JBM Patrol & Protection Reviews | Glassdoor

James B. Mankowski

1. "Flexible Schedule"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Memphis, TN

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very accommodating, stress-free work environment with a flexible weekly schedule.

Cons

Keeping the clients happy, sometimes the rules and procedures change like the wind direction.

Advice to Management

Stop making everyone take an exam for promotions. What ever happen to using good ole common horse sense?

Sep 21, 2016 – President

Thank you for leaving a review for our company. Your thoughtful remarks will be shared with members of our Tennessee Team. John Kerr General Manager

2. ""Awful manager, okay work, can be interesting.""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at JBM Patrol & Protection part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You might work at some interesting locations that allowed for variation as to not be so monotonous, e.g. festivals, etc. It was not too difficult at all to get hired. Fairly simple, fairly easy.

Cons

My manager, in particular, was not very good. He would micromanage and call at late hours in the night to chastise my performance for the prior day. It depends on who your manager is if you have a good experience.

Advice to Management

Don't allow those who cannot manage others well become managers!

3. "Lack of Communication"

Former Employee - Security Officer I in Madison, WI

I worked at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of hours.
    If you work third-shift and want full-time, you'll get that and more.
    Uniform and gear is provided for free so long as you turn it all over in good condition.
    The chief is a great guy, although his busy schedule can make it hard to communicate with him.
    Great place to gain experience in Law Enforcement and a security background in general.

Cons

First off, scheduling and communication.

While working for JBM, I worked an average of 55 hours a week for five months. They needed people to cover for shifts over night because they were under-employed and had way too many clients. Scheduling soon became a problem and had only left me with one day where I didn't work, which was fine the first few weeks, but for five months, it drained me mentally. Prior to sending in my three-week notice, I had been scheduled to a client whom I've yet to work for, and had no instruction or prior training. Needless to say, it was almost a disaster. Afterwards I had written an email to Support Services about the incident. In said email, I had addressed my concerns about my schedule and that I requested the schedule be toned down a few hours so I may get my days off as I had originally requested. I also suggested leaving instruction manuals on sites about them so that any guard may know exactly what they are doing. All I received in return was an email notifying me that it would be forwarded to the rest of the scheduling staff. No response from them, and no change in my schedule. Two weeks later I put in my three week notice. Sure enough, my final week of work had arrived and I had looked at the schedule. They had scheduled me after my last day of work. I emailed the scheduling staff directly to alert them of this issue, yet no response was made. I then forwarded the message to the rest of the staff because they had failed to address it and I realized that support services wasn't even aware of my three week notice. A month later and I still received a call from a former employee if I could cover a shift. Another month later I still receive emails about shifts that are available and need immediate coverage. Climbing within this company is nigh impossible without having direct connections within the company. Communication between scheduling staff and it's employees is ridiculously difficult and is the reason why most guards quit.

Advice to Management

Work on communicating at the office to communicate better with your security guards. There should be no reason why a guard puts in a three week notice to realize that his last week there, he's scheduled for a shift the day after his last day would be. Don't take more clients than your guards can handle, otherwise you will lose business, along with reputation. There's a reason why many guards have been quitting, and I suggest that reviewing your staff one more time should address these causes.

"Unreal; appearance of due diligence, FAIL."

Former Employee - Security Officer I in Madison, WI

Pros

You will ALWAYS have someone new to train, in order to keep up with the turnover, so you WILL get good at training new people.

Cons

No pay for Orientation, minimum wage paid for Training, no pay for annual credential Training, worst rumor mill and back-stabbing creates hostile work environment, your co-workers have extensive negative legal and personal history background records, no established reviews for raises or promotions, schedule only comes out once a week on Tuesday between 1-6 P.M., no follow through from "the Office" on your benefits for time periods of earned benefits stated in employment agreement, paperwork is always lost by Office and they then withheld your paycheck for not doing THEIR jobs. Payroll has "losing" your hours and money down to an art; the person on the phone is never responsible, and the person you want to talk to is never in the office. Money: JBM has invented several new ways to remove money from your paycheck, don't be surprised when co-workers refer you to a Madison law firm to represent you in civil and small claims court-no lie.

Advice to Management

Sell it off to someone who cares about the clients and employee retention.

Sep 21, 2016 – President

Thank you for sharing this feedback. Needless to say, I am deeply troubled by the experience you had at JBM Patrol & Protection Corp. and I would ask that you consider calling me to share additional ... More

6. "Good place to work if you can maintain open schedule"

Current Employee - Security Officer
    Current Employee - Security Officer

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection part-time (More than a year)

Pros

JBM offers contracts at multiple job sights so the job is not mundane.
    Great management that tries hard to offer the best possible schedule for each employee.
    Diverse company with many great people.

Cons

Security is inherently unpredictable.. Sometimes there will be many hours to be taken for the day time and sometimes there are hours to be filled for night shifts. If you are willing to have a relatively open schedule this will not be an issue.

Advice to Management

Explain to new employees the difficulties of an unpredictable schedule before hiring. Employee turnover is incredibly prevalent in all security companies however, a lot of it is solely due to employees not realizing what the job entails.

Sep 21, 2016 – President

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our company. I am thrilled to hear that you have such a positive experience and that you appreciate the flexibility that your job provided ... More

7. "Anonumous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monona, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monona, WI

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want the hours - they are their.

Cons

Schedule changes due to other people deciding not to work.

Sep 21, 2016 – President

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for JBMPPC. We continue to try and find new creative ways to make the company better for our employees, clients and vendors.

