JBM Patrol & Protection Security Officer Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Flexible Schedule"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Memphis, TN

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very accommodating, stress-free work environment with a flexible weekly schedule.

Cons

Keeping the clients happy, sometimes the rules and procedures change like the wind direction.

Advice to Management

Stop making everyone take an exam for promotions. What ever happen to using good ole common horse sense?

Sep 21, 2016 – President

Thank you for leaving a review for our company. Your thoughtful remarks will be shared with members of our Tennessee Team.

John Kerr
    General Manager

2. "Lack of Communication"

Former Employee - Security Officer I in Madison, WI

I worked at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of hours.
    If you work third-shift and want full-time, you'll get that and more.
    Uniform and gear is provided for free so long as you turn it all over in good condition.
    The chief is a great guy, although his busy schedule can make it hard to communicate with him.
    Great place to gain experience in Law Enforcement and a security background in general.

Cons

First off, scheduling and communication.

While working for JBM, I worked an average of 55 hours a week for five months. They needed people to cover for shifts over night because they were under-employed and had way too many clients. Scheduling soon became a problem and had only left me with one day where I didn't work, which was fine the first few weeks, but for five months, it drained me mentally. Prior to sending in my three-week notice, I had been scheduled to a client whom I've yet to work for, and had no instruction or prior training. Needless to say, it was almost a disaster. Afterwards I had written an email to Support Services about the incident. In said email, I had addressed my concerns about my schedule and that I requested the schedule be toned down a few hours so I may get my days off as I had originally requested. I also suggested leaving instruction manuals on sites about them so that any guard may know exactly what they are doing. All I received in return was an email notifying me that it would be forwarded to the rest of the scheduling staff. No response from them, and no change in my schedule. Two weeks later I put in my three week notice. Sure enough, my final week of work had arrived and I had looked at the schedule. They had scheduled me after my last day of work. I emailed the scheduling staff directly to alert them of this issue, yet no response was made. I then forwarded the message to the rest of the staff because they had failed to address it and I realized that support services wasn't even aware of my three week notice. A month later and I still received a call from a former employee if I could cover a shift. Another month later I still receive emails about shifts that are available and need immediate coverage. Climbing within this company is nigh impossible without having direct connections within the company. Communication between scheduling staff and it's employees is ridiculously difficult and is the reason why most guards quit.

Advice to Management

Work on communicating at the office to communicate better with your security guards. There should be no reason why a guard puts in a three week notice to realize that his last week there, he's scheduled for a shift the day after his last day would be. Don't take more clients than your guards can handle, otherwise you will lose business, along with reputation. There's a reason why many guards have been quitting, and I suggest that reviewing your staff one more time should address these causes.

"Unreal; appearance of due diligence, FAIL."

Former Employee - Security Officer I in Madison, WI

Pros

You will ALWAYS have someone new to train, in order to keep up with the turnover, so you WILL get good at training new people.

Cons

No pay for Orientation, minimum wage paid for Training, no pay for annual credential Training, worst rumor mill and back-stabbing creates hostile work environment, your co-workers have extensive negative legal and personal history background records, no established reviews for raises or promotions, schedule only comes out once a week on Tuesday between 1-6 P.M., no follow through from "the Office" on your benefits for time periods of earned benefits stated in employment agreement, paperwork is always lost by Office and they then withheld your paycheck for not doing THEIR jobs. Payroll has "losing" your hours and money down to an art; the person on the phone is never responsible, and the person you want to talk to is never in the office. Money: JBM has invented several new ways to remove money from your paycheck, don't be surprised when co-workers refer you to a Madison law firm to represent you in civil and small claims court-no lie.

Advice to Management

Sell it off to someone who cares about the clients and employee retention.

Sep 21, 2016 – President

Thank you for sharing this feedback. Needless to say, I am deeply troubled by the experience you had at JBM Patrol & Protection Corp. and I would ask that you consider calling me to share additional... More

4. "Good place to work if you can maintain open schedule"

Current Employee - Security Officer
    Current Employee - Security Officer

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection part-time (More than a year)

Pros

JBM offers contracts at multiple job sights so the job is not mundane.
    Great management that tries hard to offer the best possible schedule for each employee.
    Diverse company with many great people.

