JAMS Reviews | Glassdoor

Chris Poole

"Great Standard Benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

401(k) matching, random and scheduled days off, fun ways of earning extra hours off. A lot of social activities and team bindings. Really cultivating a friendly environment.

Cons

Just about the only con is that the salaries are a bit on the lower end. Also might be not a lot to do sometimes.

Advice to Management

Perhaps hire a consultant to determine if you might be over-staffed.

2. "NY Resolution Center"

Current Employee - Senior Case Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Case Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at JAMS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Great views.
    - Free Lunch
    - Nice Neutrals
    - Good work/life balance

Cons

- Absentee Management
    - Management plays favorites (when they're here)
    - Lots of politicking and ratting out your co-workers to climb the ladder of "success"
    - Feels like High School all over again
    - Case Managers are stressed out
    - Work is unevenly divided
    - Old, dirty furniture
    - Dirty common areas and bathrooms
    - Unreliable technology and wifi

Advice to Management

It would be better if management spent more time in NY. They would see that (i) Case Managers are way too stressed out, (ii) work is unevenly divided and (iii) cliques rule this place! Common areas and bathrooms could use a good scrubbing!

3. "Great organization!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at JAMS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

JAMS is a culture-oriented, flat organization that invests in employee development. It's a small company, and promotion from within is common. Benefits are comparable to law firms. Other notable pros: work-life balance, nice working environment, annual bonus, and friendly/collegial co-workers.

Cons

Because it's a small company, there aren't always opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Salaries are lower than law firms, but the tradeoff is fewer hours, so I'm not sure if it's fair to say JAMS should be paying employees more.

5. "SR FA"

Former Employee - Senior FA in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior FA in Irvine, CA

I worked at JAMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment with great people. Employees stayed very long with the company.

Cons

I was under utilized by my department

Advice to Management

Need more challenge

6. "Senior Case Manager"

I have been working at JAMS full-time

Pros

The work life balance is amazing

Cons

No paid lunch hour, pretty archaic in terms of flexibility.

Advice to Management

Hello 2017?

7. "Best Culture in the Legal industry"

I worked at JAMS full-time

Pros

Mission, Vision, and Value are powerful; neutrals are amazing; staff are incredible... best legal industry work available

Cons

suffered growing pains from being a smaller firm to an international one

8. "Great Company!"

Pros

Overall, I like my job and my colleagues. The people are smart, the offices are luxurious, and the benefits are great. While I do think there is still room for improvement, I have to admit this one of the best companies I have worked for during my 11 year tenure in the legal industry.

It really is great working with the panelists. Some are a little difficult... but at the end of the day, we're working with the best of the best. It's absolutely humbling to be able to work with some of these people, as I get to be involved in a settlement decision that can involve hundreds of millions of dollars. .

Every company has its share of problems; JAMS is not excluded in that regard. However, the good exponentially outweighs the bad. Like many others, I love it here and I've established a long-term career here. I don't think I'm going anywhere anytime soon.

Cons

Honestly, there's not many "cons" that I can come up with at the top of my head. There's the fact that there is an expectation that you dress very well every day, but this is more good than bad in my opinion.

If anything, there needs to be a better system to properly identify problems and correct them. While the majority of managers are well equipped and well qualified, there are a handful that are... not the best.

Advice to Management

2 Things:

We need a better system of implementing anonymous employee surveys. The current system doesn't work because the people reviewing the information can't enact change. It needs to be centralized and via a "neutral" party. HR should be administering ongoing anonymous surveys, reported quarterly, with automated monthly reminders for participation. HR needs to organize the information and deliver them to the VPs, as only they have the power to enact change. It needs to go to them DIRECTLY via HR. In the case of operations, there cannot be a middleman, as the middleman can sometimes be the problem. Additionally, there should be a section in the survey where employees can recommend questions and help guide the conversation.

Senior management needs to hire outside consultants to come up with more technologically efficient means to get things done. We need outside perspective and should not be limited to the scope of JAMS or the "legal industry," with the entire industry in desperate need of efficiency updates. This should be a regular event, with an annual budget for outside consulting in EVERY department: operations, HR, marketing, IT, etc. We should be using project management programs, employee satisfaction/input programs, client relationship programs, etc.

"Great Culture!"

I have been working at JAMS full-time

Pros

While not perfect, JAMS is a great company and I have found a home here. JAMS makes a genuine effort to create a nice working environment – it does a lot more than other companies that I have worked for in the past.

It provides career paths. While the process is competitive, I am proud to say that I have been promoted numerous times along with many of my colleagues. Unlike some other companies I have worked at, this company recognizes and rewards hard work. JAMS also provides very competitive benefits and provides nice perks – like employee referral bonus; wellness benefit; anniversary gifts. The legal industry can be a challenge to jump into, but the company does a great job with training from initial on-boarding and ongoing training throughout the year. I think training opportunities are great because the law changes as does technology and we have to remain sharp to remain as the top ADR provider. It’s not perfect. Ask yourself what employer is… I will say JAMS has lot more pros than cons.

Cons

While there are some local opportunities for upward mobility, you may have to relocate for promotions since the company has 26 offices spread across the country.

Advice to Management

There’s always room for improvement in honing your skills.

"Fast-Paced; Generous Benefits"

I have been working at JAMS full-time

Pros

First of all, oh my god, the offices are gorgeous. There's nothing quite like working on top of LA in one of the city's tallest skyscrapers. The 20+ other offices are just as nice; they don't spare any expense when it comes to our work environment.

It's great working here because they hire the best in the legal industry. The associates learn a lot working alongside world-class mediators and arbitrators that were either previously federal/state judges or extremely successful attorneys before being recruited to the company. They offer great insight on a variety of matters and are a pleasure to work with! I've learned so much during my time here as a result of both my colleagues and the panel that we support.

There's always plenty of extra-curricular activities that the staff gets involved in. There's never a problem finding something to do or someone to do it with!

Cons

Working at a leading international legal-services firm can be very demanding, so everyone is not cut out for the workload. However, the company makes up for this by offering plenty of PTO and Holidays to ensure proper work-life balance.

Advice to Management

More healthy snacks!

""Nightmarish""

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at JAMS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offices are very stylish and beautiful; salaries are competitive; HR benefit package competitive but generous; National firm; neutrals are wonderful-top drawer so- to- speak. Could be a dream job.

Cons

Management sucks! Business managers are generally lazy; JAMS is a "youth" oriented organization. Not many employees over 50 years old. Too much is expected of the Case managers. Management very clique-ish with "mean girl" attitude; Working at JAMS is a nightmare packaged in a dream. Too bad.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight in management; listen to your Case Managers---they really are the heart and soul of JAMS; listen to your Neutrals- bad managers are bad news!