J.P. Morgan Reviews in Ohio | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

Ohio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Good Company. Hard to advance. Not a fun place."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Lots of vacation.Retirement and matching 401k

Cons

Stressful. Relies heavily on metrics.

2. "Technology Analyst"

Former Intern - Technology Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Intern - Technology Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible benefits and experiences at the firm. Weekly intern-specific training seminars that taught corporate professionalism, company culture, networking, and the skills necessary to succeed in a firm as big as JP Morgan is.

Additionally, each intern is given their own specific project that they must finish within the ten-week internship. Upon completion, you're given the opportunity to present your work to upper management. While intimidating, the feedback given is unparalleled to any feedback I had been given in university.

Throughout the summer you will become close to the other interns and begin building your first professional network which is invaluable.

lastly, financially you are paid as if you are an actual employee. It's a very high paying job, but the experienced gained throughout the internship is more valuable in my opinion.

Cons

The size of JP Morgan is almost incomprehensible. It's very easy to feel like a small fish in a big pond. Because of that, company efficacy is plagued by corporate bureaucracy. If you need a new keyboard at your cubicle then you'll have to put in a request ticket, and once that ticket gets reviewed and accepted you may have a replacement in two to three weeks if lucky. This get's very frustrating at times.

Speaking from personal experience in tech, I was given an application to re-implement so that business analysts could easily use it. However, because of how long it takes for tickets to be approved it took four whole weeks before I was even able to access it. Very frustrating because I wanted to start the job on day one - so for four weeks I was stuck in limbo.

This may only apply to millennials, but the office, decorations, and miles upon miles of cubicles made the work environment very uninteresting and slightly depressing at times.

Perhaps this is a con for some, but don't expect a 40 hour work week at JP Morgan. I didn't mind it, but one should expect to work 55-65 hours a week and rarely some weekends.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job, but they're only doing all they can. The traditional work environment has worked, but with the integration of millennials into the workforce an evident generational conflict is emerging. The company needs to redesign its corporate culture and work environment to cater to this new incoming workforce, or else high rates of turnover may occur. Interns do not need to be babies, they need to educated, delegated real work, and most importantly given work autonomy. The transformation will definitely be a give and take, but it will most definitely help new hires assimilate into the corporate culture more comfortably.

3. "Lost in the shuffle"

Current Employee - Associate IT Project Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Associate IT Project Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a large employee base and therefore networking opportunities exist.
    Top financial institution in the US.

Cons

Incumbent employees are often left behind in terms of compensation
    Large silos/beauracracy is present and difficult to navigate

Advice to Management

Objectives are far too ambiguous, tighten up the objectives so employees can deliver.

"Poor middle management and no way around it"

Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay/benefits for IT work. I appreciate the family programs and health rewards system.
    Work with some of the best/smartest (some not so much, but alas its a big company; find the good ones and work with them)

Cons

Hard work and long hours is unrewarded, it is expected. Often told "your standard workload done exceptionally is a meets, middle of the road performance". Our team was small and had enough work for quadruple the size (which management is FINALLY putting into affect by off shoring). So to accomplish the standard would require over 60+ hours a week for every individual. No end in sight. So I take on a huge project and work 80 hour weeks (3+ months); direct management barely responded with an email good job.
    No work in team work, just pass the hard work and take credit for the "concept".
    Managers and HR are a team (as they should be), noone looks out for the individual contributor (you are alone). No oversight/insight to a manager in the wrong role (my manager didn't know at a 10k ft level what swap or http vs. https (umm... we are a security first, devops team)), performing questionable (although not illegal) activities, especially with vendors.
    Performance reviews are 1 way: down. No way to effectively make a change, even if a written statement is proven inaccurate with other written documentation. Email is the foundation of any written communication and only saved for 6 months. Performance reviews are 6 months (a joke, only thing that matters is your rating, just a virtual signature effort) and 12 months. Thereby everything is based on your written notes, any saved offline communications, OR what your management said happened. Even if you have proven inaccuracies, there is no way to affect a change.

Advice to Management

If you/your manager do not see eye to eye on items like work life balance, the availability of an agreed on solution is near 0. Contact HR? Yeah right, they'll contact manager 1st thing they get off the phone with you. Contact skip-level manager? Yeah right, put a "troublemaker" sign on your cube nameplate.
    Although I have seen a few occasions of mobility, the bottom-line is your manager sets your performance ratings, your potential new manager will see the ratings (and will have to decide to care what they are), your potential new manager can/will contact your current manager for feedback, and your old manager holds your release date - everytime I've seen this argued at executive director level (or above) with both HR sides involved.
    Insight360 may hold the key with performance reviews (review manager->contributor and contributor->manager; and peer review). However who is going to tell their boss they suck! (Please read above on HR/management as a team). Annual bonus raises need to shift to the real-time model to make the insight360 really work.

5. "Challenging work"

Current Employee - Business Process Manager in Powell, OH
    Current Employee - Business Process Manager in Powell, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well compensated. Work interesting. Plenty of opportunity to provide expertise and leaders are willing to listen when work is done well.

Cons

Leaders not always aware of what is happening below them. Work is never ending. What have you done for me "this week" attitude from senior leadership

6. "If you apply yourself, you can learn a lot."

Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of exposure to enterprise systems.
    - Big company with many programs.

Cons

- Sometimes too political because of the large size.
    - Sometimes lack of clarity between those who do work and those that claim they did work.

7. "Time to rethink IT structure"

Former Employee - App Dev Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - App Dev Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits in health care
    Good vacation time
    Variations in opportunity

Cons

Shuffling of retirement management on occasion
    Large company segregating roles and responsibilities trying to make everything fit ITIL but clearly destroying teamwork between app dev and operations

Advice to Management

Learn about DevOps - its not just tools - it is a culture

8. "Not a bad company/not a great company"

Former Employee - Cardmember Specialist L in Westerville, OH
    Former Employee - Cardmember Specialist L in Westerville, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very good co workers, pay was decent, most of the floor managers try to be helpful

Cons

Most of the managers are never on the same page. Intimidation from dept heads

Advice to Management

Everyone needs to be on the same page so as not to give customers different or wrong information

9. "Challenging but fun"

Former Intern - Financial Analyst Intern in Columbus, OH
    Former Intern - Financial Analyst Intern in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A great place to learn skills and be with great leadership

Cons

If you are stuck in a bad division you are screwed- random placement

Advice to Management

Try to understand interns are there to learn, they don't know everything at first.

10. "Be careful"

Former Employee - Executive Director in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly dynamic environment using the very latest in technology

Cons

Very large organization with significant politcs

Advice to Management

Need to be less silo'd in IT

Showing 563 of 12,350 reviews