Cons

Security is inherently unpredictable.. Sometimes there will be many hours to be taken for the day time and sometimes there are hours to be filled for night shifts. If you are willing to have a relatively open schedule this will not be an issue.

Advice to Management

Explain to new employees the difficulties of an unpredictable schedule before hiring. Employee turnover is incredibly prevalent in all security companies however, a lot of it is solely due to employees not realizing what the job entails.

Sep 21, 2016 – President

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our company. I am thrilled to hear that you have such a positive experience and that you appreciate the flexibility that your job provided... More

5. "JBM Patrol&Protection is a professional and well structured Security Protective Agency."

Current Employee - Security Officer I in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Security Officer I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Highly supportive and encouraging Supervisors and upper command management. I believe we have great field Officers here with tremendous experience and potential for growth. I am currently assigned to the Minneapolis MN Office.

Cons

No cons that I can see at this point in time. Great Company to work for One of the best in the Security and Protective industry.

Advice to Management

I just want to say to upper command management keep up the great work!!

"OK Job"

Former Employee - Security Officer I in Madison, WI

I worked at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet lots of people.
    Depending on the post you get, you get to walk around a lot so good exercise.
    They offer training.
    Can be used as a stepping stone to get a better security job.
    It pays your bills.

Cons

-Schedule comes out the day before you have to work sometimes the day of. For those that have a set schedule it is not much of a problem but, for those that have changing schedules this is a huge problem.
    -They offer training but, never let you have it. They say it depends on the site which isn't true. They say it is based on the State requirements (Wisconsin has next to none for unarmed) and site requirements. This doesn’t hold water as I have been sent to multiple sites that required self-defense equipment but, was told I would be fine without it. The training officer was completely mystified as to why I was sent there untrained and unprotected. This training officer wore a bulletproof vest, had a firearm, pepper spray, and even a Taser.
    -Very cliquish there. If you are not buddy buddy with everyone in the office prepare for the short end of the stick every time. They want you to be a yes man/woman and to never question their logic or even their orders. Told that if I don’t like it quit!
    -Pay is ok but, don't expect a raise. Pay is per site but, only the premium paying sites go to their favorite employees. And if you work a premium site then go to a standard site your pay goes back to the base pay.
    -Was told during the first day of 'training' that JBM is not a career but, a job. Don't expect to get anywhere.
    -They don't hold anyone to the rules except those they don't like. You question anything they say, expect to have the book thrown at you whenever you misstep or don’t fill out your reports perfectly.
    -Pray you never injure yourself. If you do, expect a lengthy battle and to get chewed out by management every step of the way.
    -Turnover rate when I was hired was 62%! And they are proud of it!!! That should tell you about this company.
    -Regularly placed at very dangerous locations without any protection or weapons.
    -If you quit they will back date your pay and demote your pay to the current minimum wage. This is legal if you are informed of it when you start. This pay change is buried in the 18 pages of contracts and paperwork they have you sign. Which you don’t really get a chance to read as they will rush you through it.
    -Equipment is provided by them and paid for by you. Bullet proof vests are used which after a couple years smell bad and don’t comply with regulations, uniform is shirts are provided but, the rest you pay for. Good luck finding a decent fitting shirt, boots are cheap boots, belts are thin, and the duty gear is bottom shelf airsoft toys. But, they charge you more than top dollar for it. So my advice is to tell them to keep their “gear” and buy your own.
    -Benefits (in Wisconsin) are expensive and have a multi-thousand dollar deductible. So is useless.
    -Lots of contracts to sign when they hire you so READ THEM FIRST BEFORE SIGNING!
    -Make you pay for a drug test as a condition of employment which is a violation of Wisconsin law.
    -As stated in previous reviews by other employees, the higher ups will blame you for everything. This includes their incompetence. Your screw up or they screw up, still your fault. If you don’t believe me just read the replies to the negative reviews. They blame the poster for the company’s poor performance. They didn’t disclose the pay deductions? That is your fault for not asking something you didn’t know you had to ask about. They don’t care about their employees only the ability to make money. They will take jobs that they cannot fill and when they do send someone out training is minimal. Training is non-existent at new sites that they acquire and will write you up if you mess up due to you not knowing what is required of you at the site.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with way more respect and you will be treated the same. Allow people to take the training that you (falsely) advertise about so they are prepared for sites that need it. Give raises to encourage people not to leave. Learn how to do scheduling. Read the laws that you claim to know. And most of all remember, an employee is a person not just a warm body.

