J. Paul Getty Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Cuno

Pros
  • Great benefits once you complete the internship (in 12 reviews)

• Also, great benefits, good work/life balance, beautiful place (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little to no room for upward advancement or promotion (in 3 reviews)

• Moreover, it is run more like a for-profit than a non-profit such that communication and transparency are lacking (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Incredible Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Associate Technical Support Specialist in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Technical Support Specialist in Glendale, CA

I worked at J. Paul Getty Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed everything about the Getty. The stunning views, incredible employees, and extraordinary artwork at both the Getty Center and Getty Villa.

This was by far the best job I have ever had in my career in IT. I have worked for some very impressive organizations. While working at the Getty; I worked with a team of 10 plus one Manger. Everyone on the team has impressive talent and high standards. I was very happy to be around a team and Manager that had such great skills.

I was very happy to receive trainings on and offsite; which helped to make me highly successful at my job.

Since I am from Missouri with no family in Los Angeles, I became homesick and decided to resign from the Getty and move back home. Otherwise, I saw great opportunities to continue and build my IT career at the Getty.

This is an extremely great place to work and I wish everyone the very best who has the opportunity to work there.

Cons

There were no downsides/cons. Keep up the great work!!!

"Staff Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at J. Paul Getty Trust (More than 10 years)

Pros

liberal holiday schedule & paid sick time
    Insurance coverage and good retirement benefits with a 403B (like a 401K)
    opportunity to see new art exhibits before the public
    nice fellow employees
    free gym for full time staff

Cons

condescending management
    has become extremely corporate
    no separate employee parking for hourly staff -wait for the employee bus-hope you get on top of the mountain in time for your shift.
    Staff forced to park on lower parking levels for the benefit of the public.
    Difficulty to depart in a timely manner with a rush of public departing from the same garage.
    overly complicated financial reporting systems, keeps ITS busy
    Mid level and lower level staff members fearful to confide in HR

Advice to Management

Be genuinely nice to your staff if you want to boost morale. There should not be an us against them mentality which sadly exists now.

"Think Before You Accept Work Here"

Current Employee - Library Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Library Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The Getty grounds are beautiful. Views are exceptional. Employees get 24-hour access to an on-site gym.

Cons

First of all - the pay is terrible. Most GRI library staff know very little about art history and artists' books. I was incredibly surprised and disappointed by this. Job description was misleading, verbal description by supervisor was even more misleading. Reference means scanning all day and library assistant work means paging all day. I mean manual labor ALL DAY. You will be sore and disgruntled when you leave the office. Safety is not a priority here. I was injured on the job and the conditions under which I was injured have not changed 2 months later. Staff are still being asked to do heavy physical work with no accommodations. The Departments are very compartmentalized, so employees do not gain new skills, interact, or collaborate - therefore it is hard to move up or switch career paths. The physical location at the top of a hill means that the commute is terrible for ALL EMPLOYEES. Even if you can manage to live in Bel Air or Brentwood or Westwood, you still have to park in an overcrowded garage and make your way up the hill. Forget it if you live on the East side. The commute will ruin your life. This isolation means once you get up to the top you are stuck. There is no relief, no way to run errands, pop out for a quick doctors visit, lunch, or any other home life tasks. The food options for lunch are terrible. There is one café and the few times I ate there I got a stomach ache.

Advice to Management

I would make safety a priority. I would also carefully consider applicants and hire those with just enough qualifications. The Getty seems to hire VERY overqualified persons to do jobs that will not challenge them. Productivity here will suffer without the proper safety conditions and daily challenges that make persons interested and invested in their own work. I would make an art history background a priority for employees working in the largest art library in the United States.

"Great for work/life balance, not much else."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

it's a beautiful place to work. Amazing views, beautiful gardens. It's very easy to settle in for a few years, do your job and take advantage of seeing previews of exhibits etc. Great benefits, lots of time off.

Cons

Difficult commute from just about everywhere, employee parking is a nightmare and once you are at work you are kind of trapped. There is no such thing as taking care of a few quick errands on your lunch hour. They make you write your own performance reviews which makes moving up difficult as you don't get guidance from managers on your job performance. The campus as a whole can be clique-ish. Not a lot of interaction between departments except at the very top.

Advice to Management

I don't really have any. They ask for it year after year, and no matter the issue, big or small nothing ever gets resolved.

6. "OK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Has become very corporate.

Advice to Management

Work at trying to keep your employees

"Visitor Services Associate"

Current Employee - Visitor Services Associate in Brentwood, CA
    Current Employee - Visitor Services Associate in Brentwood, CA

I have been working at J. Paul Getty Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment, the coworkers, and the events. Great atmosphere with unique and genuine people.

Cons

Tedious/repetitive tasks (cleaning headphones and line control)
    Scheduling is terrible. Expect to work and be asked to work on your days off
    Very understaffed
    A lot of mind numbing responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Could provide more challenges and engaging activities with the galleries.

8. "Visitor Services Supervisor"

Current Employee - Visitor Services Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Visitor Services Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at J. Paul Getty Trust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Great co-workers, fantastic visitors, outstanding views.

Cons

More management appreciation, higher yearly compensation

"Not bad/not great - non-art position"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA

I have been working at J. Paul Getty Trust (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great vacation/benefits, beautiful place to work, interesting and creative people

Cons

Too much bureaucracy, too large, top-down management/decrees. no accountability for bad employees, not much room for growth, nor is mentoring any priority, average pay

10. "Getty Internship"

Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The Getty Foundation provides a great internship program with opportunity to learn the in's and out's of the business. It is great that they have this program for Undergraduate students. I thoroughly enjoyed my internship location through the getty! Highly recommended to students trying to persue a career in the Arts.

Cons

I do not have any cons, nor regrets about becoming part of this internship program.

"Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at J. Paul Getty Trust (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues and a beautiful place to work.

Cons

Not enough pay and difficult to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Pay your entry level staff a higher salary to prevent high turn over.