J.T. Nakaoka Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 8, 2017

2.9
James T. Nakaoka
1 Rating

1. "Let's set the record straight: things have changed."

Former Employee - Senior Architect
    Former Employee - Senior Architect

I worked at J.T. Nakaoka Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I just want to respond to that other review, on this board, and to accurately describe the current conditions at JTNAA.

Though everything stated on that previous "terrible firm" review was an accurate description in the distant past, It does not apply currently. Things are a lot better for employees.

The owner, Jas, has relinquished his envolment in production to the Project Manager Jill. Most employees there never have to even talk to him.
    Jill is a really great person to work under. She's incredibly smart and reasonable, while also being respectful and trusting to the people working under her direction. There is no micro-managing. And Jill has a lot to offer, in terms of career growth. I think anyone who is looking to learn can really get a lot from being under Jill's guidance.

The other changed condition is in the hours. Jtnaa has long since reduced hours required to 40, five days a week, with the occasional few overtime hours. Those overtime hours are counted as comp-time, which is either compensated as pay or time off.

Cons

JTNAA does give the normal holidays off, but not the Friday after Thanksgiving. They do give Presidents Day off though.

2. "Terrible Firm"

Former Employee - Junior/Intermediate Job Captain in Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Junior/Intermediate Job Captain in Century City, CA

I worked at J.T. Nakaoka Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It says I have to write 20 words here so I guess I can say the one pro is Paid overtime.

Cons

This is a small firm and the owner is an abusive, micro-managing, slave driving, control freak. Beware, Jas (the owner/principal) can be very charming. He is the worst individual I've had to work with in 20 years in the industry. It is an open office environment and the owner is in there making everyone super tense all day. People have to sneak around whispering trying to avoid getting yelled at by him. He yells at everyone. I saw him bring his employees to tears many times, in front of the entire office. The hours are terrible and he forces all staff to work weekends. If you don't show up on a Sat/Sun, he'll call you and leave voicemails repeatedly. He hires foreigners on work visa's so he can work them to the bone. Absolutely horrific experience.

Advice to Management

Seek psychiatric evaluation