Jan 27, 2016 – President

Thanks so much for taking the time to review our company. We appreciate your candid remarks and encourage you to reach out to your supervisor to learn more about the rules and procedures that are... More

7. "The job was not too bad"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Madison, WI

I worked at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for armed patrol positions, advancement opportunity, recognition for a job well done, kind and supportive staff

Cons

They take on more contracts than there are guards to cover, so work schedules can tend to be tedious.

Feb 1, 2016 – President

"Milwaukee Ops"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate Work Site
    Excellent Site Supervisor
    Excellent Pre-Assignment Training

I have worked as a contracted security officer on and off over the past 22 years. I have worked for 3 different firms in addition to being a State of WI. Corrections Officer. (DOC) When I left the DOC in March I went to work for JBM Patrol and Protection. I have found this firm to be serious about providing customer service, documenting incidents and performing security work - not just a person in a uniform. I have worked for a national and a local firm during my career. I understand how the contract security service game works. I can honestly say, JBM Patrol does the best job, hands down. They are not perfect but they care and try really hard to balance the client and officer needs in order to keep everyone satisfied.

Cons

Working with the younger generation. They expect to be the Chief on the second day of the job, they cannot stay off their handheld devices and want the job until they get it.

Advice to Management

Hire only people who are over 40 with a work ethic.
    Look for more armed posts in the Milwaukee area.
    Continue to do your best to satisfy the needs of the senior officers.
    Start entry level officers at a lower wage and make them earn what their way up.

"Great company for a masochist."

Current Employee - Security Officer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Madison, WI

I have been working at JBM Patrol & Protection full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some positive items:

(1) The employees you work directly with are generally nice, competent individuals. Sure, there are the occasional idiots, but by and large those guys don't last or the company finds a hole to stick them in where they won't do any damage.

(2) Those who have been with the company for more than 4 years remember "the good old days." Times when the company was smaller and didn't have the struggles they do now. They can share some wonderful and wacky stories that give you a sense of a time when everyone worked together.

(3) You get time off when you ask for it correctly. I frequently ask for time off, and never once has it been a problem. Granted, I've never asked for time off at the last minute giving the staff a good 2+ week notice, so I don't know what happens when a last-minute change occurs, but generally, the scheduling folks are flexible enough to work with you to accomplish what needs to be accomplished.

Cons

Two major drawbacks to this company:

(1) Promises, promises. There are a lot of things they’ll say to you to get you through the door, but the reality is that what they say is either a total lie, or… not quite the truth. For example, when they say that something is “company provided,” they don’t mean it like how companies usually mean it. When a company typically says that training, equipment, a trip to Tahiti, etc., is “company provided,” what they mean is that the company will provide said things to you free of charge. The company requires them for you to do your job satisfactorily and therefore the company should pay for them. With JBM? “Company provided” means that the company will issue you items – typically items that are very low or at least of questionable quality – and then charge you (sometimes premium prices) afterwards. You aren’t told how much you’re going to be charged, nor even that you are being charged. You aren’t even given the opportunity to find better and/or less expensive items on your own. They simply say, “don’t worry about it… it’s company provided!” and then charge you afterwards via paycheck deductions that they don’t even give you the heads up for. Not sure this is legal-certainly isn't ethical, but after a while you give up asking such questions.