8. "JBM Patrol&Protection is a professional and well structured Security Protective Agency."

Current Employee - Security Officer I in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Security Officer I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Highly supportive and encouraging Supervisors and upper command management. I believe we have great field Officers here with tremendous experience and potential for growth. I am currently assigned to the Minneapolis MN Office.

Cons

No cons that I can see at this point in time. Great Company to work for One of the best in the Security and Protective industry.

Advice to Management

I just want to say to upper command management keep up the great work!!

"OK Job"

Former Employee - Security Officer I in Madison, WI

I worked at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet lots of people.
    Depending on the post you get, you get to walk around a lot so good exercise.
    They offer training.
    Can be used as a stepping stone to get a better security job.
    It pays your bills.

Cons

-Schedule comes out the day before you have to work sometimes the day of. For those that have a set schedule it is not much of a problem but, for those that have changing schedules this is a huge problem.
    -They offer training but, never let you have it. They say it depends on the site which isn't true. They say it is based on the State requirements (Wisconsin has next to none for unarmed) and site requirements. This doesn’t hold water as I have been sent to multiple sites that required self-defense equipment but, was told I would be fine without it. The training officer was completely mystified as to why I was sent there untrained and unprotected. This training officer wore a bulletproof vest, had a firearm, pepper spray, and even a Taser.
    -Very cliquish there. If you are not buddy buddy with everyone in the office prepare for the short end of the stick every time. They want you to be a yes man/woman and to never question their logic or even their orders. Told that if I don’t like it quit!
    -Pay is ok but, don't expect a raise. Pay is per site but, only the premium paying sites go to their favorite employees. And if you work a premium site then go to a standard site your pay goes back to the base pay.
    -Was told during the first day of 'training' that JBM is not a career but, a job. Don't expect to get anywhere.
    -They don't hold anyone to the rules except those they don't like. You question anything they say, expect to have the book thrown at you whenever you misstep or don’t fill out your reports perfectly.
    -Pray you never injure yourself. If you do, expect a lengthy battle and to get chewed out by management every step of the way.
    -Turnover rate when I was hired was 62%! And they are proud of it!!! That should tell you about this company.
    -Regularly placed at very dangerous locations without any protection or weapons.
    -If you quit they will back date your pay and demote your pay to the current minimum wage. This is legal if you are informed of it when you start. This pay change is buried in the 18 pages of contracts and paperwork they have you sign. Which you don’t really get a chance to read as they will rush you through it.
    -Equipment is provided by them and paid for by you. Bullet proof vests are used which after a couple years smell bad and don’t comply with regulations, uniform is shirts are provided but, the rest you pay for. Good luck finding a decent fitting shirt, boots are cheap boots, belts are thin, and the duty gear is bottom shelf airsoft toys. But, they charge you more than top dollar for it. So my advice is to tell them to keep their “gear” and buy your own.
    -Benefits (in Wisconsin) are expensive and have a multi-thousand dollar deductible. So is useless.
    -Lots of contracts to sign when they hire you so READ THEM FIRST BEFORE SIGNING!
    -Make you pay for a drug test as a condition of employment which is a violation of Wisconsin law.
    -As stated in previous reviews by other employees, the higher ups will blame you for everything. This includes their incompetence. Your screw up or they screw up, still your fault. If you don’t believe me just read the replies to the negative reviews. They blame the poster for the company’s poor performance. They didn’t disclose the pay deductions? That is your fault for not asking something you didn’t know you had to ask about. They don’t care about their employees only the ability to make money. They will take jobs that they cannot fill and when they do send someone out training is minimal. Training is non-existent at new sites that they acquire and will write you up if you mess up due to you not knowing what is required of you at the site.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with way more respect and you will be treated the same. Allow people to take the training that you (falsely) advertise about so they are prepared for sites that need it. Give raises to encourage people not to leave. Learn how to do scheduling. Read the laws that you claim to know. And most of all remember, an employee is a person not just a warm body.

Jan 27, 2016 – President

Thanks so much for taking the time to review our company. We appreciate your candid remarks and encourage you to reach out to your supervisor to learn more about the rules and procedures that are ... More

"Great people and opportunities."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want the hours you can get the hours. If you tell them you want to pick up extra shifts they will find the shifts for you. They might not be the shift you are looking for and might have to work double shifts but they will find it.

Cons

It seems that the lower level management is not listened to. A site officer in charge and more over, corporals are never asked about other officers in regards to promotion. It also sucks to see some people that deserve and should be promoted just stay at the rank they are because they want to promote the favored one first. Most of the time that person should not be promoted. The one that gets the job done is too often over looked. They also tend to give too many chances to people who are a constant thorn in the side. People that are always messing up and getting other in trouble are still there. That is one of the reasons I left. The people that are always messing up or talk crap about the company are just a bad image and need to go, in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Let the trouble makers go, promote those who work hard for you and never suck up to you, try to promote from within instead of outside, ask those who have been with you for a while how they are and what they think needs to change and actually take what they say to heart, and remember that you are doing great things, you just need to smooth the edges a bit. Oh and try to find a way for the bigger sites to be involved in the interview proses. I think this would help to weed out the people that are just going to quit a week latter.

11. "The job was not too bad"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Madison, WI

I worked at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for armed patrol positions, advancement opportunity, recognition for a job well done, kind and supportive staff

Cons

They take on more contracts than there are guards to cover, so work schedules can tend to be tedious.

Feb 1, 2016 – President