J&L Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Scott T. Joseph

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • J&L provides great training and resources necessary to do your job (in 30 reviews)

• Working for J&L Marketing has given me the opportunity to travel across the country (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No downsides that I've seen in my 3 years of working for J&L :) (in 13 reviews)

• The company is hemorrhaging good employees left and right (in 3 reviews)

"Regional Account Director"

Former Employee - Regional Account Director in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Regional Account Director in Louisville, KY

I worked at J&L Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers. Solid training. The company gives you the tools to succeed. Top performers make a lot of money. Room for upward mobility.

Cons

No cons with the company. The leadership is helpful. The industry is demanding though. If you come in with the right expectations, you'll be successful.

Advice to Management

No need to advise them. They do a great job.

Current Employee - Promotions Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Promotions Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at J&L Marketing part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great position, especially if you take advantage of building long term relationships with dealerships. Another pro is the opportunity to travel!

Cons

No downsides that I've seen in my 3 years of working for J&L :)

"Run!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at J&L Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I was on a team with were great, but it sounds like there is a completely new group around since I left.

Cons

Expected to work long, unpaid overtime on a regular basis. Very unrealistic deadlines will be thrown your way and when you are struggling to complete the tasks, you will be on the chopping block.

Former Employee - Promotion Coordinator in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Promotion Coordinator in Louisville, KY

I worked at J&L Marketing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This position will help you build your confidence, public speaking skills, hone your sales skills. J&L provides great training and resources necessary to do your job. You get to travel to various dealerships and meet lots of people. Excellent part-time opportunity especially while in college. The company is based in Louisville. KY but promotions are nationwide.

Cons

There were no cons in this position.

"Perfect College Job"

Current Employee - Promotion Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at J&L Marketing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with J&L has allowed me to travel, meet tons of professional connections, and make a pretty good amount of money while doing it. Love J&L!

Cons

When you have to balance work travel with a busy school schedule, it can be sort of stressful. But definitely worth it in the end!

Advice to Management

Be more efficient with scheduling. Often we only get 1-2 weeks notice for when we will be travelling, more would be ideal.

Current Employee - Promotion Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at J&L Marketing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for J&L has been great marketing/sales experience. They are very flexible with your schedule and you get to travel to a lot of cool places!

Cons

Some months you won't get any events to work but that's why you get a second job while working as a promotion coordinator

"Awesome company to work for, great values."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Pros

J&L is all about opportunity. You will be given the keys to the car and what you do with it will be up to you. There is a clear path for success and many achieve it. Very sales oriented and growth is the goal. It is a fun, fast paced environment.

Cons

Only some people can handle the challenges of this industry in general. "You will be given the keys to the car and what you do with it will be up to you" is not a pro to all people. Not everyone can see the path to success clearly or know what to do when they find it. This company is for go getters, it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on building for digital to replace old forms of advertising. Guide those who ask questions, push employees without breaking them and provide more opportunities for career advancement within company.

"Lot$ of $ale$ opportunity & great culture!"

Current Employee - Sales in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales in Louisville, KY

Pros

Tremendous opportunity on the sales side to make money. The training is good and comprehensive. The company does a lot of fun activities like parties, tickets to games, concerts, etc. The offices are really nice and has a bourbon cabinet for after work.

Cons

There has been a lot of turnover because a number of young people fresh out of college were hired and were not ideal for sales. The bar has been raised though and now it is a wider variety with some young less experienced but smart and more experienced salespeople. The company expects people to work hard, but that is really a good thing!

Advice to Management

Keep hiring high caliber talent and investing in training. The company is moving in the right direction.

"Great People, Fading Company"

Former Employee - Senior Production Staff in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Production Staff in Louisville, KY

I worked at J&L Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are great, hard working people that work in production. They appreciate the work that they do for one another and for the company. The atmosphere is casual and friendly. It really does feel like a big, extended family at times.

Face to face, management is friendly and easy to talk to.

Cons

Full disclosure: I am one of many people who have the company recently, though I left to pursue higher pay and advancement opportunities.

About a year ago, the management adopted a business management book which has some good ideas about accountability and efficiency, but I don't believe they have fully implemented it. There is still a tendency to be a bit stingy in recognizing the best people and performers. The book focuses on getting the right people in the right spots, but it seems the right people keep leaving when their efforts go unrecognized. Management seems to be falling into the common mindset of "I recognize my good people. I pay them, don't I?" Rather than reward the best, management seems content to simply replace the people that don't simply get on board.

The sales office is the typical high pressure, commission heavy, sales environment. Deadlines come fast and furious, as is the pressure to perform. This causes friction between the sales staff and production, who are often given unrealistic goals, in order to satisfy the customer.

Advice to Management

You have good, talented people from top to bottom, but you need to recognize and acknowledge this in a concrete way. Just because you can and have run this company by yourself, it doesn't mean you should. Your best and brightest are leaving for greener pastures. Listen and acknowledge this talented individuals, or you risk more people leaving. The talent pool in Louisville is good, but you are quickly losing the ability to attract the best people from it.

J&L Marketing Response

Feb 16, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for the kind words about our team and atmosphere. We really are happy to hear that because that is exactly the culture we want. The last year and half was definitely a growth period in... More

"Bad Business"

Former Employee - Business Growth Strategist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Business Growth Strategist in Louisville, KY

I worked at J&L Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot about yourself and what you are looking for in your career. Mostly you learn exactly what not to do.

Cons

Well first off.... Its true, they base everything off of two books that they claim to have read. They even went as far to hire someone to come in and gauge how well they are following the books. There will always be the excuse of "We have been working things out but think we have them figured out now". The truth is they are the definition of "its not us, its you". The company is ran by a over controlling, manipulative, unqualified kid. He rose through the ranks without ever proving more than the fact that he convinced the owner he was loyal and hardworking, neither of which he is. The owner, although a great guy at times, has the tendency to blame everyone else and not look internally. The company underpays and typically under performs what it says it does for their clients. In the two years I was there I saw over 50 people leave or get fired in a 100 person company, many of whom were managers, directors and vp's. Sadly most of the reviews on here were forcefully asked to be written from current employees. I will say this. I learned a lot about who I was, and what I wanted to do with my career after this. I learned just about everything there was to learn about what a great leader is not made of. I truly think I am a better person for this.....so thank you for that.

Advice to Management

You will read this and blame it on someone else and think that whatever I am doing I am not successful or happy. Best advice I could give you is to step back and realize what you have created. The "management" you have in there is not the right fit. You have created an atomic atmosphere that only the owner can fix. My advice, sell the company and let people who truly want to help others run it.