Some other examples:

-When they hire you, they tell you that vacation starts accruing immediately, but not available for use until after your first full year at JBM. This is what I heard when being hired, and what others have reported since. What they actually mean is that your vacation doesn’t start accruing at all until the end of your first full year. Here’s the funny thing: a LOT of companies have this as their standard policy--no vacation until after your first full year. JBM doesn’t even have to be dishonest about it. Just say what really happens and you’ll be in line with the standard.

-They constantly make it sound like training is just around the corner, when it’s not. Use of Force, Firearms, CPR, etc.? I was here nearly a year before I got any training at all. All that time I was working in some very dangerous situations and all I was armed with was a dim flashlight and a sharp wit. I wasn’t even formally trained in writing reports correctly, but I was heavily chastised when the reports were wrong. Which brings me to the second major drawback…

(2) Everything is the employee’s fault. Don’t take my word from it—read what the President of the company himself writes in response to negative feedback: “I am disappointed YOU did not take the time to speak with our personnel department.” It’s a very passive-aggressive way of blaming the employee, which is standard at JBM. “Had you known…” is essentially the line they gave. It's rarely, "had we trained you."

Now, if YOU have a problem with THEM (i.e. the home office), then there’s nothing but excuses. I’ve heard everything from “I don’t have time to take care of that,” to… and this is a quote… “I frankly don’t care about [that.] People just need to learn to do their jobs.” When you expect the command staff to do their job (e.g. leading, managing, preparing), they seem to have all kinds of excuses. However, if you screw up ever so slightly, then they don’t want to hear about how you're under-equipped or under-trained. They just threaten to take away your rank or your post or...

Advice to Management

No more excuses. Start holding yourselves accountable. Frankly, I don't see changes happening without transferring or firing several of the key command staff who do little more than drag the rest of the company down.

Additionally, be honest. I don't mean "don't be dishonest" but be proactive in figuring out what you're communicating when you use terms like "company provided," and other catch-phrases. When you say one thing but the employee hears another, you may or may not be at fault for that miscommunication, but here's the thing: you still come across to the employee as being dishonest and your integrity slips just a little bit. Realize that your "blame the employee" attitude only costs you in the end.

Feb 26, 2016 – President

JBM Patrol is proud of the fact that our officers and clients have very long tenures with our organization. Nearly all of our officers that leave the agency leave with honor and glowing reviews of... More

"Do not work here unless you have no choice"

Former Employee - Security Officer I in Madison, WI

Pros

Immediate hiring
    They pay on time
    The people I directly worked with were all great. Communication and comradery within the small group that I worked with was excellent. Outside of that and especially in the main office is where it begin to fall apart.

Cons

Weekly schedules
    Low pay
    Poor communication
    Company blatantly does not care about its employees
    They hire anyone and everyone
    Unstable scheduling

I am not even sure where to begin with this company but here we go. First off they highly encourage prior military, police and people with relevant degrees to apply. They will hire you but they will not take any of your experience into account when it come to paying you. You will make the same as the kid straight out of high school that has only worked at Taco Bell.

Secondly, the gear that they sell you is crap is they know it. So if you do work for them buy your own stuff. After about 6 weeks of working for JBM the boots that I bought from them brand new were cracked in half on the bottom. I took them in to show how they were cracked in half and had not even had them for 2 months. I was told everyone knows that the boots are garbage but what is sold to the employees is outside his pay grade. This is the type of caring you should get used to if you work for them.

One of the few good things about this company is the ability to pick up bonus coverage's for $20 and up but they manage to even make doing that a bad thing. The one and only time a volunteered for extra coverage I saw my next two schedules have drastically less hours than normal. Well under 40 and to the point were it negated all the extra money that I earned working the extra coverage.

I could go on like this all day but wont. I will summarize by saying again do not work here if you do not have to and if you have to do not stay long. Also be sure to buy your own gear.

Advice to Management

Im not sure there is anything you can do to turn this company around but if you want to start retaining quality employees start treating them as such.

Feb 26, 2016 – President

As with all professions, sometimes it simply is not a good fit. Often times, people make a decision to enter into a profession they are not suited for and find it difficult to make another change... More