No Manager traning

Advice to Management

Do the opposite of Cons listed

7. "Honest"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits package and pension plan

Cons

Unfortunately your schedule choice is not based on seniority

Advice to Management

They need to pay attention to the tenure, integrity, quality of the people that have stayed employed with them and provide them the same by rewarding their hard work.

"Chase 2016..."

Former Employee - Vice President, Business Operations Manager in Westerville, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time

Pros

Was able to work at a job I loved for over 20 years, and progress to a senior management level.

Cons

The past year or two have been the worst in my over 20 year career. Upper level mgmt does not care about employees, only the regulators and compliance issues. As a senior level manager, there is way to promote or compensate staff to be at the level they deserve. Constant reorg of job titles, pay alignment and job grades has benefitted low level staff, but has almost penalized AVP and VP employees. Sr. managers are handcuffed by "do more with less" and it is hard to provide an environment that supports work/life balance that the corporation preaches about. Chase seems to have gotten too big. As it grew, the employees became less of a focus, which is a shame, because there are some pretty incredible employees in my former team.

The level of stress is overwhelming from the lowest level employee on up. The environment is hostile and has become a horrible place to work. No matter what you do, it is not enough. No matter how well your team does, they are expected to do more, with no additional support or compensation.

Advice to Management

Loosen the purse strings and properly compensate the AVP and VP level employees.

Align women's salaries with their male peers.

Understand that the focus on regulators and compliance issues is not working. Departments are slapping on a bandage and telling regulators and auditors what they want to hear, and process testing is a joke. Testers are taught to get to the right outcome, but are not following actual processes and procedures.

Technology is antiquated and in some departments cannot cover the basic needs much less be improved to satisfy regulators.

At Chase no matter what level you are, you will always be just a cog in the wheel. You have to leave to get ahead. As I did. Some of our very best employees and managers work at other banks now. Chase lets the top performers become their competitors best employees. No attempt to retain and promote key players.

After 20+ years, it was easy to walk away from a career I once loved. I no longer felt I had value. My value is very clear and appreciated at my new employer. I just wish I had left two years sooner.

9. "Poor employee support"

Former Employee - Regulatory Risk Analyst ­ KYC/AML/BSA Risk Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mobility, looks good on a resume, benefits are nice, vacation time for salaried employees is very nice

Cons

Pay not comparable to similar positions elsewhere, lack of training, unreasonable expectations, constantly feeling your job is in jeopardy

Advice to Management

Give associates the nessary tools and support they need to achieve the metrics you expect

10. "Risk Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grove City, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grove City, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is stable and had many different areas to work in and is one of the largest employers in Central Ohio

Cons

The current department I am in has no purpose and structure. Its difficult to move from one area to another and there is little to no increase in pay over the years

Advice to Management

As you may want to reduce expenses and that is understandable having your employees work long hours with no breaks due to meeting are always being scheduled during lunch hrs makes for difficult work conditions. Also departments that are in a constant flux and do not have true value is costing the company more than helping them.

"Great Benefits, Poor middle Management - GTI"

Current Employee - Vice President Structured Cabling Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Vice President Structured Cabling Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time

Pros

okay pay.
    great benefits.
    Work from home on occasion is not a problem with preapproval.
    4-weeks vacation to start.
    Pension, 401k with 100% match after a year; vest after three years.
    State of the art Technologies

Cons

Work/life balance is poor due to the fact that they are understaffed, overloaded, and yet someone was just laid off. So, the workload has only increased. I find myself working in the evening and weekends and yet still under water
    Many managers do not speak much to their direct reports. No Support is given by managers. Its a sink or swim environment.
    Typically no raises, and bonuses don't necessarily increase so you may end up with the same total comp for years at a time

Advice to Management

They have to learn to become better mentors and understand that overloading is not the way to a quality product.

Showing 70 of 11,215 reviews