J&L Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

J&L Marketing Reviews

Updated Sep 20, 2019

3.9
J&L Marketing CEO Scott T. Joseph  (no image)
Scott T. Joseph

"Unlimited earning potential"

Former Employee - Business Growth Strategist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at J&L Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a good work environment. J&L Marketing is a fantastically run company with great vision, great leadership and industry leading products, services and talent. Team leaders and managers are very supportive and coach up their teams to succeed. If you are good at building relationships, communicating, and overcoming objections this could be a good job for you.

Cons

This job is not for everyone, very demanding and taxing mentally.

Advice to Management

NA

J&L Marketing2019-09-20

"Great Culture and Very Innovative"

Current Employee - Digital Brand Strategist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at J&L Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Allows all employees to pitch ideas to be implemented - Great Hours - Fun environment

Cons

- there is not any

Advice to Management

keep it up!

J&L Marketing2019-06-22

"This was great place to year until the last year or so"

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Louisville, KY

I worked at J&L Marketing part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great hard working people for the most part

Cons

Upper management has no respect for those who do the work and doesn't abide by the core values but expected others to do so.

J&L Marketing2019-06-08

June 14, 2019CEO

Thank you for your feedback and I’m sorry your experience with us did not finish as great as it started. We work hard as a team to create an environment where everyone enjoys the culture and their job. Unfortunately, we have not done that 100% of the time but we will continue to work hard in our pursuit of it. It is difficult to identify what went wrong in your situation because we have never employed an accounting assistant. So I know we’ve never employed a part time accounting assistant for five years. If you are sincere and honest with your feedback... I will assume this was done in an attempt to keep your identity private. You are correct, we take our core values seriously. Innovation, Passion, Delivers Results, Can Do Attitude, Honesty and Integrity are things we try to live every day. These are not just words we created because we wanted to be all of those things...We demonstrate ALL of these values when we as a team are at our best. I’ve reviewed a variety of Glassdoor reviews from a variety of industries. One thing I’ve noticed is that there are two types of people in every organization- those who like their organization and job and those who do not. New York Times best selling author, Ken Blanchard once said... “People who produce good results feel good about their themselves.” It’s been my experience that the people who produce good results at J&L tend to like the company and their job more than someone who does not. These people tend to post positive reviews and the people who do not post negative reviews. This is probably a result of how they feel internally but also probably the feedback they get from their manager as well. What amazes me is that many of the comments (both positive and negative) are so similar from industry to industry. The same can be said of an employer and how they would review an employee. In the end... I think with any organization and person it comes down to the fit. Some people are just not a good fit for their job or the organization and some organizations are not a good fit for that person as well. It was my job to create an environment that allowed you to excel, grow and love what you do... I feel like I failed you and I wish I could have done better. I do know the people who live our core values are very happy here and we are equally thrilled they chose to represent J&L. We are truly fortunate to have them on our team. It’s my hope you are able to find a company that’s a better fit for you because in the end... you and your employer should both enjoy the working relationship. Life is a lot more fun that way. J&L Marketing was ranked #9 by Zippia in their ranking of the best places to work in and around Louisville, Kentucky. While we are proud of this, we clearly have more work to do... but we will get there. If you would like to talk further about this my door is always open. Thank you again for your review and feedback - Scott

"A toxic and immature owner"

Former Employee - Business Growth Strategist

I worked at J&L Marketing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Potential to connect with people within the industry. Can come and go as you leave because the only managers are semi-retired across country.

Cons

The Owner is an immature ticking time bomb that goes off weekly firing, & chasing away the only talent in the building. Yes... Has been successful but he personally ran off the people's coat tails he's been riding for over a decade. Products are utter garbage and provide no value you to anyone with an education or automotive marketing experience.

Advice to Management

No advice on this planet could possible help except for.. Don't reply to this and put blame on me (which you always do to reviews). Take responsibility and stop blaming others or just close the doors.

J&L Marketing2018-10-16

October 24, 2018CEO

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you feel this way about your business relationship with me and even more importantly your opinion about J&L Marketing. It is my personal goal that every individual at J&L enjoys their work experience. I won't go back and forth on the quality of our products and services. If you were truly at J&L for more than 3 years, I have to assume you would not have stayed that long if your clients were not thrilled with the marketing results and the atmosphere was toxic. Our Google rating is 4.8 out of 5. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive with over 95% of the reviews coming from automotive marketers and clients who benefit from our marketing strategies and programs. It's open to anyone who wants to review us or just read the reviews. As far as the culture here we are proud to be ranked #9 by Zippia in their ranking of the best places to work in and around Louisville, Kentucky. This ranking is not because of me (never has been). This is because of a group of great people who work hard together in an effort to accomplish incredible things. We are now a full service digital agency and our growth is there as we continue to look for and add qualified people to that team.. We are proud of what that team has accomplished and even more proud of their willingness to learn and grow in this direction. Not every person is the right fit for a company and not every company is the right fit for all individuals. It is my hope you are currently working at a place you can call home and thrive. Thank you again for your review and feedback and as always feel free to reach out to me if you ever want to discuss and at least end on a more positive note. - Scott

