JCP Portraits Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • If you love working with kids/families and have a tolerant patience, this job is for you (in 9 reviews)

• You get a discount on the jcp store in general and it's fun to work with the children at times (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours inconsistent , low pay,high expectations (in 13 reviews)

• Hours were not consistent and pay was only minimum wage even though I had a photography degree (in 12 reviews)

1. "Chashier"

Current Employee - Associate in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Associate in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at JCP Portraits (Less than a year)

Pros

Being social with many types of people, providing great customer service

Cons

The job can be repetitive.

"Photographer"

Current Employee - Photographer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Photographer in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at JCP Portraits part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun taking photos of different families, the ability to get creative, cool coworkers, nice camera. training is good. You can transfer to different divisions (preschool, church)

Cons

No benefits for part time. Scheduling intervals are unrealistic (15-minute intervals), Holiday season is a mess.

Advice to Management

Change the scheduling intervals. 15 minutes is not enough when you give customers the option to choose more than 1 background and/or if they have an outfit change.

3. "Its okay"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at JCP Portraits (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Managers are cool

Cons

Customers and can get overwhelmingly busy

5. "Its a place to start"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calumet City, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calumet City, IL

I have been working at JCP Portraits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great discounts

Cons

Customers are RUDE staff can sometimes not be willing to be team players poor training for new hire. Low pay for people with experience. Upper management sometimes play favoritism

Advice to Management

Train better stop playing favoritism and try to pay people with their work for the experience

"Thankless job with low earnings"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Escondido, CA

I worked at JCP Portraits part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sometimes you get to interact with sweet families and create beautiful memories for them. Nice pictures, decent backdrops and props. You get a decent discount in JCP

Cons

A lot of clients are very demanding, rude and don't want to spend any money. Sometimes you spend 30 minutes on a shoot, plus 15 minutes on edit and sales and clients will buy one print for $3.99! It was frustrating. All this while the next client is waiting..!

Advice to Management

Increase wages, have assistants in every room with photographers to keep clients in room for allotted time. Do not book for 15 minute time slots, people never stay within time, lines of frustrated people wait in waiting area, enter studio in a bad mood.

7. "It was good"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, KY

I worked at JCP Portraits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have so many oportunities to grow up, and is so easy to work there. I defintly recommend work on jcp

Cons

The salary is no the best but is a retail store, if you dont have studies you cant ask for more.

8. "Photographer"

Current Employee - Sale Associate & Photographer in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Sale Associate & Photographer in Tulsa, OK

Pros

Love the company and customers new stuff and learn new techniques

Cons

Hours never really there unless you bring customers in after christmas you always have to worry about your hours until it peaks up again

Advice to Management

Was hired in at full time and went to part time because did not work the hours because i was not scheduled To .Its not fair to and employee after 6 years of service to have to worry about not getting hrs until it picks up and have to get a second job because of it

9. "JCP Portraits"

Former Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Photographer/Sales Associate in Boise, ID

I worked at JCP Portraits part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

25% off at JCP and could stack on top of on sale items
    20% off in the portrait studio
    Scheduling was pretty flexible
    Staff is very friendly

Cons

Although scheduling was pretty flexible the hours weren't the greatest. There were times when I was scheduled to work 5 hours, but was then sent home after 2 hours due to a decrease in appointments. Employee hours were based off of appointments, and there was no actual schedule. You got a call or message the night before if you were going to work or be on-call. And if you worked longer than what you were scheduled then that puts pressure on the closer to try and hurry up when closing to reduce the amount of hours we were allotted that day for employee hours. But honestly scheduled appointments are so unpredictable, and I don't think we should get punished for going over on time when we have no control over it.
    We all know that holiday season is always very busy, but there were times that I was not able to get a break because we were pressured to hurry up in a photo session to move onto the next appointment. But this is almost impossible if you are working with any newborns or toddlers who get fussy. And on top of that I sometimes felt pressured to pressure families to hurry up because my 15 mins with them was up.
    As far as trying to get a day off on holiday, yeah most likely not going to happen. But when it is off season then yes.

Advice to Management

I mean there isn't much the manager can do, since it is the company who sets these policies. But one thing would be the hours. Don't schedule a person for a few hours and then have to send them home after so little time. It is just a waste of money and time.

10. "Best as a side job"

Current Employee - Seasonal Photographer/Associate in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Photographer/Associate in Peabody, MA

I have been working at JCP Portraits (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co workers
    Reasonable hours
    Good for seasonal part time work
    Extra photography experience
    Work environment can be fun when not hectic

Cons

Not enough training
    Fussy and loud children
    Impatient parents
    Difficult/impatient/rude customers
    Treat it like a side job
    High stress

11. "It's OK"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Humble, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Humble, TX

I have been working at JCP Portraits part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to see cute babies.

Cons

Parents don't watch their kids. New Manager steals sale from crew members. I asked for for x amount an hr instead I got less while everyone else got 2xs more then me. Manager only cares about sales. He cheats customers out of their money. Also I only work weekends, so I only work one day out of the week. Maybe two if someone can't make it. Plus we're heavily understaffed.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, pay them what they ask or more. Also state how long training is. The new one didn't even tell me I was still in training after the old one left.