51% would recommend to a friend
(77 total reviews)
59% approve of CEO
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of JCCSF and is not affected by filters.
Found 77 of over 84 reviews
Updated Nov 3, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 2.0Sep 14, 2023TeacherCurrent Employee, more than 5 yearsSan Francisco, CA
Benefits are decent and some colleagues are great.
Admin could be more supportive of teachers, but put their own image first when it comes to parent concerns. They throw the teachers under the bus when we are the ones working with the lack of support, e.g., implicating teachers as ones to blame for various issues, reprimanding employees in front of parents, etc. They seem to care more about selling to new families than making sure there is adequate teaching staff available to provide high-quality care. Teachers are left to figure things out on their own, then get criticized for the decisions they make in a given moment. There is a trend toward micromanagement lately. Advice to Management Trust that your teachers are capable, just as your school follows the Reggio Emilia Approach and subscribes to the idea that children are capable. Stop talking to and treating teachers like they are children. Stop condescending and reprimanding in front of parents. It's totally unprofessional. Notice and aknowledge the positive things you see in teachers' work. Spend time observing in the classrooms. It seems like you can't possible know what goes on in there, yet you only offer critiques and advice for what we should do differently. Much of this advice is confusing because it often doesn't apply. Instead, it seems as if you're checking boxes to justify your position as our manager.
- 5.0Oct 9, 2023Camp CounselorFormer EmployeeSan Francisco, CA
Really great training for the position and an awesome, enthusiastic team!
Sometimes the hours are long and some high maintenance kids.
- 4.0Aug 24, 2023Swim InstructorCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearSan Francisco, CA
Friendly staff and coworkers. Streamlined curriculum. Great facilities and employee benefits.
I wish there was more equipment that could be utilized to help kids through some hurdles in their swimming.
- 1.0Nov 25, 2022Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 1 year
The only reason this organization deserves 1 star is because of the few hardworking and dedicated individuals who keep this place running. I believe the CEO is sincere about wanting to improve the working culture but they have a long way to go. The health benefits and paid time off are great, but are well deserved.
1) Hourly/Non-managerial staff are part of a union-SEIU Local 1021. I have paid $89 a month in union dues and I can't justify why, other than the fact that it's mandatory and is automatically taken from my paycheck. Our union reps have been completely useless and basically MIA since COVID-19. I sincerely hope that the new shop stewards can work effectively with the union to finally get things done. 2) Your pay scale is associated with your job title and not necessarily dependent on other important factors such as work load, responsibility and skill. As a person of color who was responsible for many sensitive functions within the operating system, and who handled hundreds of thousands of dollars in transactions, it was disheartening to find out that I only made $6,000 to $7,000 more a year than my white, Jewish, male colleague who did not perform any financial transactions, and who hardly even knew how to operate within the main system. 3) Favoritism, workplace politics, and microagressions are unabashedly prevalent and make for a highly toxic and unethical work environment. There are quite a few "external" hires that are best friends/roommates with other staff-managers and executive team members.3
- 2.0Jun 8, 2023CounselorCurrent EmployeeSan Francisco, CA
nice gym and nice pool
the management are more than happy to cash in a check and do nothing while the institution crumbles around them
JCCSF Reviews FAQs
JCCSF has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 84 reviews left anonymously by employees. 51% of employees would recommend working at JCCSF to a friend and 29% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 6% over the last 12 months.
51% of JCCSF employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated JCCSF 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.0 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.