"Promotion Coordinator"

Current Employee - Promotions Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at J&L Marketing part-time for more than a year

Pros

I have had some great experiences and have made many networking connections

Cons

sometimes long commute. You can be driving for up to 3 hours to get to specific events

J&L Marketing2018-10-01

"Marketing Coordinator"

I have been working at J&L Marketing full-time

Pros

What I like most about working at J&L compared to other agencies I've worked at is that there is minimal micro-management. You have ample independence to work on projects and collaborate with management on ideas. I've developed new skills and made lots of friends. Solid benefits and vacation/personal time. There is also a good amount of office events throughout the year which keeps the environment fun and upbeat.

Cons

Hours can be long, client deadlines and last minute changes add pressure. But such is agency life.

J&L Marketing2018-08-28

"Promotions Coordinator"

I have been working at J&L Marketing part-time

Pros

Scheduling is flexible and the job helps develop skills, such as public speaking, customer & employee relationships, populating dashboards, conducting surveys, effective communication, and becoming familiar with sales event statistics.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that sometimes the dashboard does not consistently run correctly, so you can't do things electronically, but you can still do your job the old-fashioned paper way.

J&L Marketing2018-05-16

"Fantastic Leadership"

Current Employee - Business Growth Strategist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at J&L Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Coworkers, Engaging Management/Leadership, Room for Advancement within the company

Cons

I don’t have any cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the great leadership

J&L Marketing2018-01-04

February 6, 2018CEO

Thank you for your kind comments. As you may know, so few people take the time to let a company know when they are happy with the direction and culture. Your review is appreciated.

"Great Place!"

Current Employee - Print Shop Technician in Louisville, KY

I have been working at J&L Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun environment and good management

Cons

I do not have any cons working here

J&L Marketing2018-01-04

February 6, 2018CEO

Thank you. Our team takes great pride in the quality of their work and love hear from our peers about the fun environment.

"Don’t waste your time at this company"

I worked at J&L Marketing full-time

Pros

The employees are very nice.

Cons

It’s a revolving door because once you realize how ridiculous the environment is, everyone leaves. “ It’s not just because of sales.” The sales jobs are awful because you predominantly cold call. Then cold call for a product that no one wants or “the customer doesn’t know they want / need it.” For a Marketing Company, you would think they tactics would be more advanced. Great products can create their own demand.

Advice to Management

The managers are just trying to keep up with the emotional and self centered owner. Hard to have compassion about producing when the owner complains about “declining business/coming out of his pocket,” when he goes on vacation every other minute and/or spends $100-200 for a pedicure. Show off your money a little less and people might respect you more. Stop trying to brain wash everyone than the high turnover is... normal. Perhaps look into how to retain employees. It’s only hurting your reputation.

J&L Marketing2017-12-28

December 31, 2017CEO

Thank you for the kind words about our employees. We do our best to build teams that are good at what they do and even more importantly are even better people. I'm really sorry you felt your time at J&L was wasted and would like to think this is uncommon. I say that because we truly wish every individual at J&L enjoys their work experience. I want you to know how much I appreciate your comments about cold calling. I don't know anyone who enjoys it- I never did. I want you to also know, I agree with you. We probably do a better job creating marketing for our customers than we do for ourselves. We have to continue to innovate to improve the marketing for our clients but at the same time we need to get better (and I promise we will) at producing leads for our sales teams. While this has improved over the last 12 months, we still have a long way to go. I do not know if we will ever get to a point where the demand is so high we don't need to call anyone. It would be great if one day we had a brand similar to Apple where people wait in line for us too... We may need a much higher marketing budget to get there:-) I want you to know we take your feedback about turnover seriously. As we grew and reorganized to a digital agency, this did create challenges. We have worked hard on this and really feel this has improved. In fact, on Nov 29 2017 J&L Marketing was ranked #9 by Zippia in their ranking of the best places to work in and around Louisville, Kentucky. While we are proud of this, we are not done because we still feel we can get a lot better and are working hard to get there. Thank you again for your review and feedback - Scott

Found 98 reviews