J&R Schugel Trucking Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rick Schugel
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A very outstanding company I went to this company after graduating out of truck driving school"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Columbus, OH

I worked at J&R Schugel Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They start you at 27 cents and after 90 days with no problems they will boost you to 38 cents they also have excellent equipment as well as miles . Being that this was my first company I must say I made a great choice they are very forgiving when it comes to accidents depending on the severity. Never did I have a problem with getting home they always asked me when I wanted to be home before I left home which is a big plus. I would recommend this company to anyone who wants to be with a great company that not only takes pride in equipment but also their drivers

Cons

The worst part of my experience working here was my training or should I say trainer besides that I can't think of any

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

"Don't fall for it"

Former Employee - OTR Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Driver

I worked at J&R Schugel Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good equipment can't think of nothing else

Cons

They sucked you in. The first few paychecks are good then it slowly goes down hill from there. Then the hipe about leasing a truck and truck. Good at first then you slowly work for nothing. And god forbid if you go home you won't get a paycheck for 2 weeks because they want there money first. Paid over 3000.00 a month to lease. They also pay terrible mileage pay.

Advice to Management

Please think twice and investigate other companies too.

"Not a career company"

I have been working at J&R Schugel Trucking (More than a year)

Pros

They will get you home when you want.

Cons

They advertise 50k a year. Scratch that..they advertise satellite tv. Scratch that...get on a waiting list with 50 drivers ahead of you. Mileage bonus. Scratch that cause dispatch will not give the miles...Safety bonus. Scratch that cause nobody knows what's going on with that. Company is good for seat time to get with a better company

"Just another trucking company"

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Columbus, OH

I have been working at J&R Schugel Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part, they are a good company to work for. Smaller company so everybody knows your name and you know theirs. Most of the people who work there are really good people. Get loads one right after another - sometimes too many (too many is better than not enough!). Dispatchers, recruiters, office staff all seem to be quite familiar with trucking industry which is a definite plus. When weather's bad, they DO NOT force you to drive in unsafe conditions.

Cons

Like ALL trucking companies, they are NOT forthcoming with the details of all of the "bonuses" and "perks" of the job. If you don't ask very specific questions, they won't tell you. Like the referral bonus: make sure you ask when, where, how, etc. it will be paid out. Sign-on bonus, same thing: they don't tell you there is a mileage minimum you must drive every month and if you don't, you don't get that portion of the sign-on - EVER! They give you a cpm that you'll make once you go solo: however, they don't tell you that a portion of that YOU MUST EARN. If you don't meet the guidelines, you don't get your extra .06 cpm.

Advice to Management

Just be honest with people - tell the WHOLE truth, not just part of it. And get some trip planners that can do math: there's no way a person can drive 1500 miles in less than two day! (unless you're superman and can fly).

"Smile your on camera"

Current Employee - OTR Driver in New Ulm, MN
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in New Ulm, MN

Pros

Good reliable equipment. 3 terminals.

Cons

Driver facing cameras, terrible lease program, minimal options in load planning, not many choices in load

Advice to Management

Get rid of the small town politics. Remove the driver faced cameras. Quit committing criminal offenses by using the cameras as a surveillance tool. Make changes to the lease op program. Quit advertising lies in reference to home time.

"Logistics Coordinator"

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I worked at J&R Schugel Trucking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is a good stepping stone to advance your career in the logistics/transportation industry.

Cons

The company is highly disorganized and the benefits are almost non-existent. Lack of up to date office technology.

Advice to Management

Improve work-life balance. Value your employees.

"Truck Driver"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Ulm, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Ulm, MN

Pros

Miles and home time were good

Cons

Pay wasn't good and neither was dispatch

"Company Driver"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I worked at J&R Schugel Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, and family owned company, down to earth employers

Cons

Will work you to death at times, limited home time, but worth it to some people

Advice to Management

Continue to provide quality service

"Great Company and Staff"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in New Ulm, MN
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in New Ulm, MN

I worked at J&R Schugel Trucking full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Home time when I wanted after they get to know you. Great Dispatcher and The there is Roxie (Payroll) Ellen (Front Desk) Lorie (Evening Dispatch) and Jeff (Day Dispatch). Except for the items in the con section a great company and would go back if my health would permit.

Cons

None they have been good to me only thing is they need to work on their detention pay a little, Most of the people in New Ulm are not really there for drivers. Oh Yes this Act of God to get out of paying when you are snowed in or some form of weather were you can not drive safely.

"Beware"

Pros

Pay depends on how the like you

Cons

Heartless company dont have any family issues they dont care

Advice to Management

They don't care