J.P. Morgan Reviews in Ohio | Glassdoor

Ohio

"Dev Tech Ops"

Former Employee - Dev Tech Ops in Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Dev Tech Ops in Delaware, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in. Location was very nice. I would work there again. Used to travel to Chicago once every six weeks.

Cons

When they changed there support infrastructure, they siloed us, relegating support to just tickets or changes, or implementation, etc.

Advice to Management

Recognize Loyalty. Staff that's been there a decade (or more) KNOWS the business, perhaps better than you.

"Not great, not horrible"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large company, able to take different roles in the company to see various functions
    Present in many major cities, helps for relocation
    Benefits seem pretty good

Cons

Feel like just another # in the system
    Pay / bonuses don't feel great despite significant profits for the company
    Politics around promotions / pay increases is absurd

Advice to Management

Be more objective with pay / promotions. If an employee is performing well, pay them. If an employee is sub-par, let them go.

3. "Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

At the forefront of technology solutions for customers and employees. Working there was much easier than my current employer.

Cons

Inbred senior management culture with a mafioso attitude and dog eat dog competitiveness at all levels. Unhealthy, almost no work life balance, little in return.

Advice to Management

Does it matter what I tell senior management here? Too big to listen and change. I spent 9 years there and was turned into a mind numb zombie. I forgot how to think and innovate.

5. "Strong Technology Analyst Program"

Former Intern - Technology Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Intern - Technology Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very engaging program where firm & management invest highly into intern program. Given semi-valuable projects and fair expectations. Above-average pay and large amount of resources available to all interns.

Cons

The bureaucracy of an international financial institution seems to inhibit innovation/progression at times. Wallstreet culture seems to clash with Tech culture at times.

Advice to Management

Have all developer programs available to interns from the start date to avoid long install times. Learn how to appeal to millennial tech culture more authentically.

6. "No surprises from a company this large"

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great experience working in a big corporate environment
    - Tons of opportunity within the company
    - Competitive pay and good benefits

Cons

- Innovation is only done by the business and never really from the technology side
    - Not a place that tolerates mistakes or failures
    - Extremely hierarchal. Everyone treats their managers as inhuman and never challenge their decisions.
    - Everyone is always covering their rear ends. Working as a team is not part of the company culture even though they may claim it is.

Advice to Management

- Allow teams to fail and make mistakes. So much is learned from doing so.
    - Humanize your managers. People shouldn't have to figure out how to move mountains because some executive read something in "Technology Today"
    - You're not a technology company. Just because most of your business relies on technology doesn't mean you're a technology company. Stop claiming you are.

"Chase 2016..."

Former Employee - Vice President, Business Operations Manager in Westerville, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time

Pros

Was able to work at a job I loved for over 20 years, and progress to a senior management level.

Cons

The past year or two have been the worst in my over 20 year career. Upper level mgmt does not care about employees, only the regulators and compliance issues. As a senior level manager, there is way to promote or compensate staff to be at the level they deserve. Constant reorg of job titles, pay alignment and job grades has benefitted low level staff, but has almost penalized AVP and VP employees. Sr. managers are handcuffed by "do more with less" and it is hard to provide an environment that supports work/life balance that the corporation preaches about. Chase seems to have gotten too big. As it grew, the employees became less of a focus, which is a shame, because there are some pretty incredible employees in my former team.

The level of stress is overwhelming from the lowest level employee on up. The environment is hostile and has become a horrible place to work. No matter what you do, it is not enough. No matter how well your team does, they are expected to do more, with no additional support or compensation.

Advice to Management

Loosen the purse strings and properly compensate the AVP and VP level employees.

Align women's salaries with their male peers.

Understand that the focus on regulators and compliance issues is not working. Departments are slapping on a bandage and telling regulators and auditors what they want to hear, and process testing is a joke. Testers are taught to get to the right outcome, but are not following actual processes and procedures.

Technology is antiquated and in some departments cannot cover the basic needs much less be improved to satisfy regulators.

At Chase no matter what level you are, you will always be just a cog in the wheel. You have to leave to get ahead. As I did. Some of our very best employees and managers work at other banks now. Chase lets the top performers become their competitors best employees. No attempt to retain and promote key players.

After 20+ years, it was easy to walk away from a career I once loved. I no longer felt I had value. My value is very clear and appreciated at my new employer. I just wish I had left two years sooner.

8. "Great for career advancement; bad for collaboration"

Current Employee - Associate - Financial Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Associate - Financial Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Career Mobility/Development (great opportunities for upward mobility)
    2. Vacation time - 4 weeks for salaried employees
    3. Programs/fun events for employees, including family events

Cons

1. Communication and collaboration between teams and similar departments within the bank
    2. Work/life balance can absolutely be a challenge depending on which department you are in.
    3. Not a positive work environment.

Advice to Management

Work better at communicating across teams and being open and honest about the communication. Stop finger pointing and make it a more collaborative and positive work environment where people aren't afraid to share ideas/information or be chastised while trying to understand an issue.

"Big name bank, employees beware!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blacklick, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blacklick, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Big name, big company. Decent compensation. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Horrible management, they don't care about employees, employee concerns ignored

Advice to Management

Listen to employee concerns and make the necessary changes

"Great place for young & resilient"

Former Employee - Director in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Director in Columbus, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan full-time

Pros

- Get to explore the best of most - if not all - cutting edge technologies and the firm will round you up in corporate politics & cutting through red tabes like no where else
    Best pay in the Midwest
    Great individual contributors
    Business results oriented firm

Cons

- Too much politics and managing up, promotions based on likability & upstream relationships not based on talent & delivery excellence
    - Late planing followed by last minute plans that were late already
    - Influence is in NY city, if you are somewhere else them mostly you will be an afterthought input-wise
    - Very rude & brute forcing upper management

Advice to Management

People are actual people not just a number on a spreadsheet, get rid of managers who are not good with people & rewards the ones who are .. Currently you are doing it backwards

11. "Great Job"

Former Contractor - Mortgage Processor (Contractor) in Pickerington, OH
    Former Contractor - Mortgage Processor (Contractor) in Pickerington, OH

I worked at J.P. Morgan as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. They also work with you to help move up in the company

Cons

Communication between departments is sometimes difficult

Showing 531 of 11,439 reviews