JDM Systems Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Validation Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Validation Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at JDM Systems Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Very competitive in salary. I was able to get a 30% increase in pay from former job.

2. Management who cares. I had issues with the contractor I was working for, JDM helped me find another area of work to get me out of the toxic project I was on.

3. Very good place for growth. I was a test engineer and was promoted to a higher position after proving my worth.

4. They take care of their employees, as long as they work hard. They will go to bat for their employees and make sure they are happy.

The only reason I left was I was offered my perfect job, if not I would have worked at JDM for my whole career.

Cons

Benefits could be better, the insurance is super expensive.

The owner is a little hot tempered. If he is upset with you, you are done.

2. "Not so bad while it lasted!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI

I worked at JDM Systems Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Recruitment process was quick.
    HR is quick to respond to any concerns, but not everything is in employees favor though.

Cons

I said goodbye as soon as my contract ended with the client. They have not tried to look to place me in other projects

3. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Farmington Hills, MI

Pros

Amazing company to work for, really makes you feel like your not working in just another company that needs another body.

Cons

Could use a little bigger field for recruitment.

4. "Big Consulting Mindset in a Small Medium Business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Pros

Great opportunities, wonderful office staff, and the management team really cares about their consultants.

Cons

Very focused on auto industry. Business could use some other industries to branch out in, such as health care and finance.

5. "High Turnover at Ministry"

Former Employee - Customer Service/Data Entry Specialist in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at JDM Systems Consulting (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beautifully designed campus.
    Hours were good.
    Job started out on a very positive note. There were many things to learn about how a large ministry is run.

Cons

Interpersonal relationships were such that many people's employment ended over the work environment.

Advice to Management

Management is running a business, but to improve morale, listen to the rank and file employees and heed their suggestions.

"Proceed with Caution"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Troy, MI

I worked at JDM Systems Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

JDM seems to be involved in cutting edge projects.

Cons

JDM recruited me away from another company and in four week fired me on the phone with no reason. Jeff Magnell, the owner, contacted me, told me that it wasn't working, that he was going to close the books on this and hung up on me. During my four weeks there, you would get different directives from the COO and Jeff, Jeff often changed his mind but forgot what he told you, he has no people skills but is highly intelligent. It is a tense and a very negative environment. When he fired me, he actually gave me a gift.

Advice to Management

Jeff Magnell should stay behind the scenes, he has NO people skills.

"Culture of fear"

Former Employee - Program Manager and Architect in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Program Manager and Architect in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at JDM Systems Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most employees were friendly and respectful, especially at leadership levels. The job was as described and clerical staff was very helpful. Salary was fair.

Cons

The laptop JDM provided was new, but a 3 year old "basic" model with a slow processor, very little storage and memory. Yet it was the envy of the developers, each of which had even older laptops. Unlike most consulting companies, there was no plan to ever update laptops.

The boss was extremely intelligent, knowledgeable and (apparently) successful.

Other than that, he was a poor listener and seemed pained to hear of successes, providing no acknowledgement on most occasions. On one or two instances, he provided the briefest possible.

He often responded to professionally written, thoroughly researched emails, with "swear words" (mostly the term abbreviated as "BS", only he spelled it out.) This was a surprise, as they were factual, not opinions. He only took a couple seriously.

He failed to anticipate that inserting a new employee between himself and two team leads would be unpopular with the team leads.

The team leads refused to work with their new manager, and spent much effort trying to assign tasks to their own manager!

The boos responded to this initially by having an org chart updated and showing them reporting to their new manager. When that failed, he ignored all subsequent requests for resolution.

One day he showed up and announced the client had cut his budget. He released me with no notice, even though I was a permanent employee.

Advice to Management

Employees need management support and freedom to work.

Please try to use evidence-based decision making. For example:

1. Instead of taking pride in never spending more than $500 per consultant laptop, recognize the years of studies that show computer performance is directly proportional to productivity, and IT consultants require fast machines.

2. There is a well documented 10x range of developer productivity. Financially, it is better to favor 9's and 10's over less expensive 1's and 2's.

3. Avoid using foul language with your employees. Show them the respect they deserve.

4. Even long time senior execs seem afraid to do anything that will upset the owner. Eliminate this culture of fear.

8. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at JDM Systems Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff in the office.
    Good communication and cooperation with clients.
    Great people in the team.

Cons

Salary and benefits may not so competitive.

"Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Pros

This is a good starting place to get decent experience that would ultimately lead to a better and more stable opportunity.

Cons

Management is disrespectful to employees and does not appreciate the efforts they make. HR dept is extremely difficult to work with. No performance or salary reviews. No bench time, the company does not work on your behalf to help you transition to next assignment (due to their lack of business opportunities)

Advice to Management

Need to value your employees or else you will have a continuous revolving door. Give respect to those doing the work for you. Reward employees for their hard work. Do something about HR!

"Nice company to work with if you are good"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hoffman Estates, IL

Pros

People are friendly and knowledgeable.

Cons

Only 5 days paid time off for first year.

Advice to Management

Nothing to complain.