JBS International Reviews in North Bethesda, MD | Glassdoor

Gail Bassin & Jerri Shaw

"Satisfied young professional"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in North Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in North Bethesda, MD

I worked at JBS International (Less than a year)

Pros

Significant opportunities for professional development, mentoring, and internal promotion.

Cons

Internal politics, long work hours.

"Not a rewarding experience"

Former Employee - Technical Assistance Coordinator in North Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Assistance Coordinator in North Bethesda, MD

I worked at JBS International (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, some people are nice.

Cons

Very poor management in the group I worked in: punctuality - no concern; my work was submitted by a co-worker who signed it without any acknowledgement; no balance between life and work, managers were dwelling on unnecessary details and omitting things that have been done by more creative and efficient way... happy to be out of there...

Advice to Management

Top management: when you pass by any cubicle, it is very nice to say good morning to even new worker in your company.
    Management of the groups: it is very encouraging to hear a praise after a job well done, not only reproaches when one error occurs. Also, communication is a must.

"Developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD

I worked at JBS International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No one do their job,everyone want to secure their jobs/Work from home

Cons

No future growth,mostly hire H1...

Advice to Management

Please have some management skills

"Managing Editor, Research"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at JBS International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive staff and management in my experience, great company vision to promote life and well-being, I'm proud to work here. In some cases they are open to alternative work styles like telecommuting. Great benefits.

Cons

Unclear career pathways at times.

Advice to Management

Need more transparency and avenues for mobility.

"Company does not recognize talent or sufficiently appreciate hard work"

Former Employee - Project Manager in North Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in North Bethesda, MD

I worked at JBS International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable compensation and willingness to be flexible for education or family situations

Cons

I was hired to work on a project remotely, but I felt like as a telecommuter I was not given the same opportunities as others for promotion. I did not feel my work was recognized even though I went above and beyond on a regular basis. I saw many talented individuals leave the project I was on due to being underutilized or insufficiently challenged. In many ways, JBS operates like a federal bureaucracy--replete with layers of administration and red tape to get anything done. The review process was maddeningly slow. I don't think clients get a good value for their dollar given all the extra layers of internal process involved. On my project, there was a mix of talented bright individuals working alongside others who seemed "burned in"--folks who didn't like their jobs and weren't particularly good at them, but had no plans to leave and seemed to have protected status from ever being laid off or let go. I also observed some toxic relationships and management styles that went unaddressed during the years I was there.

Advice to Management

Using 360 anonomous reviews might help you identify your talent as well as identify personnel issues that need to be addressed. Hire people you trust and then trust them that they can do their jobs at home if need be (e.g. for telecommuters spread around the country.) Consider increasing the fluidity between projects rather than hiring folks on a per project basis.

6. "Great company if you want to work in contracting"

Former Employee - Technical Assistance Manager in North Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Assistance Manager in North Bethesda, MD

I worked at JBS International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to start with little experience. Opportunities for advancement. Many friendly, welcoming, and kind people working there.

Cons

The office environment is rather boring. Most of the lower level positions are not challenging; however, they pay well for the amount of experience you come with.

Advice to Management

Organize events for staff to participate in and get to know one another.

"Great Company with Great Intentions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at JBS International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

JBS serves clients that strive to improve health and human services domestically and internationally. This is a company with a purpose and a strong mission. Many employees choose to work at JBS because they believe in improving the lives of others and working for a growing company. JBS is family friendly and supports professional development.

Cons

The company is challenged with finding a balance between staying true to its mission while still being a corporate force in a competitive market.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employees with potential and find creative ways to keep younger employees engaged.

"Lot of good people, no clear strategy for growth of company or path for advancement of staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at JBS International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some very dedicated, hard working, motivated people. Very much depends on the projects you work on and your team. Very accessible company, encourages teamwork. Friendly atmosphere. They have some very positive aspects, like promoting green/healthy initiatives, but they're pretty limited.

Cons

Though the company is more than 300+ people, functions like a small mom and pop shop. Not willing to invest to really strategically grow- in staff development, or in new areas. No clear path for advancement for staff- they lose a lot of good staff because of this.

Advice to Management

There needs to be equality in terms of treatment of different departments. Need to find ways to showcase the talent you have and invest in them and help them grow. Must establish clear pathways for advancement.

"A lot of bright minds. A lot of uncertainty about the company."

Current Employee - Research Assistant in North Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at JBS International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of hard working, bright people here. Good benefits. Challenging but rewarding contracts and projects to work on. The company seems to truly care about it's employees and the field in which is works.

Cons

Little room for professional development and growth within the company. There's a lot of internal competition going on and egos to compete with, especially among the Research Associates.

Advice to Management

Engage employees on a more personal level, understanding their goals and aspirations in their careers and within the company. Inquire more regarding the skills and expertise each employees bring and ensure that those strengths are highlighted in proposals. Monitor and ensure the quality of proposals, especially to reflect staff expertise.

"Could be a better experience."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Bethesda, MD

I have been working at JBS International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people and relationships developed here are outstanding. Smart workforce with very dedicated professionals.

Cons

Project directors are hired for their content expertise, but most have little management experience. Owners have control over all decisions.

Advice to Management

Pay employees based on their merit, not based on their relationships to others in the organization. Move away from project silos to use of employees based on their skillsets and experience.